Community Forum

Does Xfinity Mobile act as in-home just like WiFi?

Problem Solver

Does Xfinity Mobile act as in-home just like WiFi?

Apologies if another thread addresses this. I searched various terms, could not find what I’m looking for.

OK, half the time I am away from home, so my internet in that time period is my Verizon 4G/LTE unlimited plan. Very nice to use either the Xfinity Streaming app, or the apps provided by various sports networks (ESPN, Fox, NBC e.g.), to view on my iPhone by supplying my Comcast password. They all fall into the “TV Go” category in the Xfinity app.

Sadly, and $$-maddeningly, I can only view Tennis Channel, MLB Network, and NHL Network at home. In the Xfinity streaming app, they show as “in home only” status.

My question: if I ditch Verizon for Xfinity Mobile, and am away from home and not at an Xfinity WiFi hotspot, will the channels I just mentioned be viewable in the Xfinity streaming app as “TV Go” items, or sadly still be unavailable?
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Does Xfinity Mobile act as in-home just like WiFi?

@ForrestSwrote:
Apologies if another thread addresses this. I searched various terms, could not find what I’m looking for.

OK, half the time I am away from home, so my internet in that time period is my Verizon 4G/LTE unlimited plan. Very nice to use either the Xfinity Streaming app, or the apps provided by various sports networks (ESPN, Fox, NBC e.g.), to view on my iPhone by supplying my Comcast password. They all fall into the “TV Go” category in the Xfinity app.

Sadly, and $$-maddeningly, I can only view Tennis Channel, MLB Network, and NHL Network at home. In the Xfinity streaming app, they show as “in home only” status.

My question: if I ditch Verizon for Xfinity Mobile, and am away from home and not at an Xfinity WiFi hotspot, will the channels I just mentioned be viewable in the Xfinity streaming app as “TV Go” items, or sadly still be unavailable?

Nothing will change by switching

Official Employee

Hello ForrestS, the information that (mvenanzi) shared is correct. Your considered "in home" when you're connected to your home Wi-Fi. 

Contributor

That is a function of the streaming service and not based on the cell provider. The restrictions are based on being on your home WiFi which is an entirely separate issue from Xfinity wireless. The streaming service knows when you are not using your home network and will block the streaming regardless of the cellular data provider.