Community Forum

Data usage on Xfinity Mobile. Can I cap data usage at 100 MB for the month?

New Poster

Data usage on Xfinity Mobile. Can I cap data usage at 100 MB for the month?

With the free shared 100 MB of data usage per month, can I set up the account so that data just stops for that month when the 100 MB usage is reached and don't automatically buy "1 G"?

Tags (1)
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Data usage on Xfinity Mobile. Can I cap data usage at 100 MB for the month?

@ssllii wrote:

With the free shared 100 MB of data usage per month, can I set up the account so that data just stops for that month when the 100 MB usage is reached and don't automatically buy "1 G"?

Theres no way to cap it.

New Poster

Thanks.

Does anyone know of any data plan that caps and stops, instead of charging for the next block of usage?  Need a plan for a teenager that can't control his usage. ;-(

Bronze Problem Solver

@ssllii wrote:

Thanks.

Does anyone know of any data plan that caps and stops, instead of charging for the next block of usage?  Need a plan for a teenager that can't control his usage. ;-(

Verizon has parental controls to set data limits. One of the settings is "Block data use when limit is reached, but still notify me."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-80759/

Other major providers may also.

New Poster

Closest is to download an app like 3G watchdog android or data usage for iPhones and do passive not active monitoring.  Or turn off 3G/cellular data and only use wifi for data, that's what I would do.

Regular Visitor

Check out republic wireless.

New Poster

No you cannot do that.  I agree that we SHOULD be able to block data or cap data, but xfinity ahs not caught up if they ever do catch up

New Poster

No. I would like the ability to limit data usage too but xfinity wants your $ do they don't want you to not use data
Frequent Visitor

Turn cellular data off when you are approaching the 100mb. You can monitor usage with the Xfinity Mobile App. On an iPhone you can reset usage in settings to zero in Settings at the beginning of each billing period and monitor it there.

I do those things to stay under 1 GB and never run over.

Above all use Xfinity Hot Spots whenever possible.
Frequent Visitor

Yes take their phone away.

Barring that the unlimited Xfinity plan is sufficient for almost anyone. Yes it slows down at 20GB but so what?
New Poster

Best bet is to give them the unlimited plan and use them as the hotspot if you don't need the unlimited.

New Poster

@ssllii wrote:

Official Employee

There isn't a way to set up a "cap" on the free data portion of your XFINITY Mobile data usage. At this point, we only offer notifications of your usage, and I believe that starts once you get into the Gigabyte threshold. Check this out: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/how-to-track-data-usage-by-the-gig

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

I have my S10 set to notify me at 90mb and stop altogether at 99mb. I can easily override that though...