Community Forum

Data Usage Notifications

Frequent Visitor

Data Usage Notifications

It seems that the Data Usage Notifications notifications are based on shared data? Why, aren't by-the-gig accounts charged per device? Also, the notifications come at the full Gig of data used. Again, why? At that point it's too late. Verizon used to give us alerts when we had 10% of data remaining. (The percentage was user-selectable.) That way, if we were close to the end of the billing sequence we could monitor our usage to avoid going over the next Gig. Seems like Xfinity doesn't want to help us in that way. Instead, the alerts are effectively, "We just charged you for another Gig!"

And if that wasn't bad enough, I just got a message saying that the alert feature just got even more useless. Again, why? Please fix this, it's really my only complaint about the service!

Valued Contributor

Re: Data Usage Notifications

By the gig service is shared data across multiple lines on that plan. If you want data per line tracking you have to go with unlimited data for that line.

Xfinity will be changing their billing soon, and you will not be happy. They will no longer notify you by email gig by gig. You will only get an email notification once you cross 5 gigs.

You will have to use the Xfinity Mobile app or another app to keep track of your usage yourself.

Contributor

Wouldn’t it be nice if XM could show how much data you used as gb and mb. Example same as dollars and cents.  Instead of .1  gb show it as  .055 mb used.  Or if you go over the  .1 gb show the usage as  .857 mb to show how much data you used before you go into the next billing tier ie 1.945, 1gb 945mb. I am sure that XM has this information because that’s how they bill your account.  I think it would be very easy for them to show this on their XFINITY App.  

Valued Contributor

@Surf2826 wrote:

Wouldn’t it be nice if XM could show how much data you used as gb and mb. Example same as dollars and cents.  Instead of .1  gb show it as  .055 mb used.  Or if you go over the  .1 gb show the usage as  .857 mb to show how much data you used before you go into the next billing tier ie 1.945, 1gb 945mb. I am sure that XM has this information because that’s how they bill your account.  I think it would be very easy for them to show this on their XFINITY App.  

No, that is not how your accountis billed. If you are on the by the gig plan and you use more than 100MB but less than one gig, you are billed for one gig. If you use one gig plus one byte, you will be billed for 2 gigs.

Contributor

I understand how billing works.  I would like to know how much actual data I have used.  My suggestion is to show data used as   gb.mg   not as  .1 gb.  That way you would know as close to real time how much data you used.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Surf2826 wrote:

I understand how billing works.  I would like to know how much actual data I have used.  My suggestion is to show data used as   gb.mg   not as  .1 gb.  That way you would know as close to real time how much data you used.

I've never seen an app that shows usage that way, maybe there is one out there, look around. 

Contributor

No I haven’t seen or heard of an app like that either.  I would like Xifinty to show this information,  (gb.mb)  on the Xifinty Mobile app.  The Xfinify app where you can check your billing, activity, devices and support instead of .1 gb.  I would like to know how much actual data I used.  And I am sure XM has this information.

Regular Visitor

I found a couple free iOS apps that track usage, Data Monitor and My Data Manager. the second uses a VPN connection. The reported usage varies a bit, but considering how little cellular data I use, I don't know how much it would affect your results. FWIW, I think the Xfinity app reads 0.0GB until usage goes over 1MB, then it shows 0.1GB. As you said that is not very useful to watch the 1-99MB window. I usually check cellular data usage in Settings/Cellular, which also gives a breakdown of usage per app and system service.