Community Forum

Credit check failed while purchasing a iphone

New Poster

Credit check failed while purchasing a iphone

I already have a xfinity internet connection to my apartment and today I tried to buy a iphone with xfinity mobile. Once I go to checkout, site required the credit status check and it failed. As I have migrated to USA last month, I hope my credit score is not that matured. Is there a workaround that I still can purchase those phones? I even can pay the full amount for the phones but still site blocked me to complete the purchase. I don't know the meaning of checking the credit status even when I pay full. Can someone help me out?

Official Employee

Re: Credit check failed while purchasing a iphone

Hello dimuthu1990, since you do not qualify for the services you've requested based on the internal liability check. An external credit check (ECC) is required to proceed with the order, once this check is run you will be approved or they will reduce the requested devices requested to get your order to process. Please send me a private message with your full address, account number, and the name on the account by clicking my name (ComcastAmir) and then clicking "private message me" if you want to have an internal credit check performed.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

You can have a credit score over 800 with a 100 percent payment history and still have a "FAILED" . I know. I verified my credit score as above and was told I failed. That I would have to wait and they would monitor my payment history before I could get a third phone. I advised that I would pay for the phone in advance but was denied. It's evident they are not using credit scores to approve any cell phones over 2. I have pages of documentation in dealing with them
New Poster

How many billing cycles did you have to wait before they let you add another line? 

New Poster

I just had the same thing happen to me. 850 credit rating. Perfect payment history. Ported 3 lines from Verizon over past several months. Today went to port 4th line, no new phone just moving the line and was refused. No reason and explanation how to proceed. Totally disgusted with proces

New Poster

I just had the same issue . I have xfinity internet just got it along with cable and it said I was not approved. How can I get pass this ?
New Poster

Here's what happened to me today, in case it's helpful for others to read:

1) I just recently signed up for XFinity internet service.

2) This morning I tried to order a phone and wireless service online. Credit check "error" occurred. I knew it was because my credit was frozen.

3) I called the XFinity number they provided. They tried to order for me, but then said that yes, I need to temporarily lift the freeze on Equifax - even though I was buying the phone outright.

4) I lifted the freeze temporarily by calling Equifax.

5) I still couldn't buy the phone or sign up for service. Same issue. I called XFinity again.

6) They couldn't do it for me either. Here was the explanation, from a supervisor: once a credit check "fails", it stays failed for the rest of the month. It gets reset on the first of the month, so apparently I can try again then.

Assuming all this is accurate, I'd say: unfreeze your Equifax report before you even try to order. Maybe that would have saved me some of this trouble. Wondering if I'll have problems again on the first of the next month.

Contributor

Bobspla1, interesting topic.

I had heard that because the XM credit check is performed by a third party (not by XM), a temporary one day lifting of a security freeze may not work exactly as expected.

Keep us posted here.

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

@dimuthu1990 wrote:

I already have a xfinity internet connection to my apartment and today I tried to buy a iphone with xfinity mobile. Once I go to checkout, site required the credit status check and it failed. As I have migrated to USA last month, I hope my credit score is not that matured. Is there a workaround that I still can purchase those phones? I even can pay the full amount for the phones but still site blocked me to complete the purchase. I don't know the meaning of checking the credit status even when I pay full. Can someone help me out?

Paying in full for a phone, or anything for that matter, shouldn't trigger a credit check.

Cell phone service in the US is sold two ways - prepaid and postpaid. 

Prepaid service is where you pay for service in advance with either cash, check, money order, or a credit card. There is no extension of credit to you by the merchant, so there is no need to run a credit check. This does not mean they can't or won't run such a credit check though. Many prepaid cell phone services automatically shut service off if you have not paid in advance on time. The only way to get your phone turned back on is to pay up.

Post paid service is paid for in arrears. This places you in the position of OWING MONEY to someone. Most sellers of such service require a credit check or a deposit before they extend such credit. Xfinity cell phone service is paid for in arrears if you are on the by the gig plan. They require a credit check for this. It makes no difference how you pay - by check, credit card, go into the store and pay face to face or use the bill pay kiosk.  Other similar services that require credit checks or deposits are any metered service - gas, electric, water. All of these are paid for in arrears.

What I do not understand is when people freeze their credit reports, place themselves in a purchasing situation that requires a credit check, and act surprised and upset when the purchase is denied because their credit can't be checked. Whenever you freeze access to your credit reports you are warned in advance that this can negatively effect your ability to enter into business relationships where you are placing yourself in the position of OWING MONEY to someone.

If you don't want your credit reports accessed, then freeze them. If you don't want to be denied credit, then don't freeze your reports. You can not have it both ways. 

New Poster

Mine did the same thing . I was looking to buy an iPhone X
New Poster

gderf - I never said I was "surprised and upset" about the initial issue when my credit was frozen. The initial problem did not surprise me. And in fact I've been perfectly calm and respectful to every XFinity employee I've talked to, and my post was calm as well.

I lifted the freeze. It's still lifted. This is confirmed by Equifax. And I still, even at the start of a new month (if that ever mattered) can't get service, not even after hours on the phone with XFinity today. (And yes, my credit is excellent.)

New Poster

I have been trying for over a month to purchase second phone on Xfinity/Comcast account. Apparently, an excellent credit score and paying history with Comcast does not matter! I had a credit freeze that I lifted but apparently that was not the problem. My credit was never checked when I set up this account in January and purchased the first phone. Why a credit history and some ridiculous rule about a second phone purchase is in effect once a customer proves to be an honest one, is beyond me! I have been a longtime Comcast customer except for a short period of living in a neighborhood where only CenturyLink was available. Come on, Comcast! Is this any way to run a company?? I am very willing to BUY the phone outright and I pay monthly bill automatically, so let's get this issue resolved, please!

Official Employee

BBWeller1 wrote: I have been trying for over a month to purchase second phone on Xfinity/Comcast account. Apparently, an excellent credit score and paying history with Comcast does not matter! I had a credit freeze that I lifted but apparently that was not the problem. My credit was never checked when I set up this account in January and purchased the first phone. Why a credit history and some ridiculous rule about a second phone purchase is in effect once a customer proves to be an honest one, is beyond me! I have been a longtime Comcast customer except for a short period of living in a neighborhood where only CenturyLink was available. Come on, Comcast! Is this any way to run a company?? I am very willing to BUY the phone outright and I pay monthly bill automatically, so let's get this issue resolved, please!

I replied to your private message, please reach back out to me there for further assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Xfinity Mobile: Please help! How can I get the magical 4th line on our established family account?

or...

1. Can anyone tell me what credit score is required to appro.ve 4 lines?

2. Why can't Xfinity Mobile allow a $300 or even $500+ deposit in lieu of forcing credit checks?

This topic also matches my family's experience. We were only approved for 3 lines back in early August. The only reason we can't get our 4th line (that I can understand) is that the Xfinity Mobile approval & provisioning system requires unreasonable conditions to approve more than 3 lines. This policy is costing me ~$70 per month extra because I cannot move my 4th (and final) line off AT&T. This issue is also costing Comcast Xfinity Mobile a major amount of customer satisfaction.

a) I have a family with 4 members (2 parents, 2 older children). 

This should be a very typical and supported customer scenario.

b) We have been Comcast Cable TV, Internet, and Voice (landline) customers for over 7 years (though I am told that the billing systems do not communicate). 3+ years at current address and not planning to move.

c) We buy everything outright and we have no debts (except house which we paid off ~3 years ago). We purchased our 3 iPhone 8+ phones outright and I have a BYOP iPhone for the 4th line when I am allowed to give Xfinity Mobile my money.

d) My wife has good credit (>720) even after the 4 hard pulls over 3 months time. I've been told to try again after 6 months to establish billing history... but this is an unreasonable expectation given the marketing claims and others confirming credit score even above 800 makes no difference (per posts in this topic).

e) I am willing to pay Xfinity Mobile a $100+ deposit for the privilege of having a 4th line. I have been told the billing/approval system does not have a way to change this.

It costs me much more every month to not switch to Xfinity Mobile so the financial risk to Xfinity is negligible. Please review our account for approval. I'm really trying to be a positive and constructive customer. Thanks in advance. (At least let me know if I should post as a separate new topic)

This is also the first time we have ever failed a credit check... perhaps because we do not use credit in our life?

New Poster

Still hoping you can help me secure second phone on my Comcast account. I have excellent credit, NEVER have been denied any credit, ever!!! 

Would surely appreciate the help!

Regular Visitor