Community Forum

Charge to upgrade?

Contributor

Charge to upgrade?

I am on the verge of trying this out with at least one phone to start with, but I admit I am a little nervous after reading through the forums. Anyways, my question is about future upgrades costing $70 or $30 for iPhones. Is that saying that after 2 years (or whenever your phone is paid off), you have to pay a $70 fee just to buy a new phone at full price from Xfinity?
Contributor

Re: Charge to upgrade?

I think the Upgrade program refers to returning your old phone after 1 year and buying a new one.

Contributor

So if you are on a device payment plan, you can turn it in when half of it is paid off and get a new phone and pay $70 for it? But if it is paid off, can you get a new one any time with no fee?
Bronze Problem Solver

@D-manwrote:
So if you are on a device payment plan, you can turn it in when half of it is paid off and get a new phone and pay $70 for it? But if it is paid off, can you get a new one any time with no fee?

They are not really clear on how the upgrade works. It does say you if on payment plan, you turn in your old phone, buy a new one, and may have remaining due on old phone waived based on the condition of the old phone. It doesn't say how it works if you paid full price for you're phone.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115003084788/how-do-i-upgrade-my-phone

Contributor

That is what I read too and you're right, it isn't clear.  I guess I can understand them charging a fee if you still owe half on your phone because they are basically giving you $400-500 for your used phone in a way.  But if you already own your phone outright, I don't think they would charge.  I imagine though in the future when there are rebates for a phone, you wouldn't qualify if you are just using it to upgrade your line.  Hopefully someone can clarify this.

Official Employee

That is what I read too and you're right, it isn't clear.  I guess I can understand them charging a fee if you still owe half on your phone because they are basically giving you $400-500 for your used phone in a way.  But if you already own your phone outright, I don't think they would charge.  I imagine though in the future when there are rebates for a phone, you wouldn't qualify if you are just using it to upgrade your line.  Hopefully someone can clarify this.

D-man, we are working on rolling out a more comprehensive upgrade program where you can purchase a new device on a preexisting line even if you are making payments on a device already. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!