Community Forum

Changing Phones

New Poster

Changing Phones

If I buy a new iphone 8 through Xfinity and port in my number to that phone to get the gift card, can I switch out the sim card from that phone and put it into an old verizon iphone X without affecting anything on my plan?

Here is my situation: I switched from Verizon to Xfinity today and ported over two lines while bringing my own devices. My son went into add a third (his iphone X), but Xfinity Mobile said there was some sort of error on the account blocking the addition of adding a BYOD line (which seems to be common per here, here, here, and here--seriously Xfinity, you need to figure this stuff out). What I am thinking: I will buy an iphone 8 from Xfinity to get the third line on the account, port my son's verizon number to that phone, and then switch the iphone 8 sim card into my son's iphone x and sell the iphone 8. Would that work?

If it would work, would I still be eligible for the gift card promotion? Does the gift card promotion require that the phone stay on Verizon for 90 days or does it require that the line stay open for 90 days? The terms of the promotion aren't clear.

The terms state: Offer requires purchase of qualifying Apple iPhone, activation of a new Xfinity Mobile line and porting of phone number to Xfinity Mobile for each new line. Must remain a Xfinity Mobile customer with an account in good standing for 90 days following Xfinity Mobile line activation. $200 Prepaid Card mailed to Comcast account holder within 16-18 weeks of activation of all required services and expires in 180 days. 

Contributor

Re: Changing Phones

Based on the information you stated I think it would be a lot easier just to buy a new iPhone X from XM, port your sons number for this phone and sell his old iPhone X.  He should easily be able to get the Verizon phone unlocked and the rebate would not be a potential problem.

New Poster

wrote:

Based on the information you stated I think it would be a lot easier just to buy a new iPhone X from XM, port your sons number for this phone and sell his old iPhone X.  He should easily be able to get the Verizon phone unlocked and the rebate would not be a potential problem.

You aren't wrong. But that approach would end up costing $300-400 (assuming a new iPhone X is ~$1100, rebate of $200, and selling old phone for $600 [which is above going rate on resale sites]). I'm not willing to go that route to solve Xfinity's poor set up. It just seems crazy that it can be this hard to give my money to Xfinity. I never had this sort of issue setting up with Verizon.

Contributor

I understand but I’d be careful with switching SIMS and selling an 8 that  probably would be locked to Xfinity mobile.

You might be better off just waiting a month or two and bring over his phone directly.