Community Forum

Cell Phone Call in Canada

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Cell Phone Call in Canada

If I want to use my mobile phone to call someone in Canada when I am in Canada, do I need to dial 1 first, then the area code? Do I need to have Roam on?

Contributor

Re: Cell Phone Call in Canada

You will need to turn roaming ON unless you only plan to use WiFi Calling while connected to WiFi. All roaming minutes and texts in Canada, outgoing and incoming, are $0.10. Roaming data is expensive at $50/GB ($.05/M. If you plan to roam they suggest that you turn of cellular data for most of your Apps. 

If you have an iPhone and have turned on “Dial Assist” in your Phone settings you probably won’t have to enter the “1”. I don’t know about other phones. 

Regular Contributor

I'm still confused by "Roaming data." I can't turn off automatic Android updates on my LG cell phone. I'll see if I can turn off Mobile Data with Roaming on. Typically, I leave both Mobile Data and Roaming off because I only use my cell phone for texts and calls. I don't need data.

@DaveO3 wrote:

You will need to turn roaming ON unless you only plan to use WiFi Calling while connected to WiFi. All roaming minutes and texts in Canada, outgoing and incoming, are $0.10. Roaming data is expensive at $50/GB ($.05/M. If you plan to roam they suggest that you turn of cellular data for most of your Apps. 

If you have an iPhone and have turned on “Dial Assist” in your Phone settings you probably won’t have to enter the “1”. I don’t know about other phones. 

Regular Contributor

@DaveO3 wrote:

Is a roaming minute charge only when you're talking, or is the charge for each minute that you're connected to a roaming carrier?

Contributor

You will be charged $.10 a minute for incoming and out going telephone calls while roaming. If you are on Wi-Fi calling you will be charged three cents a minute for calls to Canada while incoming calls are free. You will be charged separately for data at $50 per megabyte Which does not apply to telephone calls.