Community Forum

Cannot connect to xfinitywifi

Frequent Visitor

Cannot connect to xfinitywifi

I have an iPhone X which is not connecting to xfinitywifi. It says “unable to join the network”. This is happening everywhere I try to connect to xfinitywifi. It does eve try to auto connect either. I have to
Manually select it....any clues?
Most Valued Poster

Re: Cannot connect to xfinitywifi

Have you downloaded the Xfinity Hot Spot App from the Play Store and logged in using your account info?  That is what I needed to do on my S5. 

Frequent Visitor

I did. And it installed something in the phone. Under general > profile it does show xfinitywifi but it won’t connect
Official Employee

Hi Ddudly, it sounds like you may be outside of the range of the hot spot. There are times when your equipment will see the hot spot but will be unable to connect due to the distance you are from the source of the signal. Please ensure you're within 200ft of the hot spot to connect. You can also use the hot spot app to find the closest signal to you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I will try again later today. But I cannot even see the xfinitywifi signal being broadcasted form my modem anymore. I noticed that last night. However, I am able to connect to my secure network. I checked my modem settings and the hotspot option is on so I am intrigued by this issue

Bronze Problem Solver

@Ddudly wrote:

I will try again later today. But I cannot even see the xfinitywifi signal being broadcasted form my modem anymore. I noticed that last night. However, I am able to connect to my secure network. I checked my modem settings and the hotspot option is on so I am intrigued by this issue

If you have a tablet or laptop, you could test your wifi with it to prove whether its a modem or phone issue.

Official Employee

Ddudly, I have heard from customers on the forums that connecting to the hotspot automatically is disabled if the XFINITY Hotspot app is installed. Just so you know. 

Have you recently changed your XFINITY.com credentials? When you connect to the hotspot, have you tried opening up your web browser? If the password isn't saved or incorrect, it should prompt you to reenter your credentials. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Even when apparently connected to an Xfnity wifi hotspot, there is sometimes no interet connection. Note screen shot below showing connection the hotspot router but no internet connectivity (no wifi icon at top). This happens frequently. Sometimes a wifi icon 'blinks' on and then off. I tried toggling wifi off/on on my iphone 8, but makes no difference. 

IMG_0150.png
Frequent Visitor

I have this problem too. I am right next to the hotspot and cannot connect. I can connect to every other hotspot fine just not xfinity. My iPad Pro connects fine, so does my iPhone 7, but not my iPhone X. It seems the xfinity hotspots have problems with iPhone X.
Regular Visitor

same issue; cant connect to xfinitywifi on iphone X running ios 11.4 beta; but can on my ipad (also running 11.4);  I have tried reinstalling the xfinity profile but no change. 

Official Employee

Hello Jim73, I can assist you with getting connected to a hot spot. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"?

New Poster

Same issue , would love assistance on this. I've been easily able to connect to the same hot spot for a year now, and all of a sudden I cannot connect to it.  I tried everything to fix my phone and ipad, nothing worked.  The xfinitywifi pops up on the list, but then it states "cannot connect to xfinitywifi"  I also noticed the xfinitywifi network keeps appearing and disappearing on the list.

would love help, your chat is not working at the moment.

Regular Visitor

I tried connecting to an xfinity hotspot at work and both the ipad and iphoneX connected without issue..  Seems to be an oddity at home..

I should point out the modem at home is one of the 1gig comcast modems.

Official Employee

@kwiswall1 and @Jim73, I replied to your PM's please reach back out to me there. 

New Poster

I'm having the same issue. When i try to connect my Iphone X it says unable to join the network "xfinity wifi"

Please help

New Poster

I also have the same issue with an iphone 7 that prompts "unable to connect to xfinitywifi" As soon as I tap it, I did everything and even reset the network settings.

New Poster

I’m having the same problem with my iPhone 6s. I’ve always been able to connect automatically to xfinity WiFi then yesterday it all stopped. It says unable to connect if I try to do it manually
New Poster

I am having the exact same issue with my iPhone 8 Plus. Have current Xfinity WiFi hotspots app downloaded. My wife’s IPhone 8 is connecting with no issues.
019DD822-3751-458C-B567-2D0E9917C1C6.jpeg
New Poster

Same problem here. I have an iPhone 8, and see a xfinity hotspots nearby but I get the message unable to join.
3C29AE70-A19A-463B-9795-5BA7F3982393.png
533EC904-50D8-446C-A0F8-5C475DFC4022.png
New Poster

We are running into the same issue. My son’s iPhone 8+ won’t connect, but my iPhone 8 will. I’ve installed the Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspot stuff on both phones, yet his still won’t connect. Weird.
New Poster

My iPhone 7 connected fine and now all my data is being eaten up at work because it won't connect to my xfinitywifi hotspot. Never had any issues on my 7, only when I got my Xs did it stop working. I've done every single possbile solution that has been suggested on these forums, the internet etc. NOTHING IS WORKING! It sounds like it was an issue on the X and I guess never resolved for the new phones either.

Official Employee

Darksubrosa wrote: My iPhone 7 connected fine and now all my data is being eaten up at work because it won't connect to my xfinitywifi hotspot. Never had any issues on my 7, only when I got my Xs did it stop working. I've done every single possbile solution that has been suggested on these forums, the internet etc. NOTHING IS WORKING! It sounds like it was an issue on the X and I guess never resolved for the new phones either.

Hello, in most cases when you can't connect to a hot spot that you can see in your network list it is due to your distance from the data source. Try moving around your building or finding other hot spots in the area to connect to. You can use "Xfinity Hotspot app" to help you find and connect to the closest hotspot near you. 

New Poster

No that’s not the problem, my phone connected fine from my desk before. It’s ONLY ON THE NEW PHONE IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT! This is a known issue that’s directly related to the X and Xs etc yet it’s being ignored and we as customers are being told to move around????!!!
New Poster

No, I agree. It’s not about the distance of where the xfinity Wi-Fi is, unless you moved every single one of your towers. I try connecting in the same places I always have, and it won’t work with my iPhone 8. Is it something with the iOS configuration that won’t allow for it? Never had the problem until I got this new phone.
Expert

@Darksubrosa wrote:
No that’s not the problem, my phone connected fine from my desk before. It’s ONLY ON THE NEW PHONE IN THE SAME EXACT SPOT! This is a known issue that’s directly related to the X and Xs etc yet it’s being ignored and we as customers are being told to move around????!!!

This is correct.  If you do a search of the internet, you'll see that this is affecting, and has been affecting, the iPhone X, XS, and X Max, and is an Apple problem, not a Comcast problem.  So far, just doing some light reading, I haven't seen a fix

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Valued Contributor

I presume you have tried installing Xfinity secure wifi profile? I have an iPhone X (not Xfinity Mobile) and it connects to xfinitywifi about 80% of time and to XFINITY about 60% of time. Sometimes XFINITY will complain about my password; other times it'll just connect automatically without my knowledge. These hotspots are at variable locations though. I don't think it's my phone's issue.

New Poster

I try to join xfinitywifi on my iPhone xs max and it says “unable to locate” or something stupid like that. It doesn’t even come up in my list of available networks
New Poster

Yeah, I installed the profile, signed into my account and even shows as verified on my phone. Whatever the problems is, on the Mac iOS or Xfinity I really wish they would get it resolved.

New Poster

I finally figured it out based on one of the other comments, but the comments weren’t detailed enough. First, install Xfinity Authenticator. Be sure, at least on mobile devices, to set up so that you can authenticate with Touch ID.
Then, download the Hotspots app. Don’t fill out the part asking the name of your device—just your login and password.
Once you get in the app, go to the settings, and download the offline data. Then, scroll to the bottom of settings in the app and install Security Profile. Even if you have an old one on your device already, just leave it there, and you’ll have two.
Once you do this, you’ll be set! I worked beautifully once I did all this. But it wasn’t intuitive or obvious on how to set it up.
Hope this helps!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the information. Followed it to the T on my iPhone 10s but it still won't connect. Unable to join the network "xfinitywifi" I've spent hours on the phone with Xfinity and Xfinity Mobile today resetting the network, putting my phone in airplane mode and shutting it off, to uninstalling my sim card. The main reason I went with Comcast mobile was due to  the advertising of hot spots working flawlessly with Data. Nope!! I'm ready to cancel my service.

Tags (1)
New Poster

I spoke with Apple today on the phone. It is NOT an Apple issue, it's an issue with Comcast and their profiles or some other back end issue. The Apple rep called Comcast for me and I have a ticket open for this issue with Comcast. I'll report back whatever they say when they call me back within 48 hours after speaking with their engineers. It was funny how the Apple rep was able to find the issue instantly online but the Comcast rep said she couldn't find any similar issue. Maybe I'll make some progress here and get back to connecting. If it were a hardware/software issue with Apple I'd not be able to connect to other wifi connections, not specifically and only xfinitywifi hotspots. I have zero issues connecting to anything else, even my xfinity wifi at home.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks! Exact same issue I’m having. Tonight Xfinity mobile wanted to replace my phone with a refurbished one. Ridiculous! Let us know please.
New Poster

Sorry to say that was the most worthless phone call I've ever had. All the woman was doing was reading from a script and telling me my account was good and that there are no known issues. I was like well if there are no known issues why are so many people having issues and why does my phone not connect to your network. I spent 30 minutes with her telling me the same thing over and over and over again. I HATE outsourced call centers who barely speak English and have zero common sense.

New Poster

I’ve done all of that. Can see HotSpots in App (I’m in the building where hotspot is located so I know it isn’t a distance problem). The Xfinity WiFi doesn’t show up in available networks. It’s extremely frustrating!
New Poster

Having the same issue myself. Started the very day I picked up an iPhone XS Max. I can’t stand right on top of an xfinitywifi (SSID) and my phone with decide it can’t connect or when it does, the speeds are barely usable to sign in! I’m signed in, but the fastest speed (0.2 Megabits) compared to my old phone in the same spot of 10+ Megabits shows it’s very much a newer iPhone issue or Comcast WiFi issue with virtual SSIDs.
New Poster

I ended up getting a new phone and mine is now connecting after going through every step possible. Apple just ended up issuing me a new phone and it's connecting now even though diagnostics said nothing was wrong with it, obviously something was.

New Poster

Anyone have any luck finding a fix for this? I have tried forgetting the networks, resetting network settings, downloading xfinity WiFi app, resetting all settings, rebooting phone with home button held, security profile installed and deleted, all other WiFi networks work, but not xfinity ones, and only on my iPhone 8, my iPad Air works just fine.
New Poster

Same issue here. Ipad was working fine with xfinity cable but now I'm unable to connect to network. Was on chat with xfinity and now I have been referred to higher help thru phone call by end of day.  So we will see.

New Poster

Their advanced technical support consists of some overseas person looking at a prompt and has certian programs. If there isn't an obvious issue they won't help or actually use common sense to help research the issue. Nor do they even remotely care. You might as well be talking to a robot.

New Poster

Great. My laptop, iphone and a ipad mini work fine. I do have a weak signal here. A tech came out last week , said it was weak at main box so would make a report. On Monday another tech came out and took cover off the box at my house and the box next to me. Tech left with box tops off and oddly this is when my wifi connection issues started.

New Poster

This seems really silly, but it works for me.  When you login, only enter a username and password.  Leave the device name blank.  I saw this hint elsewhere and it works for me.  I'm connecting just fine, now!

New Poster

got the answer as you did they told me just move around 😂
Contributor

iPhone users are NOT the the only ones having this wifi issue with this horrible carrier. I (and others) have been continually having these same (or similar) issues with the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. There are probably other brand/model phones affected as well.

Even when I do occasionally get connected to an "XFINITY" or "xfinitywifi" Hotspot, it is only for a short time that I actually get any internet access. It usually stays connected and has a good signal strength, but there is no access to the internet. Restarting the connection or the phone does nothing to fix this issue. Neither does performing "network  reset",  which seems to be the only tool that these XM clowns have in their tool kit.

See these threads -

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Re-XFINITY-Secure-WIFI-CA-Certificate-Required-for-...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Re-Xfinity-Galaxy-S8-phones-are-not-secure-on-Xfinity-s...

New Poster

Xfinity Wi-Fi pass is blaming it on hotspots and my device but it's awfully funny that more than myself cannot connect to Xfinity Wi-Fi pass. this is been going on since yesterday evening and they tried to tell me to troubleshoot and I keep trying to tell him it's not my device because there are other people who can't access it either. So they need to either fix it or give me back my money. Because I don't feel like paying for a 30 day for nothing
New Poster

Why cannot connect to xfinity WiFi?
New Poster

Still having this same issue. Started almost immediately after getting the newer iPad and iPhoneX