Community Forum

Cannot add new mobile line for BYOD at Xfinity Store

Regular Visitor

Cannot add new mobile line for BYOD at Xfinity Store

I am trying and pushing this issue for a week now. I got exactly the same issue with other people in this forum when trying activate BYOD at the Xfinity store. I visited the store 3 times last week, and the issue still not be resolved. When the staff at Xfinity store entered my DOB and SSN, It showed the error message in attachment said "cannot complete order in store, additional information is required". The staff opened ticket to tier2 (ticket#20719426) on Monday Apr 16 since they had no idea how to figure out this issue. I called to technical support and they said my profile is fine at the backend, you are eligible to enroll new BYOD. They keep saying that "we cannot do anything with BYOD over the phone, only staff at the store can do. In this case, the staff at the store cannot do anyting as well.

My last attempt is here..... in this forum. I hope someone can help me figure out the situation. I have iPhone6s "unlocked" from AT&T.
F25557CE-EC36-45BA-A0DF-EE7C03EBA276.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

Re: Cannot add new mobile line for BYOD at Xfinity Store

I'm having the EXACT same issue. They could get to my account and to the portion that asks them to input the Sim card before, buy now they can't even get to that part because that pops up. I've also spoken to Xfinity Internet and they have confirmed 100% that there's no flag on the account or anything of the sort. Also, they also mentioned this is a "Byflow" error, if that makes any sense to any Xfinity Mobile employees here in the forum. Thanks
Regular Visitor

this is happening to lots of people. Basically, the system wants you to buy a COMCAST phone and not bring your own phone, despite all the ads saying that you can bring your own phone. In my experience, they throw in all sorts of excuses, such as "there is a flag on your account" (despite the fact that I have Comcast cable and internet at three homes and a great credit score) or a fake "fraud alert" is on your account and they don't know how to remove it. In essence, there appears to be an engineering issue blocking most people from bring your own phone, and they will not even estimate how long it will take for them to decide to fix it-- if they do it at all. For me, it has been 2 1/2 months since I tried, and have tried repeatedly. They claim they cannot overrule this, even at the highest level. Makes no sense at all, but the paranoia in me thinks for a free basic service there is nothing in it for Comcast if you bring you own phone and don't buy data from them. Why would they bother to fix it? Shocking. At one point at an escalated level, I chatted with the rep and said I have had nothing unusual in my credit history other than identity theft quickly caught, not involving cable or Comcast and that was 25 years ago (!); the rep then said maybe that's why I am having a problem. I said Comcast had no problem setting up three accounts for me, one for over 30 years and two recently, and so that was no excuse that made any sense, and said he was just trying to find anything to say, even if ridiculous; he laughed and said I guess you are right. 

Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much for responding. I have to agree with you. This seems like a deliberate attempt to NOT fix their system. I'm considering legal action for the sole purpose of having them fix it. Will let you know how it goes. In the meantime, I ordered their phone but will activate it once it arrives and will then return it after adding a line to see if it triggers something in the system that allows them to do so. I've already reached an agreement with Xfinity Mobile so that I don't get charged the restocking fee. And in the event they charge it, they will issue a refund. The amount of time I've wasted has been ridiculous.
Official Employee

Hello All, 

BYOD is handled solely in store. From my experience, BYOD issues stem from issues with your credit report (blocks on your credit report, extra security measures), non compatible devices (if you got to that stage), security issues with your XFINITY login (you can try changing your password to a more complex password and then retrying BYOD), or pending online orders (where you started the purchasing process for an online order for a device and at check out, you cancelled the order). 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Hello KenF,

I completely understand all of that, that's actually a good thing. What I cannot understand, under any circumstance, is that Xfinity Mobile does NOT have a system in place where those blocks can be reset with a verification on the part of the customer. What you are saying is essentially that if you mess up on that initial chance to BYOD, then there is nothing in the universe that can help you, but I find that absolutely ridiculous. That's equivalent to your system accidentally charging me double for something and then you telling me that there's only one chance your system has to charge me correctly, and if that somehow has an error and I get charged double, then there's nothing you can do. Please escalate to management, to Greg Butz, so that they fix this absolute nonsense. I'm sure you understand the absolute ridiculousness and absurdity of this current system you have in place, don't you? Beyond belief.
Official Employee

alvalfonso, I understand your frustrations. I am not aware of a work around for this issue in BYOD. Until there is one, you have the option of trading your current phone toward the cost of a new device purchase. I will forward your feedback to my leadership. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Hello KenF, I know it's not your fault, however, you have to agree that the last response you provided, for a multibillion dollar company, is absolutely unacceptable. I could very easily sue Comcast for deliberately not trying to fix this issue and for not having any timeframe for it. Please take this to upper management. This response is not acceptable from Comcast. What Comcast is saying is that I'm <language circumvention, forums violation> as a customer. I spoke to a few folks at the store yesterday and they said that this has been happening for around 10 months. So I have to wonder if it's a deliberate attempt to not fix it so that the consumer buys YOUR devices at full price instead of BYOD. I am amassing a large amount of info on these forum and visiting several stores and speaking to employees on the phone (letting them know that the conversation is being recorded) so that I have grounds for legal action just to raise awareness at an executive management level so that they can fix this nonsense.

Official Employee

alvalfonso, I understand where you're coming from but I do not have a work around for you at this time. At this time, all support for BYOD is done in store, so that is your best bet for finding a way around any issues with activation or enrollment. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Hello KenF, nothing can be done in store since there is a "fraud block" on the account. I'm already working with Amir from this forum and he's escalating a ticket to tier 2 and 3 and to the fraud department.

I just wanted to make it clear to you that there is absolutely NOTHING that can be done at the store since the system specifically tells them to tell me to call. Still, I find it absolutely ridiculous that since this issue has been occurring (for a few months now as per several employees at the Miami and Kendall stores) it's not been addressed by a multibillion dollar company that Comcast is. Through their inactions to address this issue, Comcast is providing me with solid proof that this is a deliberate attempt by executive management to make the customers pay full price for the devices, this should not bode well for Comcast in a legal case. There is nothing stronger or more dangerous to a company that is purposely damaging its customers than a determined customer that won't take no for an answer, and I am wholeheartedly determined to fix this and raise awareness. I have amassed enough information and proof to approach my local news channels so they can do a segment on this. Depending on how it goes with Amir (who has been fantastic and greatly helpful and genuinely trying to help me), I will then approach the local news channel.
Official Employee

alvalfonso, thanks for those details. I'd like to take a look at the ticket you have opened. Feel free to send me a private message with your account info so I can take a look. 

KenF

Regular Visitor

None of what you said is true. The "fraud alert" seems to be put on accounts when someone tries to BYOD, even if there is no fraud alert, no history of fraud, no problems with Comcast in the past, perfect credit scores, a long history of service with Comcast telephone and internet--no issues at all-- it's just that Comcast wants you to buy their phone! Contrary to what you say, the store makes it clear this is happening frequently-- only with BYOD-- and they cannot investigate it , reverse it, or help. This is a major corporate failing, and the company benefits from the problem, which they claim they will fix at some future date-- of their choice!

Frequent Visitor

Yup, I'm already in communication with a local news channel so they pursue this story and make a fuzz about it. This has grounds for illegalities and a class action lawsuit could follow.
Official Employee

None of what you said is true. The "fraud alert" seems to be put on accounts when someone tries to BYOD, even if there is no fraud alert, no history of fraud, no problems with Comcast in the past, perfect credit scores, a long history of service with Comcast telephone and internet--no issues at all-- it's just that Comcast wants you to buy their phone! Contrary to what you say, the store makes it clear this is happening frequently-- only with BYOD-- and they cannot investigate it , reverse it, or help. This is a major corporate failing, and the company benefits from the problem, which they claim they will fix at some future date-- of their choice!

The "flag" has been added on customer accounts for various reasons. For example, customers who had possible compromised user ID passwords get this flag. Sometimes if your password is simple (like 1234567890), your account will be flagged. Once that is updated, the flag is removed. I've seen this happen. 

Or, if your iOs device was a part of a iOS beta trial with Apple, your device would be flagged for that. Unenrolling in the beta trail would remove the trial. 

If you had a block on your credit report to prevent you from getting your credit run as a security measure, a flag would appear for that instance as well--at least until the block is removed. 

My point is, the "flag" would exist because there is something preventing the BYOD activation process and is not something that we put in place manually. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Hello KenF, the issue is not that the flag is on the account, the issue is that Comcast CANNOT take that flag off and does not even try to do so!! That's the issue!! Comcast's inability to remove that "flag" is the issue!!!! That's the whole point here, that Comcast is NOT doing anything to figure out how to take that flag off!!
Official Employee

I understand what you're saying. I believe Amir is already working with you to figure this out or get you in touch with someone who can. 

KenF