Community Forum

Can you pick up a phone in store without activating it?

Contributor

Can you pick up a phone in store without activating it?

Can I stop by an Xfinity store and purchase a phone (with monthly payments) and activate it when I get home?  I want to pick one up for my wife this week while the $200 gift card offer is still in effect but it's going to be difficult for us to find a time to both go.  I imagine this wouldn't be any different than purchasing one online and activating it at home, right?  And for the gift card, do you have to purchase it by the 25th or activate it by then?

Contributor

Re: Can you pick up a phone in store without activating it?

I was wondering exactly the same thing, and am looking forward to hearing an answer soon -- also because the iPhone promotion ends soon.

Contributor

When I purchased an iPhone X in store, they handed me the phone in an unopened box and a sim card and sent me on my way.  I'm not sure if they do it that way at every store, but this was the case for me.

Contributor

When you got yours, was it a ported number or a new number?
Contributor

Mine was a ported number.

Highlighted
Contributor

@D-man wrote:

And for the gift card, do you have to purchase it by the 25th or activate it by then?

The phrases below, from the terms of the offer, are ambiguous on this question.  So I wouldn't take a chance on waiting beyond 2/25 to activate, unless told otherwise by an employee (and even then I would be cautious, as we know they sometimes give incorrect answers -- although those posting to this forum seem knowledgable):

"Offer ends 2/25/18...Offer requires activation of a new Xfinity Mobile line with By the Gig or Unlimited data option and purchase of a select Apple iPhone from Xfinity Mobile."

Official Employee

Hello all, you can pick up a phone at the store and activate it when you get home. Our phones are activated OTA or "Over the Air", which means you don't need a store representative to help you. For more information on how to activate your phone, please click on this link

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

@ComcastAmir wrote:

Hello all, you can pick up a phone at the store and activate it when you get home. Our phones are activated OTA or "Over the Air", which means you don't need a store representative to help you. For more information on how to activate your phone, please click on this link

Thanks.  How about the question of whether *activation* has to also take place by 2/25 to get the prepaid card on an iPhone purchase, or would purchasing the phone by 2/25 suffice even if avctivation happens after 2/25?

Official Employee

Rick1361 wrote: Thanks.  How about the question of whether *activation* has to also take place by 2/25 to get the prepaid card on an iPhone purchase, or would purchasing the phone by 2/25 suffice even if avctivation happens after 2/25?

The purchase of the IPhone has to be made by 2/25 and yes activation is required as well. Below is some more information and details on the $200 Visa card  offer.

Offer ends 2/25/18. Restrictions apply. Service not available in all areas. Requires a post-pay subscription to a residential XFINITY Internet service. New XFINITY Internet customers limited to 2 lines pending activation of Internet service. Offer requires activation of a new Xfinity Mobile line with By the Gig or Unlimited data option and purchase of a select Apple iPhone from Xfinity Mobile. Must remain an Xfinity Mobile customer with account in good standing for first 90 days following Xfinity Mobile line activation. $200 Prepaid card fulfilled through Visa® Prepaid Card. Cards issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa® U.S.A., Inc. Prepaid Card mailed to Comcast account holder within 16-18 weeks of activation of all required services and expires in 180 days. New purchases only while supplies last. Not valid with prior purchases, returns or exchanges. Limit of 5 prepaid cards per customer/account. If multiple lines ordered at the same time, one card issued for the total qualifying amount. The XFINITY Mobile logo and "o" marks are trademarks of Comcast. ©2018 Comcast. All rights reserved. To see the XFINITY Mobile Broadband Disclosures, visit:

www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/broadband-disclosures

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification on the gift card.  Is it an automatic thing, or do you have submit a form or something?  

Official Employee

D-man wrote: Thanks for the clarification on the gift card.  Is it an automatic thing, or do you have submit a form or something?  

This is an automatic thing as long as you meet the requirements.