Community Forum

Can anyone explain the "internal credit check" process?

Contributor

Can anyone explain the "internal credit check" process?

I have been denied another mobile line (after being approved for four in September). I have been told that I can get it if I buy a phone online but I am trying to BYOD as it is advertised that I can do, so for some reason my internal credit with comcast is not good enough. I have been a customer for 15 years and never late with a payment. I have spent well over $20,000 with Comcast. Now I am trying to give them more of my money and they tell me I failed an internal credit check even though my actual credit is 850 and contains absolutely no adverse reports. Can ANYone explain this to me? 

New Poster

Re: Can anyone explain the "internal credit check" process?

They just do a soft credit check if the amount of lines you want initially is greater than the ones you're already automatically approved for. A lot of people are talking about hard credit checks, but I got approved for five lines right away with a soft credit check. 

New Poster

But I have spent way less money with Comcast, similar credit score though. So it might actually be arbitrary. 

Contributor

Are we OK with arbitrary denial of service from a company? People have sued over being denied a cake for goodness sake. 

New Poster

So not true!  I had my credit ran when I first signed up with Xfinity almost 2 years ago. I have cable, internet and voice. I wanted to get my husband a new iPhone for his birthday so I pick out the iPhone and chose 1gb if service and wanted to port his old number to the one and only new line of Xfinity mobile service I wanted to activated and failed that credit check for one new line. How can I get credit approval for cable, internet and voice but fail the credit check for 1 line for mobile. REALLY? One of the mobile requirements is you have to be an existing Xfinity customer with internet service that credit was already previously ran for!    Extremely angry that I pay for all of these services every month for almost 2 years and can’t get one mobile line activated. Makes me want to CANCEL ALL OF MY SERVICES AND FIND A DIFFERENT PROVIDER!  

Valued Contributor

Cable TV, Internet, and Voice are prepaid services and do not involve an extension of credit to you. If you do not pay on time they can and often do shut those services off before you wind up owing them any money.

Xfinity Mobile service by the gig is a postpaid service, places you in the position of constantly owing money to them, and they require a satifactory credit rating. Satifactory is defined by them, not by you. This seems a bit silly to me given the amount of money involved, but I don't make the rules.

Contributor

At this point nothing will convince me it has anything whatsoever to do with credit.

The fact is they just overpromised their service and are reigning in what they provide. They are not making enough money by providing 5 low-cost lines per family so arbitrarily deny new ones. Not everyone is denied, that would be too obvious.

But the fact is they are still the lowest cost mobile game in town so we go along with their nonsense and ridiculous lies. They told the BBB that I was denied due to a credit report and that I would be sent a letter from Equifax. Guess what? No letter. And credit score of 820. Do the math.

Contributor

Credit score and money you've paid them doesn't really matter. I have a credit score of 650 (I don't have lots of credit cards, and no I'm not in collection for any debts), and I have 2 lines on Xfinity Mobile. I guess it all depends each and every person.

New Poster

You guys want to know the truth?<br><br>They have no earthly idea what the heck they are doing and whoever it is on the Mobile team that manages the credit check and approval process is failing at life.<br><br>The only reason to extend credit with these plans is for financing of the phone itself. It's not like an unlimited line of credit like old cell plans were where you can rack up a few thousand dollars in minute charges and dip. <br><br>This is unlimited for $45 with no contract. It's prepaid with special eligibility requirements.<br><br>Lots of people are asking questions about this and no one is getting answers. They have their approval system jacked up to high heaven and they're taking aeons to fix it. Brilliant concept, horrible execution. It will get figured out eventually.
New Poster

I'm going thru the same thing. First I was approved now all they want to do is constantly do hard credit checks with. Me.. I pay my bill on time, most of the time before. I've been with Comcast for quite some time. Doesn't make sense. First u approve me, then u don't. I'm going to leave them next month. Go with direct TV.
New Poster

You are not alone! I spent the past 25 hours in an Xfinity store, online and on the phone to "customer service". My tale of woe: Xfinity has been canvassing me actively for months to switch my Internet/TV/Cell bundle to them from another provider. I have a service record in 4 states of 20 years with Comcast and ATT as well as Verizon. Xfinity promised porting my two cell lines across after installing my TV/Internet. (Bring your own device - as they call it). They managed to port one line across today after declaring that they will be able to port both today and then informed me (after going back into the IT "system") that there is "no way" the other number can be ported across, due to an "algorithm". The Xfinity Mobile manager that this was escalated to said only "engineering" can overide the "algorithm" to make another Xfinity Mobile line eligible and that "engineering" is backed up and can't help in any case. So now I have one mobile line with my previous provider and one line with Xfinity, paying both companies. Because I have a TV/Internet/Cell bundle with the other provider, I can't cancel that until Xfinity allow another line. All this in spite of many printed and verbal assurances from Xfinity that I will have up to 5 mobile lines. So now I have an unburied Xfinity cable on my lawn (don't know when that will be taken care of either), two service providers and a combined bill for $500 per month between the two providers. All Xfinity employees (15 in total) blamed the "system" and could not answer my question of when I will become eligible for services that were promised to me in their sales pitches.

Contributor

Yeah, they lied and said that I would be receiving a letter from Equifax about why my "credit check" was denied. But surprise, no letter. No bad credit on Equifax. Comcast lies without compunction. As soon as my contract for cable/internet is up I'm going with AT&T and let them fleece them for a while. Comcast has become Evilcorp.

New Poster

I am having the same issue I actually have 5 lines with Xfinity and make monthly payments on the phones in November of 2018 I payed 2 of them off and got 2 more on payment plans then in February I went to do 2 more and got denied compleatly and was told I didnt pass a credit check. how is that correct after 2 years with them on mobile on a payment plan. this doesn't make sense. I think there system is f'd up fix your sh*t comcast. What's bad is that they wont and could care less about the few that this effects. Until it happens enough to effect there bottom line they wont worry about doing anything about it. I would go to another phone service except I have so much invested money invested and dont want to loose it. And I still have the 2 phones I am paying for on the payment plan still to pay for
New Poster

I am having the same issue I actually have 5 lines with Xfinity and make monthly payments on the phones in November of 2018 I payed 2 of them off and got 2 more on payment plans then in February I went to do 2 more and got denied compleatly and was told I didnt pass a credit check. how is that correct after 2 years with them on mobile on a payment plan. this doesn't make sense. I think there system is f'd up fix your sh*t comcast. What's bad is that they wont and could care less about the few that this effects. Until it happens enough to effect there bottom line they wont worry about doing anything about it. I would go to another phone service except I have so much invested money invested and dont want to loose it. And I still have the 2 phones I am paying for on the payment plan, still to pay for
New Poster

Yes I agree with you I tried myself to get my husband the new iPhone for his birthday when I went and signed up they told me my credit check failed I don’t understand why I have the X Finity trouble place in six months And I don’t understand why my cable bill comes 400 a month it is a real rip off I’m thinking about changing my provider myself
Regular Contributor

Running a mobile company like a cable operator