Community Forum

Can I choose which city my new Xfinity Mobile phone number belongs to, say for a college student?

Frequent Visitor

Can I choose which city my new Xfinity Mobile phone number belongs to, say for a college student?

I am located near Jackson, MS, but would like to provide a child in college at Mississippi State a line on my account.  Is it possible to pick a local Starkville, MS phone number for the new line or must new numbers come from the city where the account is located?

The Starkville area code/prefixes for Verizon at large appear to be:

662-341

662-684

662-722

Valued Contributor

Re: Can I choose which city my new Xfinity Mobile phone number belongs to, say for a college student

@gor88 wrote:

I am located near Jackson, MS, but would like to provide a child in college at Mississippi State a line on my account.  Is it possible to pick a local Starkville, MS phone number for the new line or must new numbers come from the city where the account is located?

The Starkville area code/prefixes for Verizon at large appear to be:

662-341

662-684

662-722

I don't think so unless you port your own number from another carrier. I signed up for an additional line with the New Number option and Xfinity Mobile chose the number for me with the area code based on the address that I registered on my account. See if Google Voice has the area code you want, get a GV number with that area code then pay Google $3 to port the number to XM. That way you will get the # with the area code you prefer. Then I'm not sure if a number with an area code outside of your hometown is acceptable? You will need to contact the XM reps to find out.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Can I choose which city my new Xfinity Mobile phone number belongs to, say for a college student

I suspected that might be the case.

I also would like one of the Comcast employees monitoring the forum to confirm whether or not they might have a way to do this from their interface.  If not, it's not necessarily a deal breaker.  My wife and I only have cell phones and they're unlimited talk and text, so any US number is OK for us.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@gor88 wrote:

I suspected that might be the case.

I also would like one of the Comcast employees monitoring the forum to confirm whether or not they might have a way to do this from their interface.  If not, it's not necessarily a deal breaker.  My wife and I only have cell phones and they're unlimited talk and text, so any US number is OK for us.

A way to do it is to register a Google Voice account, get a GV phone number with the area code you want, then install the Google Voice app on the cellphone to use that GV number with your cell service. You can set the CID of the outgoing calls to show the GV number. Incoming calls to GV number will ring the cellphone after you forward GV calls to the cell number.

Google Voice for iOS

Official Employee

Re: Can I choose which city my new Xfinity Mobile phone number belongs to, say for a college stud...

gor88, 

We are not able to pick and choose the specific numbers for your phone number. The only way to garantee a specific number, or even area code, is to port a number from another carrier. We are able to choose a location based on the zip code (when it comes to choose a new number), but we cannot guarantee what the area code and the remaining digits will be when processing a number change. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Can I choose which city my new Xfinity Mobile phone number belongs to, say for a college stud...

Update:  Although not guaranteed to get a local number, ComcastKenF's efforts paid off twice

The system issued a 662-341 area code prefix combination number using Starkville, MS zip 39759.  In most cases, the trick is to pick the zip most centrally located in the local calling zone you want.

He also was able to change my mother's new number from a Canton, MS number to a Jackson, MS local number using zip 39201. 

Even though local numbers are not as important in the cellular age, there are still a few folks with landlines that may benefit from your having a local number.