Community Forum

CONSUMER FRAUD by Xfinity Mobile - WiFi calling not supported yet advertised as such.

New Poster

CONSUMER FRAUD by Xfinity Mobile - WiFi calling not supported yet advertised as such.

Well Xfinity (Comcast), it looks like you have yet another class action lawsuit coming at you for consumer fraud.

This is a little info for the thousands of us who took the bait and switched to Xfinity Mobile based on their claims that we can make and receive phone calls and text messages from our home Wifi service if we had Xfinity at home (which I do). Turns out...that was total B.S. and Xfinity does not support WiFi calling at this time due to contractual obligations. 

I had service with Verizon Wireless for several years until three weeks ago when I switched to Xfinity Mobile. I live in a somewhat rural part of Parker, CO where Verizon signal is horrible. I was also paying $139 a month and looked at the Xfinity plan as an alternative. Turned out that I would only be paying $53 a month for 2GB of data usage AND a new Samsung S8 phone. My actual service cost would be only $25 to $32 a month once the phone was paid off. 

Well, I had heard that Xfinity Mobile uses Verizon towers for their 4G signal and so I confirmed this with the two sales people at the Xfinity store. They both then told me that my new Samsung phone would AUTOMATICALLY switch to an Xfinity Wifi signal ANY TIME I was either at home within range of my Xfinity WiFi or out and about near one of millions of Xfninty WiFi hotspots.

These sales people either had no idea that Xfinity does not support WiFi calling, or they did and decided to outright lie to me and probaly hudreds of other consumers who have come to their location and switched to Xfinity Mobile.

Now I am paying for more data than I did with Verizon since I cannot make phone calls via WiFi.

Thanks Xfinity (Comcast)...see you in court!

Expert

Re: CONSUMER FRAUD by Xfinity Mobile - WiFi calling not supported yet advertised as such.

These phones currently have Wi-Fi calling:

• iPhone 6 / 6 Plus / 6s / 6s Plus
  • iPhone SE
  • iPhone 7 / 7 Plus
  • iPhone 8 / 8 Plus
  • iPhone X

It's in beta testing right now for Android phones.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Contributor

Re: CONSUMER FRAUD by Xfinity Mobile - WiFi calling not supported yet advertised as such.

Doesn't work on my iPhoneX or iphone6.
Expert

wrote:
Doesn't work on my iPhoneX or iphone6.

There are a few possible reasons why WiFi calling isn’t working.

• You haven't installed the latest version of iOS on your iPhone. You must have iOS 11.2 or higher.
  • You haven't installed the latest carrier settings on your iPhone.
  • The WiFi calling setting is turned off in your phone’s settings
  • You don't have a WiFi network connection
  • Your phone will prioritize a network connection over WiFi when the connection is strong enough to make and receive calls. To totally prevent using a cellular network to make or receive calls, put your phone in airplane mode and make sure WiFi is on.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee
Moved:

Official Employee

RobReese77, 

WiFi calling is active for iPhone 6 or newer. a date has not be announced for Android just yet. 

Frequent Visitor

I received my carrier update settings this morning and now WiFi calling is available on my iPhone X! Glad I waited for this feature. So far have been very happy with the XFINITY Mobile service. Switched from T-Mo.

New Poster

Thx!! All of my updates were good but still couldnt get wifi calling setting to successfully turn on....Turning on airplane mode,turn on my wifi then turning on wifi calling allowed to update my 911 info and successfully turn on wifi calling. Then I turned off airplane mode and phone works fine with wifi calling.. before I was just getting an error to contact cust serv when I hit the wifi calling “off/on” dial
Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

Turning on airplane mode,turn on my wifi then turning on wifi calling allowed to update my 911 info

Exactly how did you turn on WiFi calling when you cannot access the cellular settings (where the WiFi setting is located) when airplane mode is active? Turning on airplane mode disables all access to the cellular settings.You have to have cellular access to enable WiFi calling. Turn off cellular, as you do in airplane mode, disables all cellular data access.

Official Employee

Turning on airplane mode,turn on my wifi then turning on wifi calling allowed to update my 911 info

Exactly how did you turn on WiFi calling when you cannot access the cellular settings (where the WiFi setting is located) when airplane mode is active? Turning on airplane mode disables all access to the cellular settings.You have to have cellular access to enable WiFi calling. Turn off cellular, as you do in airplane mode, disables all cellular data access.

raythompson, you can access WiFi while airplane mode is activated. This is how they were able to toggle wifi calling. Your issue may be different from the others here so I'll follow up with you in the private message you sent me. 

KenF

Contributor

Yes, you can access WiFi while in airplane mode. You cannot access the setting for WiFi calling while in airplane mode. That setting is under Cellular and accessing cellular settings while in airplane mode is impossible.

Official Employee

Yes, you can access WiFi while in airplane mode. You cannot access the setting for WiFi calling while in airplane mode. That setting is under Cellular and accessing cellular settings while in airplane mode is impossible.

Gotcha. I'll follow up with you on your thread when I have new info. 

Official Employee
Moved:

Contributor

False advertising. They have no idea what's wrong either.