Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Buyer Beware...

Frequent Visitor

Buyer Beware...

Hello Xfinity friends,

I decided to give Xfinity a try since they had a good promotion for a Samsung Galaxy S8 and my wife and I were already Comcast customers. I loved the phone but recenty it has been pocket dialing. I went to the samsung forums tried all the recommended settings and still an issue it seems a known bug with the S8 and S8+ handsets. If I had known I would just have gotten another iphone. I called Xfinity customer service to ask to be changed to a different brand as I do not trust Sammy now. They said since I was a week past the 30 day window nothing to be done. I said fine let me return the handset charge me a restocking fee and nope they want to change full freight for the handset. My only recourse is to open a dispute now with my credit card company based on a defective model and Xfinity's unwillingness to work with me to replace the handset with something else. I was on strighttalk before and had zero issues and will most likely return as the level of customer service is not acceptable with Xfinity. There is allot of completion in the MVNO provider space as Xfinity is an MVNO for Verizon wireless. So I am surprised Xfinity is not more customer centric. I will have to warn friends, family and co-workers away from the service as they too would no be happy with the current level of customer service being provided by Xfinity Mobile. Warnings via facebook, instagram and twitter you can bet on that too. I think competition is good for any business and hope Xfinity reads these forums and chooses to make positive customer centric changes or they may wither and die on the vine being replaced by other competitors. People tend to vote in two ways with their feet and their dollars.

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S-Phones/S8-unlocks-in-my-pocket/td-p/93792

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/help/screen-pocket-t3602663

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS8/comments/6oy4c2/pocket_dialtexting/

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-and-s8-plus/794605-s8-plus-dials-911-pocket.html

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/876744-emergency-number-called-accidentally.... 

Best Regards

Frequent Visitor

Re: Buyer Beware...

Your post seems to be an effort to strongarm Xfinity publicly to get what you want but, if you're interested...  I had to ship my wifes S7 to Samsung for a warranty repair and they were great.  They gave me I believe an overnight label to ship it in and they got it right back to me.  You should have a year warranty.

Contributor

I had a similar issue so I turned on "Block Accidental Touches" and turned off Swipe to call, haven't had issues since. I also use finger print unlock so it locks immediately.
Frequent Visitor

Hi klutch14u,

I guess you did not look at the links I provided.  The working theory is even when the S8 is in pocket mode and the sensitivity of the virtual home button set at it's lowest it still can activate and go into emergency dialing mode. I went though Samsung forums suggestions of what setting to diable to help prevent this to no avail.  I am not strong arming I am just a very unsatisfied customer who is looking for a solution. Customer service's answer is only "I can only do what the system will allow me to do." "You can return it for the exact same model." a model which has a known defect.  If all the rep can do is what the system allows them to do then why have a human rep at all just have an automated system be your customer service rep.  I want to make things clear I have no issue with the cellular service it has been great.  My sole issue is with the handset and the level of customer service Xfinity has choosen to provide.

Best Regards           

Frequent Visitor

Hi matt96teg,

Yeah I tried that too it was part of the Sumsung forums list of things to do prevent it.  One person is using an app that apprently diables the virtual home button but you need to root your phone and I am not willing to do that.  Thanks for the suggestions though 

Best Regards

Frequent Visitor

Hello Xfinity Friends,

*** Update: I am cautiously optimistic Xfinity seems to be helping me out.  I will post the details once the process is complete to be completely transparent.

Best Regards

Frequent Visitor

Hello Xfinity Friends,

I promised I would post the results of my experience and since it is ending it is worth an update.  To Xfinity’s credit they decided to honor my request and sent me a different brand handset so thank you Xfinity team.  Now this is where things get weird.  Fedex gave me two boxes from Xfinity. I asked the driver if there was a mistake as I was only expecting one package and he said no.  I said ok and took them inside to see what was up. It turns out one box was my different brand handset which was great but the other contained a replacement Samsung Galaxy S8 I never asked for?  The day before I had called Xfinity telephone support and asked if I could return the phone to my local Xfinity store as I would like the condition of my return documented.  My credit card company recommended I get everything documented in the event of a dispute. I go to the Xfinity store and the service man there say they do not process returns and that all returns must be mailed in. I said well that is not what I was told.  I said fine at a minimum I would like you to document the condition of the handsets I am sending back to Xfinity and he looked and verified they were in pristine condition and put a note in my customer account field.

I decided after getting home best to verify I get a great customer rep named Justin he checks and says they have no visibility to the Xfinity brick and mortar systems so I re-explain what has happened he took notes and thanked me for my honesty as the system shows I was going to be issued a replacement Galaxy S8 handset but their system showed it was canceled.  So, I could have stayed silent and kept it but I am not here to scam for an extra handset just a different manufactures handset that I trust.

Providing the return process does not go sideways I wanted to say thank you Xfinity you have kept me as a customer and I have posted the latest update so people would know Xfinity stepped up to address the issue.  Now there is something I was made aware of by this weird mistake if you do get a replacement handset it will not be a new unit the paper works clearly says factory refurbished.  Now it did look in perfect condition front and back but I did not turn it on. 

I think Xfinity needs to allow handsets returns to their brick and mortar stores as this offers a level of protection for their customers doing returns that are upfront and honest. Without this kind of documentation, the return is the customers word vs the contract company Xfinity’s hires to rate the quality of the returned handsets. 

I am following my credit card companies advise I took pictures of the handset at every possible angle and scanned in all the paper docs it was a PITA but what else to do?

I am chalking up allot of my crazy experience as a young mobile startup getting its feet under itself I hope they improve and flourish and what I have tried to present is constructive feedback. I think there is an opportunity for customer service training here as I got rep’s whose customer service level that was right across the spectrum.  My first contact being the worst and my last Justin being world class.

Best Regards

Official Employee

erains, thanks for posting. I am happy to see you were able to get a different phone. I highly recommend returning the phone you were mistakenly shipped so you are not charged for possessing it. 

Most carriers, not just XFINITY Mobile, do not allow online purchases and exchanges be processed in store. It is an inventory concern. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Hi Ken,

Yes I am very pleased that Xfinity stepped up to help. I am not pleased on what it took for it to happen but that is water under the bridge as they say.  I called and got RMA numbers for both handsets and proof of mailing from Fedex. Justin said I would not have been charged for the extra handset that was sent because the system showed it as canceled but I am not dishonest so I sent may origonal hanset and the replacement one back to Xfinity using the return label included in each box.  Ok I get your reasoning for not doing store returns but I think it is a really good idea to inform the customer it is in your best intrest to bring your handset in to a brick and mortor store for inspection and have a service person input notes in your customer account to avoid any handset condition disputes. To do this Xfinity needs to remove the barrier between what a telephone support person can see as Justin told me he did not have access to the in store system.  This will discourage the scammers as why bring in a damaged handset and waste everyones time.  I do find it odd though as I saw all the phones Xfinity carrys available at the brick and mortor store for purchase so I am not sure what you mean by inventory concerns as the store must stock handsets to handout to paying customers? 

Best Regards

Official Employee

erains, thanks for those details. 

What I meant from that is that online purchases are fulfilled from a different warehouse, essentially, than the purchases from a store. So if you returned an online purchase in store, they wouldn't be able to forward the device back to the right warehouse, essentially. 

I get what you're saying though- returning a device to a store that was brought online would be a lot easier. 

KenF