Community Forum

Be careful if you're porting your number.

Frequent Visitor

Be careful if you're porting your number.

Long story short, ordered a galaxy s8. After it arrived this evening i tired to activate it, of course it didn't work. I called and provided the IMEI to an agent and the phone was good to go after a restart, or so it seemed.  

I Called my fiance's phone and saw it come up as a unfamiliar number. I called back and was then told that there was absolutely no way to port my number and that was that. Apprently this is because they can't reassign the IMEI to a new number for some reason. It wasn't until i said i wanted to return the phone the offer came to send me a new one, and this new phone for some reason would be able to receive my actual phone number. I stress how terrible my experience is to the agent and they agree to overnight me the new phone which makes happy for the next 10 minutes i'm on hold. When they're ready to take my credit card info to do the exchange, i'm then told there are no more galaxy s8s in stock and they were sending me an s8+ which i do not want. 

I then cancel the service and get an RMA to send the phone back. On a whim, i check the website and they're willing to overnight me one, then i call customer service and they're willing to overnight me one. That is until i reiterate the original story, then i wait on hold again for 29 minutes and 27 seconds to be told that they would call me back. Then they asked when would be a good time to call, meaning not any time soon obviously.

These people don't have it together, and the price you're paying is because they're clearly building this plane as it's taking off on the runway. Granted, if i did not want to port my number this maybe would not have happened but it's not my fault these guys can't make good on services they choose to provide.

After the evening i've had i'm planning just going to a verizon store next chance i get and paying more for the same service, but one that will be provided. Next, i'm going to see what the other ISPs and satellite pricing looks like.  

Over all, i'd stay away from this company until they figure out their product/customer satisfaction.

Contributor

Re: Be careful if you're porting your number.

I must correct you. Xfinity is not re-assigning a phone number to an IMEI number. Xfinity Mobile is assigning your number to a SIM Card :-)

I ported my number from Verizon and the process was flawless.

You just need to make sure that you entered the right account information (account number and billing address) and a Pin to identify your account. If you made the smallest error, the port won't happen.

In my case the porting from Verizon took 10 secs and the activation less than 30 secs.

First of all you need to check if your number is available to be transfered. Depending of the type of plan you're on, sometime your number cannot be transfered until you pay off your device or if you are on a 2 years lock legacy plan.

I'm really happy with the $45 monthly plan offering by Xfinity Mobile. Verizon rate is $80 for the exact same plan.

Frequent Visitor

You're right about the SIM, but they apparently don't have the ability to send you a SIM card.

I entered all the account information correctly in advance, then one of thier agents ignored it and since they won't send me a SIM i have to send the entire phone back. They did not register the IMEI, so when i activated through the phone it didn't work. Then when i called in to activate this agent just gave me a random number. I'm glad you had a good experience, but be careful this company is a joke. I've never been lied to so much by a company, at this point i have to assume they are trained to be decpetive. Just pray nothing ever goes wrong and you'll be fine.

I've been told they don't have the phone in stock, when i proved they did they "overnighted" me on, except they didn't. Then this morning when they "overnighted" me another one, they didn't. I should have stuck to my guns and i'd have a phone by now even if it cost more.

Never in my life have not gone with the cheapest option with something like this because of questionable service, but this is on another level. If i gave the complete story of everything i've dealt with since friday you'd think i was completely insane.

New Poster

As I figured. Xfinity support for TV & Internet is exceptionally rude & the customer is always wrong

However since I'm in the Wholesale Cell Phone business " porting is ruled the Feds and can be a nightmare 

New Poster

The "overnight" story - had the same result.  Was excited to get a new phone today - but nooooooooooo.

Today's supply chain technolgy has tools to check inventory, shipping and delivery options upon order inquiry.  An individual seller on Ebay has access to these STANDARD tools that customers expect. Based on your comments and my personal experience, Comcast Mobile seems like they rushed this launch - the poor sales reps have incomplete information.  I do not blame them, the person that I bought my phones from was so sweet - but misinformed from Atlanta.

Contributor

I must say, I got the new mobile service and I ported my phone number (I got the iPhone 6s Plus) and did it all via internet when the phone arrived (live chat) and it took less than 5 minutes for the whole thing to be completed. Truly, no problem at all.