Community Forum

Bad ESN Check for Xfinity Mobile

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Bad ESN Check for Xfinity Mobile

Is there way to find out if a phone has a Bad ESN ?  I am finding mulitple listing of xfinity mobile phones on ebay and wondering if these have a bad ESN or not.   

Problem Solver

Re: Bad ESN Check for Xfinity Mobile

swappa.com has an imei checker.  Be aware that you must purchase a phone directly from Xfinity Mobile to get a SIM card and establish service.  No BYOD program yet.

Regular Visitor

This brings up another question regarding how xfinity mobile handles phones bought from them that are financed.  Lets say checking on swappa imei checker, it comes out clean now.  Without knowing if this phone was financed, and swappa doesn't have that information either.  Maybe 1-2 months down the road, the orginal owner stops making payment.  What is xfinity mobile policy at this point ?  Do they blacklist the ESN on the phone or do they go after the owner who fianced orginally to get their money back ?

Official Employee

Loveleen, that's a good question. I do not know the answer but I do know that carriers with similar payment options will block the device IMEIs if the payments are not maintained. This makes the phone, basically, a brick. I recommend purchasing straight from us to ensure peace of mind and we can guarantee we can support it. Less unknowns that way. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

@Loveleen wrote:

This brings up another question regarding how xfinity mobile handles phones bought from them that are financed.  Lets say checking on swappa imei checker, it comes out clean now.  Without knowing if this phone was financed, and swappa doesn't have that information either.  Maybe 1-2 months down the road, the orginal owner stops making payment.  What is xfinity mobile policy at this point ?  Do they blacklist the ESN on the phone or do they go after the owner who fianced orginally to get their money back ?

This is a risk anytime you buy a 2nd hand device (with any carrier).  If the device is financed, and the first owner sells it and stops payment, it's going to get blacklisted and be unuseable.  It's been said before and bears repeating here: when you buy on eBay (or swappa) you're buying the sellers reputation.  Let this be your guide if you go second hand.  Only purchase from sellers who have a stellar rating and lots of positive feedback.

Problem Solver

Which XM phone are you looking for?
Regular Visitor

I am was looking into Iphone 8 Plus 64gb.

Official Employee

Loveleen, I recommend purchasing the iPhone 8+ from us as we do not support devices purchased outside of XFINITY Mobile at this time. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Noooooo peace of mind at all. Xfinity mobile sent me an iphone X blacklisted and I have been 10 days so far without activating the line. The package came home via Fedex and came blacklisted so there's no peace of mind at all cause this is still a real life nightmare. Besides, after 6 day fighting to get the phone out of the blacklist and been told 38 times that it would be escalated to the great tear2 team nobody has called to let me know what happens. 6 days after this situation went to a store and was treated as garbage by a manager called Ronald at the Kendall store in Miami and finaly a great Daniel helped me out calling for 1.5 hours and getting a new phone sent via FedEx . Yesterday the replacement was at the FedEx store in Miami until a high level stupid asked FedEx to stop the shipping and the replacement went back to Xfinity without any phone call to me to tell me what's going on. You will never be done with Xfinity Mobile, they don't know what they do at all. Today is 31 and I received the blacklisted phone on the 21st. Nobody knows what's going on here and I have been 10 days since I switched from ATT suffering the higher levels of frustation in our life. Stay away from Xfinity Mobile guys, they are not a team, they are a bunch of people by themself and nobody cares about customers in this company. There's not a phone number to call in corporate, you will never be heard by somebody who cares. I should never switched from ATT. 

New Poster

Have you had any resolution to the blacklisted problem? I'm in the same boat and have gone into the store multiple times, called - basically spent hours on trying to resolve this issue with no luck. The most disappointing part is that no one seems to actually want to help resolve the issue. The phone I purchased from their website, brand new was blacklisted and it took roughly 7 phone calls, 3 trips to the store to even figure out that was the problem. If you have any advice on getting this straightened out, I'd appreciate it.

New Poster

Good luck, I actually had actually switched from verizon to xfinity mobile.

Being that i travel for work, I spend a lot of time in Canada almost half the year. So I made sure if I switched they would unlock the phones immediately so i could you my Telus chip in my new phone while at work. No issues they did what they said they would.

both me and my wifes iphone 8 was unlocked a week after getting them, I was so delighted i traded up for an Iphone X in March 2018, And they stuck to their word and unlocked and all was good. Come Nov 3rd i needed a phone with more room as i use it for encrypting corporate  data. I was told nothing has changed so I upgraded the iphone X for a Iphone Xs Max. Low and behold the nightmare started.

The policy did change and the store didnt know this, so I called immediately and asked for my Iphone X back and to return this one as I was given the wrong information.

At which time they said we cant give the old one back and By the way there is another policy change it is a 14 day return now. I showed my receipt that clearly shows i had 30 days. They wanted to keep my reciept. I said no not till you return this phone and give me a full refund to date for it all.so here I am 12 calls 9 tickets 9 supervisors I finally get sent to corporate Phone number to call.

Explained it all to them, I was told we at corporate can't help with Mobile it is a different division but heres a escalation ticket. We are confident they will resolve this by unlocking or refunding. Shanon has given nothing but a run around. I even sent a copy of the reciept clearly stating 30 day return policy. All I keep hearing is we wont unlock till it is paid in full. I said really then how come you unlocked all my other xfinity mobile devices that I still am paying on. Well the policy just changed. The way I see it is if i don't hear back tomorrow Friday the 11th of January I will simply go back to verizon and wait for them to send it to collection and then seek damages for their breech of contract as i have the hard copy in hand. So again good luck with xfinity they wont help at all. Their tactic is to stall and kick the can down the road, They know they can't resell the phone and will take a big loss but would rather go through court kicking the can down the road further.