Community Forum

BYOD live nationwide Monday Nov. 8

Frequent Visitor

BYOD live nationwide Monday Nov. 8

After being told on these forums by an official rep to go into my local Xfinity Store and get a new SIM card if I wanted VoLTE to work again, and having went today, no one in the store had a clue what VoLTE was much less anything about getting a new SIM card. Thankfully, the division manager was in the store today and once the "don't really care attitude" lady that was servicing me finally went to talk to him about my issue, he came to me and told me - reading from his phone, an email or internal memo I'm assuming - that BYOD goes live for everyone - not just iPhones, not just beta - on Monday, January 8 and for me to come back Monday and I'll be able to get VoLTE back.

Any reps here that can confirm or deny this?

Frequent Visitor

Re: BYOD live nationwide Monday Nov. 8

Error in my post title. It should say January 8.
Contributor

Great thanks!  Maybe this will fix my issues too.  We'll see tomorrow.

Contributor

Re: BYOD live nationwide Monday Jan. 8

That is great news. Is this in store only or will be live online?

Highlighted
Contributor

That would be great.  I have a Moto that’s less than a year old that I will add to my account.  Thanks Xfinity Mobile.  Let’s all hope this is true.

Contributor

I'm really hoping they pull through with this.

Frequent Visitor

I guess we'll find out soon enough. It's Monday, January 8. Tick tock.

Frequent Visitor

It's not going to happen, talked to multiple customer representative and they all said only iPhone and in the 4 selected stores only. Still testing the Android framework.

New Poster
Frequent Visitor

They may have introduced it in stores, but BYOD is not yet ready for primetime. My experience as in the thread I started shows that. I cannot make calls to phones on T-Mobile and calls not going to voicemail on other Xfinity Mobile phones. The case is now in their level 3 with no ETA after a harrowing customer service experience. Essentially they now have to figure out what's happening with Verizon operations. 

Frequent Visitor

@akari wrote:

Looks like its live.... https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/115000868288/can-i-bring-my-own-phone-to-xfinity-mobi...

That FAQ update still says only iPhones. Still says no Android BYOD right now. Says it's "not possible". And that is pure BS. My ANDROID Pixel 2 XL works on any network in the world. It was working perfectly, and with VoLTE, for my whole first month with Xfinity. VoLTE only stopped working after Verizon/Xfinity ran a system audit and kicked it out of the VoLTE servers because it wasn't the LG Junky Junk X Charge phone I purchased.

Contributor

Ive been using my Moto G5+ since I started service back in July.

Official Employee

Hey All, 

BYOD is live but it is only for new activations (new lines of service) and it is only available for iPhones 5 and newer. This is nationwide as of yesterday. Android BYOD has not been announced. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey All, 

BYOD is live but it is only for new activations (new lines of service) and it is only available for iPhones 5 and newer. This is nationwide as of yesterday. Android BYOD has not been announced. 

KenF

Sigh. This is ridiculous. Why only iPhones?

Official Employee

ComcastKenF wrote:

Hey All, 

KenF

Sigh. This is ridiculous. Why only iPhones?

I feel your pain. I'm an android user myself. I do not know why iPhones were chosen first but it makes sense considering their popularity. I'm hoping android support comes soon. 

KenF

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

See, that's the part that confuses me. There's nothing to "support". Just pop the SIM in and go. Whatever works, will work. That's the beauty of Android. Just seems to me like whomever is running the Xfinity Mobile show must be using an iPhone and doesn't have a clue about Android.

Administrator

For the most up-to-date information about XFINITY Mobile offering, please see the main post here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/UPDATE-XFINITY-Mobile/td-p/2905316

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastJessie wrote:

For the most up-to-date information about XFINITY Mobile offering, please see the main post here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/UPDATE-XFINITY-Mobile/td-p/2905316

No, that's not the best answer. Why is BYOD now available nationwide for iPhones but not Android phones?

Official Employee

iamthejody, I understand you're frustrated. We do not have a date yet for Android compatibility. 

Contributor

@iamthejody wrote:

After being told on these forums by an official rep to go into my local Xfinity Store and get a new SIM card if I wanted VoLTE to work again, and having went today, no one in the store had a clue what VoLTE was much less anything about getting a new SIM card. Thankfully, the division manager was in the store today and once the "don't really care attitude" lady that was servicing me finally went to talk to him about my issue, he came to me and told me - reading from his phone, an email or internal memo I'm assuming - that BYOD goes live for everyone - not just iPhones, not just beta - on Monday, January 8 and for me to come back Monday and I'll be able to get VoLTE back.

Any reps here that can confirm or deny this?

Now that BYOD is available nationwide, has anyone tried to use it? How was your experience?

Most Valued Poster

My Galaxy S5 has worked perfectly on the network since I joined at the end of August.  No issues whatsoever.   Of course I could not care less about VOLTE, prolly will not work anyway with a 3 year old phone.  So, I have had BYOD for over 4 months now and the SIM only cost me one dollar and it came with a LG phone.  

Frequent Visitor

What about those of who have Comcast but no xfinity store for hundreds of miles? How can we do byod for iPhone?
Official Employee

What about those of who have Comcast but no xfinity store for hundreds of miles? How can we do byod for iPhone?

Mrigby002, unfortunately, it must be done in stores. That is our only option at this time. 

KenF

Contributor

It's almost comical.  I went to local xfinity with a factory reset xfinity charge x.  Was told there was no way to activate without buying new phone unless  had a new iphone.  I'm like "Put the sim in it will activate",  "no sir, we can't do that, it's only iphones".

Add to that the really funny, "trade in your iphone 8/x, or note 8(Excludes xfinity phones) and get a promotional 200 dollars off a new xfinity phone".  My translation:  give us your brand new 1K dollar phone and we'll sell you another for 800, then sell yours for 800 used, as long as it's not one of ours...

Oh then there's the buy a new charge x for 180 dollars and we'll give you a debit card for 150, oh by the way that debit card will come sometime in the 4-6 months.

Contributor

Thanks for posting it. I was planning store visit to activate my old x-charge (got from my family friend) but looks like no use now. Thanks for saving my trip to store.

I can understand not allowing other devices because manything can goes wrong but not sure why Xfinity can't support own device. This is about provisoning IMEI in their system

with SIM and now looks like they can do it for iPhone and it should be the same for other phone. Sure they check iphone default experince is good so support only that but whats wrong with Xfinity own phone. They should be more good than non Xfinity iphone. Any way I will wait until Android BOYD support is enabled.

Regular Contributor

@pashvin wrote:
Any way I will wait until Android BOYD support is enabled.

The biggest concern/fear is of course that XM will only allow a few Android devices to be brought over on their BYOD -- such as the latest Samsung phones: Galaxy S7/8 and Note 8s -- when they finally introduce it.

I was not aware of before -- but am now -- just how much control Verizon/CDMA has over the exact phone it allows onto its system and eactly what features it will allow for your specific phone. If you deviate from the one that is registered with their system, they can shut off all kinds of features -- e.g. VoLTE, Voice Mail, MMS. That simply wouldn't be possible on GSM systems, e.g. AT&T and T-Mobile. Their BYOD is completely open. You can bring any phone. They may not want to 'tech support' older phones or phones they've never heard of from over seas but they equally can't shut your phone out of their system. Pop in a GSM sim and it will work. No fussing. That definitely is NOT the case with Verizon/XM/CDMA. They have an extreme amount of control over what phones can have full feature access to their network.

I am very concerned that many Android phones will not be supported, especially NON Samsung and/or LG brands.

Official Employee

Gottahavit, Yes the BYOD trial is currently only for iPhone 5 or newer. Otherwise, new line activations must accompany a new device purchase. 

Most giftcard promotions are mailed after 14-16 weeks. That is the same from XFINITY Mobile and Residential promotions. 

New Poster

Unlocked Iphone 7 - T-mobile hardware ( iphone 7 , bought from T-mobile Unlocked)   

When will BYOD work on : Unlocked Iphone 7 - T-mobile hardware ( iphone 7 , bought from T-mobile Unlocked)  

I have iphone 7 ( bought from T-mobile ) and I was not able to get a Sim from Xfinity as they checked and said it's not compaitible 

My Question is when will Unlocked Iphone 7 - T-mobile hardware ( iphone 7 , bought from T-mobile Unlocked)    Start working on Xfinity mobile ?

Thanks 

Official Employee

vinchandna, currently, the iPhone 7 from T-Mobile and ATT are not compatible. I do not have a date for compatibility at this time. 

KenF

Regular Contributor

@vinchandna wrote:

Unlocked Iphone 7 - T-mobile hardware ( iphone 7 , bought from T-mobile Unlocked)   

When will BYOD work on : Unlocked Iphone 7 - T-mobile hardware ( iphone 7 , bought from T-mobile Unlocked)  

I have iphone 7 ( bought from T-mobile ) and I was not able to get a Sim from Xfinity as they checked and said it's not compaitible 

My Question is when will Unlocked Iphone 7 - T-mobile hardware ( iphone 7 , bought from T-mobile Unlocked)    Start working on Xfinity mobile ?

Thanks 

vinchandn

Bad news. Your iPhone 7 from Tmobile will most likely never work on CDMA -- which is what Verizon and XM uses. You can read about the details in the link I provide here:

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/08/att-and-tmobile-iphone-7-models-lack-cdma/

Basically, the short version is that iPhone 7s in the US are shipped either with an Intel Chip or a Qualcomm chip inside. The Intel chips do NOT support CDMA while the Qualcomm chip supports CDMA. iPhones 7s from Sprint and Verizon as wel as iPhones purchased direclty from Apple.com will have the CDMA chips. iPhone 7s purchased from ATT and TMOBILE will have the Intel Chips -- that is because ATT and Tmobile does NOT require -- nor support -- CDMA. So for those trying to come over from ATT and TMOBILE with their iPhone 7s, it's not going to work as those iPhones have the Intel chips and do NOT support CDMA. Unfortunately no amount of waiting will help solve this situation. There is nothing Verizon or XM can do on their backend to make these iPhone 7s without CDMA work on their CDMA network.

New Poster

Will iphone7 - Tmobile ( Unlocked) ever work on xfinity Mobile ?

Can it work at all or not ?

New Poster

Thanks for your reply 

I know about intel vs Qualcomm chip difference in iphone 7

Cdma being Qualcomm's baby and restricted somehow for other to make / use (Patent /  Royalty etc buisness reasons) 

Official Employee

I do not have any news as to if and when the iPhone 7 series from Tmobile and ATT will be compatible with our network. 

New Poster

@ comcast / xfinity 

just checking -- Do you have answer now?

Regular Contributor

@vinchandna wrote:

@ comcast / xfinity 

just checking -- Do you have answer now?

I've already answered that for you and you replied you understood the Qualcomm vs Intel chip situation.

No, your unlocked TMOBILE iphone with Intel chip will never work on CDMA/Verizon/XM.