Community Forum

BYOD Apple Store SIM-free iPhone 8 Plus

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

BYOD Apple Store SIM-free iPhone 8 Plus

Hey y'all,

I have been searching through this forum and have seen several attempts from various people trying to activate unlocked iPhone devices (versions 7 and 8) on Xfinity Mobile (XM). 

In most of those posts ComcastKenF has been in private communication with the original poster, so it is not always clear what was the outcome. I am creating this post in hopes that he will see my message and provide some guidance on my situation.

I started out with two iPhone 6 devices that I purchased (subsidized) from AT&T many years ago. I fulfilled my contract with AT&T and requested the unlock from AT&T (which was successful). I even tested one of the iPhones with a Verizon SIM that I had at work to make sure the unlock was truly successful.

In preparation for a possible network switch, I purchased two iPhone 8 Plus ( 64GB ) devices from the Apple Store which were labeled as “Buy without a carrier. SIM-free. Activate with any carrier later”. We began to use the new iPhone 8 Plus devices on our current AT&T carrier (and we currently still are).

I took the two new iPhone 8 Plus devices (still on AT&T, but not committed) and one of my iPhone 6 devices to the Xfinity store for a port of two numbers (8 Plus models) and activation of one new line (iPhone 6).

To my surprise the Xfinity Mobile Customer Representative (XMCR) informed me that my two new iPhone 8 Plus devices will not work on XM. I started to tell him that they were unlocked from Apple and he shook his head no stating that he has tried this previously with other customers and it just did not work.

Defeated and scared to try to port two numbers to a network that did not support my new phones, I decided to only establish new service on the iPhone 6. I received a new number on a XM SIM card and inserted it in the iPhone 6 and that worked well, no issues.

After returning home I was determined to disprove the XMCR (not in a hateful way, I mean the guy was really cool about it and agreed with me that they should work). I powered off my iPhone 6 (now on XM) and one of my iPhone 8 Plus phones (still on AT&T). I took the XM SIM and placed it in my iPhone 8 Plus and powered it on. Ta da! It worked. I was able to place a phone call to my work phone (and other phones too), I was able to receive a call, I was able to use data on the XM LTE network (mobile browsing), and I was able to turn on Wi-Fi calling (and make and receive calls on Airplane mode with Wi-Fi on).

This sounds to me like my iPhone 8 Plus devices (at least one of them, I didn’t try the other phone since the only difference is color) are compatible with XM.

Here are the specific model numbers of my iPhone 8 Plus devices:

Model: MQ8E2LL/A

Model: A1864

EMC:    3160

Can someone from Comcast/Xfinity confirm that these phones are compatible, so I can return to the Xfinity Store and port my two lines from AT&T to XM?

Thanks,

-German

Contributor

Re: BYOD Apple Store SIM-free iPhone 8 Plus

Since iPhone 7 and 8 models sold by ATT have an Intel rather than Qualcomm modem they will not work on Verizon/XM. SIMM free models sold by Apple will work as well as unlocked Verizon models.

It appears XM  just doesn’t want to make the effort to check the IMEI number and determine if the model has the proper modem. 

The reason for this may be one of marketing, or training time. 

In fairness to XM however, I purchased a full price unlocked iPhone 7, Verizon version from Bestbuy knowing I may want to switch carriers at some point only to find out after 1 year ATT still locked the phone to their network.

A proper policy on this issue should be implemented.

Official Employee

GermanRodriguez, thanks for posting. 

I understand where you're coming from. I've seen this a few times on the forums. At this time, our BYOD program is only officially supporting iPhones from the Big 4 (T-Mobile, Sprint, ATT, Verizon). While your iPhone from Apple may work, features on the provisioning side could fall off. Because we do not support devices straight from Apple, we would not be able to guarantee repair as needed.

Contributor

Because we do not support devices straight from Apple, we would not be able to guarantee repair as needed.

You are not making sense Sir.  Why would Xfinity responsible for a BYOD phone for repair?  BYOD by definition is a phone purchased outside of Xfinity.

Official Employee

MrBobb, I'm talking about feature repair. Meaning if your VoLTE suddenly stopped working on your Apple Store iPhone, we would not be able to guarantee we could add that feature back on our end. 

KenF