Community Forum

BYOD Android

Contributor

BYOD Android

Are we really expected to believe that Xfinity is working on BYOD for Android. They have been saying for well over a year that it is "in the pipeline" "coming soon"

Or are the just leading people on because they do not want to lose the revenue stream from selling phones. Or are they afraid of an overloaded of customers when they can make the move without having to buy a new phone?
New Poster

Re: BYOD Android

I'd love to bring my Moto G6 and my wife's Moto G4 over to Xfinity Mobile.  It's hard to imagine what's taking Xfinity so long to provide BYOD Android functionality, particularly given the fact that BYOD Android capability is practically ubiquitous among mobile providers these days.

Regular Contributor

Specially when you can take your xfinity Sim and pop it in any compatible phone and it works fine
Regular Visitor

I've lost hope of BYOAndroid. It doesn't seem of any interest to them.

Anyone know if it's possible to just flash Xfinity Mobile firmware on an unlocked Samsung device and use it on their network if I already have a SIM? I can pick up an unlocked Note 9 at Best Buy for $799 (or $695 open box), no activation required. Or an S10+ for $949 and get a free smartwatch. Meanwhile either is $1000 through Xfinity because they have absolute trash upgrade paths.

Regular Contributor

I would assume. S8 and up as long as they are unlocked can be flashed with any sales code. Xfinity is CCT. When flashing in odin flash the CSC with CCT. Sometimes you have to follow other steps. But a lot of the newer samsungs auto select their csc based on sim inserted. You can look up on xda developers about carrier change. All the new snapdragon samsungs regardless of carrier all support all US frequencies
Frequent Visitor

I've been using my Pixel 2 on XM for several months now. No issues with a couple of exceptions:

• Visual Voicemail does not work -- you have to dial in to see if you have any messages. No big deal for me -- I've set up a busy/no-answer transfer to a Google Voice number that goes straight to voicemail. Google sends me notifications when I get a new message.
  • WiFi Calling started working a month or so ago, but I don't think it's been working lately (or it just stopped telling me that calls are using WiFi). This is not a show-stopper for me, either.
Frequent Visitor

OK, Xfinty sells new Android phones. They were setting me up with a LG K30 at $175 that is Verizon network compatibal. The same phone from Amazon is $140 for Verizon compatibily. But they will not let us BYOD my unlocked LG K20??? It is compabital with Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T Simm's. All they need to do is give me a Xfinity Simm and it should be a snap. Since Xfinity uses the Verizon Cell Network and sells Android phones, WHY can I not BYOD?

?

?

I see it as a rip off.

Frequent Visitor

And, does anyone at Xfinity read and respond to these post? Or are we Farting in the wind?

Regular Visitor

I do not think they are keen on supporting BYOD android, I waited few months to replace my iphone with android, then ported out.

Contributor

The site now says that BYOD "Galaxy" is coming soon for the S8 and newer. It's so bizarre how slow and specific to the model it is. Pretty much every MVNO out there just sells SIM cards that you can put in whatever compatible phone you want.

Official Employee

Hey All, 

We definitely want to thank everyone for their patience. I know that BYOD android is highly anticipated. I'm waiting on this myself and I have an LG G6! We have added the option for Samsung users for our future roll out so keep an eye out! 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

How about just shipping SIM cards like every other carrier and MVNO? A lot of people SIM swap anyway.

Official Employee

How about just shipping SIM cards like every other carrier and MVNO? A lot of people SIM swap anyway.

BiggAJW, We do that now for select iPhones. I know where you're coming from but it is more than just putting a sim card in an unlocked device. It's about making sure we are fully able to support the service and feature provisioning for that OS. It's also about being able to support back end provisioning if features fail. We are working that out now to make the launch as smooth as possible. 

Ken

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@ComcastKenF wrote:

BiggAJW, We do that now for select iPhones. I know where you're coming from but it is more than just putting a sim card in an unlocked device. It's about making sure we are fully able to support the service and feature provisioning for that OS. It's also about being able to support back end provisioning if features fail. We are working that out now to make the launch as smooth as possible. 

Ken

But you don't. It's tied to a specific device/IMEI, at least to activate. Of course people have figured out that once you have the SIM, you can swap it into any compatible device and it works. You can buy a SIM card in Wal-Mart or a gas station, so why not just offer SIMs like everyone else does?

New Poster

I, too, have an LG K20 Plus Android phone, and I am told by xfinity rep that they currently don't have Android capability and they are working on it. Since xfinity is offering LG K30 phones, then why can't they just accept the LG K20 phones since the LG K30 phones are just an upgrade from the LG K20 phones? It would just make sense! The K30's just have more capabilities than the K20's, so the K20's should be easier for xfinity to accept than the K30's, which would be more complicated for xfinity to work with I would think, and here xfinity offers the K30 but not the K20. Why is it only new phones that are accepted by xfinity, but not any of the older or current phones? Does something seem amiss here? I think perhaps so, especially, since the K20 is a current model less than a year old, than the K30's that are brand new. Why not accept the K20's also (I have had the K20 less than a year and it is a really good phone still in great condition- almost new condition- I would really Not like to have to buy a new phone, especially, after I had purchased it brand new from a cell phone store)?!?!
New Poster

Then why not accept the LG K20 Plus phone since you are offering the brand new LG K30 phones, which I would think would be more complicated for xfinity acceptance than the LG K20 phones would be.
New Poster

It was the never ending wait for BYOD - Android that had us switch to Google Fi. We wanted away from Verizon, and with brands new phones, we weren't about to buy new ones again. Xfinity had a great idea with their mobile, its a shame it's been limited by the BYOD restrictions.
New Poster

How did you activate your Pixel?  Did you just tell them you had an iphone, or did you activate in an iphone, then move the sim card?

Official Employee

Hi All, 

BYOD android is expected to launch later this year.

If you use an XFINITY Mobile sim card in a non XFINITY Mobile purchased android, certain features may not work. 

Ken

Frequent Visitor

Still waiting for BYOD Android......

My K20 Plus is working fine now on Google Fi. Got such a bad ending with T Mobile with threats of sending my account to a collections agency when they had not even sent me my final bill yet. They are nasty.

The K30 Xfinity sells has a slight bigger battery but has a smaller megapxel camera than the K20 Plus. But everything else is about the same K20 Plus Vs K30.

So, I am still not understanding why a K30 is good to go but my K20 Plus is 'Persona Non Grata'. Basiclly the same phone.

Frequent Visitor

Since I didn't have an iPhone, I bought one of the $5/month Moto phones in order to get a SIM.
Contributor

Where's my face palm emoji? XF all you've done is just upset us even more by throwing the Galaxy up as an option and it's still not even ready?

For those wondering, yes you probably can get a Android BYOD but just not officially supported. I have XF note 8 but also have one from At&t and flashed it with XF image. All features including visual vmaip Worked fine accept VoLTE which involves letting you use data while on a call. It'll work at first then get disabled
New Poster

@ComcastKenF wrote:

Ken

Sure, it takes more than that, but how does every other carrier do it? It's been how long that you have been supposedly working on this? Such a bad taste. 

Regular Contributor

It sure would be nice to be able to take advantage of Prime Day pricing on a new S10 . . .

New Poster

I was told today by the xfinity store that it should be by the end of the month. However they will not be able to port over the S10 just the S8 & S9.

Regular Contributor

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg