Community Forum

Android BYOD

Frequent Visitor

Android BYOD

If/when XM makes Android BYOD available will existing customers be able to switch phones to non-XM unlocked android phones?  If it is for new customers only I need to find another service provider.

Contributor

Re: Android BYOD

Excellent question. I have a phone bought from Xfinity that is cracked and would like to replace it with another Android that I buy elsewhere. Will I be able to do this or is this the catch that Xfinity has to make us buy their phones? If so I too will be going elsewhere. Tracfone worked great for years before XM came along. They take all phones.

Frequent Visitor

Why wait?

I activated service on the old iphones I haven't been using. 

Then I moved the sims to the Moto phones.

It's been working perfectly ever since.

No need for a blessing from the provider.

Frequent Visitor

Tried switching sim from XM LG XCharge to Non Verizon unlocked Moto 4 plus with no luck (will not even recognize the sim).  So, unfortunately I do need to wait on XM.

Regular Contributor

My sister purchased the X Charge and has yet to use it other than for activation. She put the sim in her Factory Unlocked Motorola and has been using it for months now...she is missing a few features but none that she misses, so she is happy.

Frequent Visitor

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have tried several times and each time it shows "no sim".  Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Frequent Visitor

Pad the sim with a little strip of paper on the back to make it tighter. My family member G4 has the same problem with a different provider.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion!  So far, so good.  Mr NJ I owe you one.

New Poster

Will a Moto E4 from Verizon Prepaid work?

New Poster

are the sims exactly the same size.   if not, there are adapters that you can buy for about one dollar that make the sims compatable

Frequent Visitor

Re: Android BYOD - WHEN ??

Hey Xfinity, I'm STILL WAITING for Bring Your Own ANDROID Device on Xfinity Mobile.  BYOD rolled out over a year ago for iPhones but most of us have Android phones.  I've got 2 Samsung Galaxy S8 android phones I'd love to move over to XfinMobile. I'd need to pay them off (I'd lump-sum payoff) for the move.

So 2 Questions:

1) WHEN can I BYOD?

2) I need to keep existing phone numbers on both phones - will XfinMobile allow that? 

Regular Visitor

Your Android phone will work just fine you just need to get them to give you the SIM card <edited for violating forum guidelines> I put my son's SIM card from Xfinity in my pixel and it works fine

Frequent Visitor

Thanks trbomp5, now I feel a bit more encouraged .....

Couple questions remain:
1) Was your android Pixel unlocked? Would my Samsung S8's need to be unlocked in order for the Xfinity SIM cards to work?

(If so, I assume I'd need to pay them off at AT&T and ghet AT&T to unlock them - true?)

2) If I claim I own 2 iPhones and get the SIMs, can I retain the existing phone numbers when I get service (phone. message, and data) through Xfinity?

3) Does your method impose any usability limitations on my S8s?  If the move to Xfinity mobile is as simple as you said, WHY doesn't Xfinity Mobile welcome all Android users at this time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

New Poster

Hi all, here's my experience and hope this helps

I activated a new line with moto e5 in July. 

I just bought a better unlocked andriod phone (originally Verizon, so it's CDMA one)

For curiousty, I inserted the XM sim card onto my new andriod phone which is not on the short official compatible phone list, and it works just fine !

I can make phone calls, using data, and etc. 

The only issue I see is that it does not display "Xfinity mobile", it shows "Verizon wireless"

So here's what I think after read through everyone's post:

1.  You need a official xfinity mobile compatible device to ACTIVATE the sim card

2. It has to be Verizon unlocked Android phone to have a chance because we all know XM use Verizon network

3. There may be some features you can't use, I just haven't found out or it does not apply to my daily usage.