Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Adding unlocked iPhone to xfinity account Is a major headache. Support was no help.

New Poster

Adding unlocked iPhone to xfinity account Is a major headache. Support was no help.

I am trying to add another line to my xfinity mobile account. Except I don’t want to buy a phone from xfinity when I already have one  The iPhone 5s was on straight talk and is unlocked now. The xfinity bring your own phone site says the device may be compatible, but you have to bring it into a store. I brought the phone into the xfinity store (40 minute drive). The rep looks up the IMEI number and says the xfinity site says the phone is not compatible and it must be an iPhone 6 or higher. I get back home and lookup the device model and carrier again online and it says it may be compatible. I call xfinity customer service. They said they have no way of helping over the phone and I would have to take the phone into the store. Imagine my frustration now. I probably should’ve started by saying I have been in IT for about 30 years. I plan, install and configure government and enterprise networks. I have worked on several cellular networks over the years including cspire(formerly cellular south) and at&t. I know how these networks and devices work. As long as the iPhone is unlocked and is compatible to the network type(GSM, etc.) the phone will work. I took the SIM card from my CSpire phone, placed it in the former straight talk Iphone, rebooted and was able to make calls, access internet with no problem. So I know the phone is unlocked. I then took the SIM card from my existing xfinity mobile phone (Samsung galaxy note s8)and placed it in the straight talk iphone. Guess what, it works. I was able to make calls and access data services. I told the customer service rep on the phone I was able to make the alleged incompatible phone work with my existing xfinity mobile SIM card. The customer service rep on the phone says, go to the store and show them it works when you put the xfinity SIM card in and maybe they can help. First of all, the xfinty store rep says the system wouldn’t let her go any further on the screen and didn’t know what to do. If I can get a SIM card sent to me with a new number I can do the rest. The folks in the stores have very little knowledge of how wireless networks work and can only tell you what the computer screen says. Xfinity mobile should have a way of accommodating their more experienced customers. I don’t need to go into a store and hear some kid tell me what they think when I know better. How can I get a SIM card with a new number sent to me and i will do the rest?

Contributor

Re: Adding unlocked iPhone to xfinity account Is a major headache. Support was no help.

First off, I am no expert at this kind of stuff.

My experience using SIM cards in unlocked phones has been only with a "prepaid" type of service overseas and in the US; [go to store, show ID, buy SIM card and prepay phone usage].

Isn’t a carrier specific cellular data plan more complex to set up and administer than a simple prepaid service plan?

Why is it that when you buy a phone from Apple you have to select a carrier for Apple to activate the phone.  Do they tweak iOS to carriers' specs?  Can those same tweaks be accomplished through firmware on a SIM card?

An XFINITY store technician today told me that an iPhone 7 Plus purchased from Apple, no carrier, no SIM, unlocked, will likely never qualify as a BYOD because it has no carrier associated with it.

I just renewed a plan for that phone with an XM competitor for at least another 6 months.

There is room for XM to try harder at welcoming and accomodating new Mobile customers, especially existing XFINITY customers - it only makes good business sense.    

That said, I think that XM store technicians in general at this early stage are trying their best.

New Poster

Re: Adding unlocked iPhone to xfinity account Is a major headache. Support was no help.

More BS from the xfinity store. I went back to the store today, showed them that the phone was unlocked and will work with the XM sim. They said they have to call their tech support but if the system says the phone is not compatible they can’t do anything about that. They call tech support and gave them the information about the phone. At first tech support said they don’t know why the phone shows up as incompatible, then the store clerk asked where the phone came from. I could have told them anything since the phone is unlocked and not tied to any carrier. I told them it was a straight talk phone and has been unlocked by straight talk. They then said, oh, that’s the problem. A straight talk iPhone won’t work. It has to be an AT&T, Verizon or T-Mobile phone. I said the phone is unlocked and not tied to any carrier. Plus if you go to the XM BYOP site it says an iPhone 5s from AT&T is not compatible. They still insisted since it used to be straight talk it won’t work. Even after I removed my XM sim, put it in the phone and called my CSpire phone while I was in the store. They still said there is nothing they can do. I refuse to buy a phone from XM that I already own and I really hate being fed BS from people who have no clue about wireless networks and devices. I still don’t understand why they are obsessed with the IMEI number of the phone when that has nothing to do with the SIM card provisioning. You can provision a SIM card and issue a phone number without knowing what phone it will be installed in. I can take any activated SIM card and place it in any unlocked phone with the same size SIM card slot. As long as the phone is capable of working with the network protocols, it will work. This is the kind of incompetence that will make me cancel everything and go back to pre-paid services. It’s not about the money for me it’s about the freedom of choice. I travel a lot and need the freedom to purchase local services of the countries I’m in at the time and use my XM service when I’m home. I carry personal and business phones and need the flexibility to switch at will. If XM is not capable of doing something as simple as provisioning a SIM card and tying it to my XM mobile account then maybe they should not be advertising BYOP services because they clearly are amateurs at provisioning phones. Or they simply think i’ll fall for the BS and buy a phone I don’t need. If they can’t get it together I’m gone. I’m loyal to companies that take care of their customers. I’ll pay more for the freedom before I lock myself into a service I can’t use.

Official Employee

Tripjam, thanks for posting. We cannot send sim only activation to customers for the BYOD trials. They must be done in the store at this time. 

I understand that straight talk utilizes the networks of the Big 4. However, we only accept one type of iPhone 5s/5/5c-- that is the device provided by Verizon. If that specific device wasn't purchased from Verizon, it is not compatible. 

New Poster

Thanks for your response, but it’s that kind of response that’s most frustrating. You say BYOD activations can be done at the store and the only IPhone 5S phones you can activate are Verizon iPhones. If you look at my previous post, you’ll see that I said the in-store person and the tech support person she was on the phone with said they can’t activate straight talk phones, but if I had an AT&T, Verizon or CSpire iphone they would activate those. Now you are saying only Verizon iPhone 5s phones can be activated. It’s these inconsistent answers from the “experts” that make the whole experience not worth it. There are BYOD plans that will simply give you an activated SIM card and tie it to your account. If what you’re saying is true then i’ll never make use of the other XM lines I have on my account because the only way I can use them is to buy another overpriced phone from XM or find another iPhone that was on Verizon. What’s the point of advertising BYOD? At a minimum, if you clearly state on your BYOD site that the iphone must be Verizon I think your customers will appreciate it. They won’t waste time going into a store only to be told that their type of phone is not compatible, when your site says it may be. Or is that the plan? Lure them into the store and say, “your phone won’t work but you can buy one of ours while you’re here.” This business model will not attract the younger customers you will need for long term business. If you can’t provide those services and flexibility the younger wireless users are accustomed to, they will not join your service. Either way it’s not looking good for XM and I. I’m better off buying a SIM card from the other BYOD providers who also are ‘piggy backing’ on the big 4 networks and using my existing phones.

Wake up Xfinity. Your cable model is outdated. Now your new mobile service is not customer friendly or sustainable. Ask AT&T, they are hemmoraging customers. You have to know people are moving away from carrier locked phones and buying unlocked devices and buying SIMs from various providers. Probably why you are testing a BYOD plan. But you are going to lose a lot of customers if you ignore the needs of the customer and the trends of the real world. Just saying.

Official Employee

Tripjam, thanks for your feedback. Our BYOD service is still a trial service so I understand there are some opportunities to expand availability to more customers. I understand how frustrating conflicting info can be. From the info I have, the 5 series of iPhone is only compatible if it is from Verizon. Please post again if you need anything else. 

New Poster

I appreciate the fact that you did not say that straight talk iPhones “won’t work” with the XM mobile SIM card. I’ve already proven that they will. You simply state that XM will only “accept” the Verizon iPhone 5s. That means this is by choice not due to any technology or restriction on the device. Funny thing about, in all of your BYOD promotions, I don’t see that mentioned anywhere. You simply say bring in an “eligible’ phone to the store, when you know no one needs to go into the store to have a SIM card provisioned. I also don’t see anywhere you define the “eligible’ phone. No where is it mentioned that any iPhone model has to be a former Verizon phone. 

Official Employee

We do state that info. It is here: www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod

On that site, you can choose your iPhone and your previous carrier to check compatibility. Any carrier outside of the Big 4 are under "other". Phones that are compatible will say they are compatible. Phones that may not be compatible are stated as "May be compatible". 

KenF

Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

They told me my IPhone 7plus will not work with them either. It’s paid for and belongs to me! After going there 4 times!!!!
Regular Contributor

The 5s has about 8 models, some are for GSM, others for CDMA, still others for Sprint/ China. I f yours is not  CDMA, which XM uses because it rides on Verizon, then it will not work. Check which one your provider uses.

New Poster

Everything XM tells you about the "incompatability" of iPhone 7 and up is complete business BS.  I've been told my Verizon and AT&T phone cannot be switched. But I can swap sim cards, reboot, accept the carrier setting changes, and I'm off to the races.  I've done this more times than you can imagine.  Apple isn't going to make a special phone for XM.  As a matter of fact, they are all cross compatible which is why you can select a carrier when purchasing a phone directly from Apple.  They don't get a special phone.  It has to do with the information on the SIM.  Anyone that knows anything about the internal workings of an iPhone can figure this out.  The company simply wants you to buy a phone from them.  They know the majority of customers coming to them have an iPhone 7 or higher.  They off er a $45 unlimited plan for your phone.  You are going to have to buy one from them to get that deal.  Its simply business.  Crappy, BS business.  That's the Comcast way, though.  It's more important to screw the customer than to allow the investor "suffer"...

Official Employee

Hello Sckizm, you're right Apple does not make phones for specifically for Xfinity mobile. Compatibility is based on your iPhone model and current or former wireless carrier. So far, only specific iPhones from Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and AT&T have been tested and approved for use on the Xfinity Mobile network. Not all iPhones are compatible.

New Poster

I agree they tell me iPhone6 they can take but my iPhone 7 no with att so then I unlocked it and still said no.why?its paid for,not lost or stolen,and not attached to anyone.a way for me to spend money I guess!

New Poster

If you can sell me an iPhone 7 why can’t I bring an iPhone 7 .?

Official Employee

Hi Ssminnows, thank you for reaching out, as mentioned above the devices that are available for the bring your own device were selected to work optimally with our network.  We are continuously evaluating how other devices can work with the Xfinity Mobile network.

Thank you