Community Forum

A tip for activating Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone

Frequent Visitor

A tip for activating Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone

Hope my experiences on how to activate my personal hotspot on iPhone can help you if you have semilar situations like the below:

1) you purchased a non-iPhone at XM (mine is LG charge)

2) you took out the SIM card from xm phone to your own iPhone (iPhone 6...)

3) you don't have "Personal Hotspot" availble but a dead URL to something like "xfinitymobile.com/support"(I don't remember the exact one)

4) you are frustrated with awful xm customer service (with many knowlegeless reps.)

Then just make a call to XM (1-888-936-4968), though I believe you've made the same call many times..., but importantly, you have to guide the representive to "Reset my SIM card features" on their end!!!

After it's done, you only need a very simple step ---restart your iPhone then check if "personal hotspot" becomes available. 

The above has been tested with my devices (also my friends' ones) and worked perfectly. I learned this by spending two weeks to talk with different reps and be transferred here and there but none of them works. Finally I happened to get the solution from local Xfinity store after they ran many tries to make the funcation work, even they had no solution at the beginning. 

Hope this tip can solve you problem, even if you don't have the same situation as mine, but want to make "personal hotspot" availbe on your iPhone, it's worth trying a call.

One more thing, since it's resetting all features, your voicemail will need to be reset on your iPhone by yourself... 

Don't forget to give me a "Kudo" if it works for you.Smiley Wink

Frequent Visitor

Re: A tip for activating Personal hotspot/tethering on iPhone

One more thing, since it's resetting all features, your voicemail will need to be reset on your iPhone by yourself... 

Contributor

Fyi, before going on a trip I tried tethering my XM-purchased iPhone 6s to a Windows 7 pc via USB, just to test whether I could use the phone to provide an internet connection to the pc.  It wasn't working.  After some searching, including here, I landed on an Apple help page where one of the suggestions was to make sure the pc had the latest version of iTunes.  I didn't have iTunes installed on the pc at all, and I don't know why it would be needed.   But sure enough, installing it immediately solved the problem.

After the iTunes install finished, my XM iPhone (on which I had enabled Personal Hotspot in Settings) immediately showed as a new wired Network Connection on the pc, and I had internet via the phone's XM cell data.  (Of course if I had been trying this somewhere where no other internet connection was available, I would have been caught in a Catch-22, as I wouldn't have had a way to download and install iTunes.

New Poster

THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I have been working with XM for over a year to solve this issue! Same situation, I started with a Galaxy S8+ and switched to iPhone and never had hotspot or visual voicemail, this fixed both in under 5 minutes!! I wish I could give you like 10 more kudos!
Regular Visitor

I realize this is an older post, but thanks for this information. I was unable to get tethering to work on my iPhone SE (all I would see was the link to the Xfinity Mobile site) and called the support line for help. I asked the person if she could "Reset my SIM card features" and she said she didn't have the ability to do that. After a couple of times on hold, she finally referred me to an Xfinity store to get a new SIM card. I asked her one last time if there was anything she could do remotely to reset my phone, and she said that she could try to "toggle my phone" as a last resort, and . . . that did the trick. Tethering works again.

The short version: if the phrase "reset my SIM card" doesn't work, try asking the person to "toggle" your phone. I don't know if that's a common term that all of the people in the help center use, but it worked for me.