Community Forum

$2111 in additional charges!!!

Frequent Visitor

$2111 in additional charges!!!

xfinitymobile has failed to notify me of price changes in the service because they used the wrong email address, consequently, $2111.76 in additional fees were added to my phone bill, upon my return from a trip overseas. The charges were automatically charged to my credit without any authorization or proper notification of the price changes in the usual service provided.

I called xfinitymobile to understand why the charges were added (case # 11524577), the first customer service representative I spoke to confirmed that the international service should have been included in my unlimited plan and that he will transfer me to a manager to take care of the charges. The manager then informed me that international use is not included in my plan and since I was notified of the international roaming fees prior to adding them to my account, the charges are valid. I explained how I was unaware of the change of service prices given that I didn’t receive any proper notifications from xfinitymobile of these changes and international service is automatically provided/enabled without any action/ authorization required from my behalf. The manager then clarified that “somehow” the system sent the notifications to the WRONG email address, therefore I didn’t receive this information. Even though the correct email address was in place in my account next to the “account admin” and my line number. The only solution she could offer me is updating my contact information to avoid this from happening in the future. I informed her that the offered solution is not sufficient and I would like to speak to her manager, she then proceeded to create a case for the “corporate team” who was suppose to get back to me within 78 hours with a resolution.

After not hearing from them for a week, I reached out to xfinitymobile again (case# 12110934), when the manager (Nicole) informed that the case is closed and the charges are valid. Their reasoning this time is that they can’t dispute any invoiced charges regardless of the situation, even though their contract states that “you may dispute a charge or request a billing credit within 120 days of the date of the billing statement”. When I explained that they were sending the notifications to the wrong email address so I couldn’t challenge the amount before it was invoiced, she explained that I should have clicked on the “terms and conditions links” provided in previous communication to be aware these charges. I expressed that I would like to speak to her manager since this was my last attempt to resolve the issue with them directly before referring to a third party, she responded that she will present the case to her manager who will get back to me in 72 hours.

As expected, I didn’t hear from them again for an entire week, I reached out to xfinitymobile for the third time (case#13304323). I spoke then to Kim, a manager, who informed that the case is closed and the charges are valid. I explained that if I was informed of these changes I would have found alternative service providers in the country I visited and receive the same service for $5 instead of $2111. She suggested I could have known of these charges via their app instead of email communication, therefore the charges are valid. Even though installing the App is not a requirement from their behalf and checking my daily usage shouldn’t be an expected behavior since I have the unlimited plan and my bill is usually the same regardless of my usage. Given the outstanding amount of the additional charges, I asked to install a payment plan until the issue is resolved to avoid service interruption and negative consequences on my credit, she responded that they don’t offer such service and that I will have to pay the entire balance right away.

xfinitymobile only offers electronic communication to inform their clients with important information regarding their service. Therefore I entirely rely on my email as the main channel of communication between us. All my bill and service information prior to this incident were received on my correct email address. I never requested a change in email address since I started my service with them.  

I am having a hard time understanding why these charges are valid, since the failure to inform me with these changes was entirely caused by their system malfunction and their customer service reps lack of knowledge. If I was aware of these changes in the appropriate time, I would have had the choice to stop using their service and find an alternative solution for a much cheaper price.

I understand that xfinitymobile is new and they are still trying to establish a fully functioning system. However, paying $2000+ instead of $45 a month because of their incompetency, is an unfair burden placed on their client. Especially if the lack of proper notifications is a repeated issue faced by other clients. (see link for customer forums below)

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Xfinity-Mobile-charged-my-card-for-1149-71/td-p/2984780

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Poor-customer-service/td-p/2919085

Now my bill is due and I am still unable to reach a solution with them.

Expert

Re: $2111 in additional charges!!!

Your issue has been escalated to the Comcast Team available to the Forums. A member of that team will reply to your post as quickly as they are able, so check back often.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Problem Solver

Ouch, that's a lot of money in roaming charges. I hope Xfinity reduces that for you.

On the email issue, I don't quite understand what you mean about them notifying you about a change in service prices. I don't think anything has changed, and they've always charged for international roaming.

However, I think your best argument may be to quote this portion of the customer agreement back to them:

"Your Service does not automatically include data roaming capabilities outside of your Coverage Area. If you wish to have data roaming capabilities outside of your Coverage Area enabled on your Device you may contact XFINITY Mobile to request that this service be enabled."
https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/policies/customer-agreement

Per the agreement, they shouldn't have allowed international data roaming at all if you didn't contact them to enable it.

The agreement does say that international calls and SMS are enabled by default, but I'm assuming that most of the charges were for data (which shouldn't have been enabled by default).
New Poster

Always get something in writting,from who you spome with. Each rwp you get,will give ypu a different answer. Your lwft paying all the miney. They dont stamd bebind their employees mistakes,at all.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for pointing out that clause! 

I switched to xfinitymobile from Tmobile, where international roaming is included in the unlimited plans. When i asked Xmobile customer representative if they offer the same deal, he confirmed that international roaming (internet use) is included in my unlimited plan. unfortunately that was a chat box conversation that i dont have records for. 

So the email notification would have been a huge help to give me heads up about the additional charges. 

Expert

@-Mike wrote:
Ouch, that's a lot of money in roaming charges. I hope Xfinity reduces that for you.

On the email issue, I don't quite understand what you mean about them notifying you about a change in service prices. I don't think anything has changed, and they've always charged for international roaming.

However, I think your best argument may be to quote this portion of the customer agreement back to them:

"Your Service does not automatically include data roaming capabilities outside of your Coverage Area. If you wish to have data roaming capabilities outside of your Coverage Area enabled on your Device you may contact XFINITY Mobile to request that this service be enabled."

Per the agreement, they shouldn't have allowed international data roaming at all if you didn't contact them to enable it.

The agreement does say that international calls and SMS are enabled by default, but I'm assuming that most of the charges were for data (which shouldn't have been enabled by default).

Since data roaming has to be enabled on the device, would enabling it would be considered a way to "contact XFINITY Mobile to request that this service be enabled"? https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/224665808/how-do-i-manage-my-international-settings

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

rmohamed1, thanks for posting. I'd like to take a look into your billing concerns. Please send me a private message with your full name, residential account number and address for help.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

OK i just sent the information to you. let me know if you need additional information. 

Thanks.

Official Employee

OK i just sent the information to you. let me know if you need additional information. 

Thanks.

rmohamed1, got it!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately another disappointment. 

"I can create another ticket to XFINITY Mobile support for them to look into this, however, I do not believe we will get a different answer from the other tickets that were closed. Let me know if you'd like me to open another ticket.   KenF"

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity is great at charging people for erroneous/non-existent issues, giving incredibly incorrect information during "customer service" phone calls (I am quoting cust service because I wouldn't even qualify it as that, it is a bunch of people in India that lie to you repeatedly to get you off the phone), and taking weeks to resolve any issue.  I had a charge of $1020 on my account for an exchanged device that didn't pass grading because it was "flashed".  This was completely untrue.  A ticket was opened, took them a week to call me back and tell me they were wrong...it passed the grading test and there is now a refund.

The point is, don't believe anything you hear from calling in, and good luck getting resolution here.  My situation is being resolved thankfully, I hope yours does too....but one thing is for sure, Xfinity Mobile does not give refunds quickly or easily.

Frequent Visitor

I am glad your situation is resolved. They are not leaving any room for negotiation in my case. unfortunately, I have to involve multiple agencies by filing a complaint to find a solution. I will post updates as they happen. 

Frequent Visitor

Please do. Sorry this happened to you, I was incredibly upset when it happened to me. I mean, there is no way that Comcast was charged by the other networks over $2000 when roaming, this is probably mostly profit for them (although they probably did have to pay something to them). . The right thing to do for Xfinity is to give you your $$ back and have you reimburse them for their costs with the other networks. But they don't care at all about their customers, and have no problem doing the wrong thing. No empathy whatsoever. I will be hoping for you....$2000 Is too much money to just have vanish for almost no reason.

Not sure if you thought of this, but I heard that calling their corporate office and telling your story there gets results quickly. Also filing a complaint with the FCC will force them to respond and maybe resolve it too. Cant hurt to give these two a shot.
Expert

@rmohamed1 wrote:

Unfortunately another disappointment. 

"I can create another ticket to XFINITY Mobile support for them to look into this, however, I do not believe we will get a different answer from the other tickets that were closed. Let me know if you'd like me to open another ticket.   KenF"

I think the reason he doesn't believe you'll get a different answer is because based on the My XFINITY Mobile Customer Agreement the charges are valid and you agree to pay them. They don't have to notify you how much they'll be, and because you're enrolled in the automatic payment plan, that authorized the charges to your card.

"Your Service may be used for international calling and roaming. “Roaming” occurs when your Device uses another provider’s transmission site. Use of your Service while roaming is dependent on the roaming carrier’s support of applicable network technology and functionality. Sometimes roaming happens even when you’re within your Coverage Area. There may be higher rates and extra charges (including charges for long distance, tolls, or calls that don’t connect) for international calling or when roaming. Your Service automatically provides you with international calling and SMS (Text) roaming capabilities. If you do not wish to have international calling or SMS (Text) roaming enabled on your Device you may contact XFINITY Mobile to request that these services be blocked. Your Service does not automatically include data roaming capabilities outside of your Coverage Area. If you wish to have data roaming capabilities outside of your Coverage Area enabled on your Device you may contact XFINITY Mobile to request that this service be enabled. You may or may not be informed that you are roaming, or of the associated costs."

"You agree to pay all charges incurred by your account for your Services, including without limitation: any taxes and fees on all included, and or paid for, lines of service; data usage; international calling, roaming, and any other features or services used on your account, you enable or subscribe to..."

"By enrolling in our automatic payment program, you authorize us to (i) to initiate recurring automated clearing house (ACH) debit entries or debit card payments from the checking or savings account you specify, or (ii) to initiate recurring charges from your specified credit card. The amount debited from your checking or savings account or charged to your credit card every month will be the then current balance on your XFINITY Mobile account. Your current balance is the amount on your XFINITY Mobile billing statement plus additional charges billed to your account after your billing statement was issued, less credits or payments posted to your account after your billing statement was issued. Once your enrollment is processed, all payments will be automatically withdrawn from your specified checking or savings account or charged to the designated credit card on the XFINITY Mobile billing statement due date, unless you terminate your authorization in the manner described herein."

This page has a link to a tool to look up the rates for different countries. Some are much more expensive than others. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/223307028/can-i-use-xfinity-mobile-when-i-travel-inte...

Contributor

I also came from T-Mobile and the rep that I spoke to on the phone before switching also told me that roaming is free and part of my unlimited package. I took the time though to look around their website before traveling and found their insane rates. My note8 came with data roaming enabled, I quickly unchecked it and also changed the network settings from global to just cdma/LTE. I paid my note8 off in full they gave me the unlocked code for it and instructions on how to do it which I followed. P.s. don't unlocked your phone using a T-Mobile SIM it will ask to reboot the device then it locks it to T-Mobile network. I wish you luck with your situation. I honestly don't believe that they will actually help you being that when my phone became locked they practically told me that they couldn't help and that I had to contact T-Mobile which also didn't help. I annoyed the heck out of samsung until they finally decided to help.
Frequent Visitor

I am reading these messages about the $2111 roaming charges with some concern.  My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe and thought the text and calling rates were reasonable.  Is there something else I need to concern myself with?  Are there charges in addition to 10 cents per voice minute and text that are posted for the UK?

Official Employee

I am reading these messages about the $2111 roaming charges with some concern.  My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe and thought the text and calling rates were reasonable.  Is there something else I need to concern myself with?  Are there charges in addition to 10 cents per voice minute and text that are posted for the UK?

Harold-Wolf, no there are no additional costs. As long as you monitor the amount of incoming and outgoing text, how long your phone conversations are and how much data (per megabyte) that you're using, you can manage your international costs. 

There is always the option to unlock your device (if you are not on a payment plan) and use a prepaid sim card from the country you are traveling to, to save a few bucks. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

wrote:

yes, there are additional charges for internet use as well, thats what caused my bill to be so high. they charged me $0.50 per GB. 

Contributor

Are you sure it was $0.50 cents per gb and not $50 per gb cause wow. So you basically never hooked up to WiFi where you where at? That bill is insane.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

I suspect the rate was $.50 per MB, not GB. Xfinity quotes their international data rates per MB, and they seem to range from $.05 to $.50 per MB depending upon country. At $.50 per MB you’d be over $2k with just 4 GB of usage.
Official Employee

I suspect the rate was $.50 per MB, not GB. Xfinity quotes their international data rates per MB, and they seem to range from $.05 to $.50 per MB depending upon country. At $.50 per MB you’d be over $2k with just 4 GB of usage.

That's right. International rates are measured by MB. 

Frequent Visitor

wrote:

That's right. International rates are measured by MB. 

Frequent Visitor

After filing complaints with couple of state and federal agencies, an escalation specialist, Cody S., from comcast reached out to me to resolve the issue. After several conversations back and forward and the involvement of the policy team (according to him), the conclusion is that the user agreement has changed since I signed the contract in sept 2017. According to the specialist, the initial agreement mentioned international calls, text, AND data roaming are automatically enabled in the service by default. Therefore i dint have to reach out to Xfinity to enable international roaming data feature.

This statement is different than the current agreement on their website stating:

He also mentioned that the current agreement on their website was updated on January 11th 2018 and will not go into effect until February 8th, 2018. Just keep that in mind if you are traveling internationally soon.

When I tried to get a copy of the agreement that was in place when I signed the contract (I did the activation online and an electronic copy of the agreement was not sent to my email address), customer service rep, Joel C., confirmed that no changes have taken place in the agreement since I signed up with Xfinity and that the current agreement on the website has been the same since I signed up with Xfinity. See attached screenshot. Typical Xfinity mobile service Smiley Happy 

did anyone receive notice of change in user agreement from Xfinity mobile recently? 

confirming current agreement.PNG
Expert

I haven't received anything recently, and don't have a copy of the earlier agreement. Keep in mind, even if they don't personally contact you, it's your responsibility to check the agreement for any changes. If all they do is post a new agreement, you've been notified.

"NOTICE METHODS FOR CHANGES TO MY SERVICE OR THIS AGREEMENT

We may deliver any notice concerning our relationship with you, including notice of any change to this Agreement, in any one or more of the following ways, as determined in our discretion: (1) by posting it on www.xfinity.com or any other website about which you have been notified; (2) by mail or hand delivery to the services address on your account; (3) by e-mail to the address for your account in our records; or (4) by including it on or with your bill for your Service. You agree that any one of the foregoing will constitute sufficient and effective notice under this Agreement. Because we may from time to time notify you about important information regarding your Service and this Agreement by these methods, you agree it is your responsibility to regularly check your postal mail, e-mail and all postings at www.xfinity.com or any other website about which you have been notified. If you find any change to this Agreement to be unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your Service. Your continued receipt of your Service for more than 30 days after we deliver notice of change, however, will constitute your acceptance of the change."

Official Employee

rmohamed1, glad Cody was able to resolve this for you. Post again if you need further assistance.