Community Forum

100MB free data dropped!

Most Valued Poster

Re: 100MB free data dropped!

Does anyone have a clue what the 'data saver' feature is going to be for those of  us being moved to Gen 2 next month and DON'T use data?

Sideabar...To add insult to injury my Comcast bill for everything except mobile just went up $9 a month. Might as well kick me while I am down I guess.

"On August 1, we introduced the second generation of the Xfinity Mobile Plan. It includes two additional shared data amounts – 3 GB for $30/mo and 10 GB for $60/mo – as well as HD video resolution for By the Gig lines (and a new Data Saver feature for those who are comfortable with standard video resolution). The additions provide more savings and allow groups and families the flexibility to better build a plan that fits their needs.

To make the shared data amounts available to everyone, we are moving customers on our original plan to the second generation plan. This move will occur on your February billing cycle end date. "

Contributor

The data saver option allows you to stream video at a lower rate than normal..  If you don't use data it does not affect you..

Most Valued Poster

@bigbw1 wrote:

The data saver option allows you to stream video at a lower rate than normal..  If you don't use data it does not affect you..

Thanks so much...I was hoping that it was some kind of 'gift' to those who don't use data but now that I think about it...duh on me....because streaming requires data regardless of the speed.

Valued Contributor

I believe the data saver rate is 480p. And there is no limit on data over wifi so set your phone to default to wifi if available.

Most Valued Poster

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

I believe the data saver rate is 480p. And there is no limit on data over wifi so set your phone to default to wifi if available.

=================

I don't understand 'data over WIFI'....? Are you saying I could stream over WIFI or  perform other tasks that need data w/o turning mobile data on? Never heard of  that so please enlighten me.

Bronze Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

=================

I don't understand 'data over WIFI'....? Are you saying I could stream over WIFI or  perform other tasks that need data w/o turning mobile data on? Never heard of  that so please enlighten me.

Using wifi almost eliminates the need for a cell connection. When I'm home, I leave my phone in airplane mode and only have one noticable problem: the andriod mms over wifi not sending problem. There are some simular problems on iphone, but not sure.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB. Think of your phone as another computer attached to your home network through WiFi. You can do most anything online with your phone that you do with a computer, you are using data from comcast internet instead of mobile data. Ihave an iphone so to send and receive MMS messages (photos,ect)i need to have mobile data on. once i leave the house I turn mobile data off and can no longer do those internet things. In Feb I will turn mobile data on when out and about to see how much I use being that i will be charged for 1 gb and try to get it close as I can. If you you penny pinch on the 100mb as I did then it shouldn't be that difficult.

Most Valued Poster

@davdri wrote:

@TerriB. Think of your phone as another computer attached to your home network through WiFi. You can do most anything online with your phone that you do with a computer, you are using data from comcast internet instead of mobile data. Ihave an iphone so to send and receive MMS messages (photos,ect)i need to have mobile data on. once i leave the house I turn mobile data off and can no longer do those internet things. In Feb I will turn mobile data on when out and about to see how much I use being that i will be charged for 1 gb and try to get it close as I can. If you you penny pinch on the 100mb as I did then it shouldn't be that difficult.

Thanks for that! Happy that my Android phone allows me to send/receive MMS over WIFI and wish that was same for i-phone. Maybe they knew what they were doing when they only allowed i-phones to be ported over to Mobile because they 'knew' that data would be needed for everyday tasks like MMS (just sayin!). I have always had Android mainly due to the cost and never really understood what a super pricey i-phone could do that my Android can't.

I bet it doesn't take long for you to reach 1gb after Feb since the 'data clock' keeps on ticking even when you aren't actively using data. We found that out the hard way by leaving it on accidentally. We will continue just like we do today after Feb by not using data unless its absolutely necessary like at the gas station for Exxon Rewards  app which saves us money. Have not found an Exxon station with WIFI yet....Smiley Sad