Community Forum

100MB free data dropped!

New Poster

100MB free data dropped!

I was about to switch over to Xfinity Mobile because I rarely go over 100MB of mobile data, now I just discover they have dropped the free 100MB's of data as of August 2019.  I guess greed is starting to show it's ugly face again with this company.  I mean most of you probably use 100MB's of  mobile data in 5 minutes, but not all of us do.  I'm really disappointed that if I continue to decide to switch, that now I have to pay 12 bucks for 1GB of data, whether I want to or not.

Would it really have killed them to keep the 100MB of free data, knowing that most people are going to use way more than that anyways?  Bad move guys!

Contributor

Re: 100MB free data dropped!

Is there a cheaper alternative for you?

New Poster

Did I say there was?  I'm merely starting a topic to show disappointment and greed.

Contributor

A company has to make money.  OK so you don't use data, but you do use unlimited talk and text correct?  Thats a heck of a deal for 12 bucks a month.  Maybe there are better deals out there, I haven't found one.

There are lots of companies out there offering services.  Thats the great thing, if there are better deals you are free to move around and find the best deal for you.  

Valued Contributor

@Dayvidpriddy wrote:

I was about to switch over to Xfinity Mobile because I rarely go over 100MB of mobile data, now I just discover they have dropped the free 100MB's of data as of August 2019.  I guess greed is starting to show it's ugly face again with this company.  I mean most of you probably use 100MB's of  mobile data in 5 minutes, but not all of us do.  I'm really disappointed that if I continue to decide to switch, that now I have to pay 12 bucks for 1GB of data, whether I want to or not.

Would it really have killed them to keep the 100MB of free data, knowing that most people are going to use way more than that anyways?  Bad move guys!

Looks like some new changes have been introduced.  Partial data usage regardless of the first 100 mb has been removed; similarly non-xfinity cable customers are charged $20 per month (compared to $10 per month before).

For accounts opened after 7/31/19, with By the Gig lines, a minimum $12.00 charge applies per month, regardless of data usage. Data charge applies to each GB or partial GB of shared data. Data shared monthly with other By the Gig lines. No rollover data. After 20 GB of monthly data use, speeds are reduced to a maximum of 1.5 Mbps download/750 kbps upload, determined and applied on a per line basis.

Regular Contributor

When you snooze you lose. I missed the last Amazon Prime days and the last black friday, my bad. Sometimes ya just wait too long. BUT I did not miss the free 100 mb on XM!!! BTW my bill for two lines is........$6.93😁per month.

New Poster

they are dropping it for all of us starting in feb 2020 now :/

just called them and they are not grandfathering anyone.

Contributor

All dissapointment and greed aside, I am hoping/expecting that the 100MB free data can be a non-issue for those of us who keep data turned off and only turn it on when we have WiFi connectivity to the Internet. We'll turn Data on just to check for SMS messages (texts with images) or even really long texts seem to need Data turned on for my iPhone...

My understanding is that if WiFi is on and connected to the internet, the Xfinity data (from Verizon) is not used. Top left of home screen on the phone just shows the WiFi signal image, and if the internet is not available and Verizon Data is being used, LTE or x2 or x3 or even (up here in Yosemite), x1 might show instead of the WiFi signal image.

The 100MB free usage going away is a bummer, though, as it did make for a good buffer!

Sigh

New Poster

they told me a min $12 dollar charge even if we keep it off...

Contributor

@gabefluty wrote:

they told me a min $12 dollar charge even if we keep it off...

Hope this thread isn't too cranky for a Comcast person to hop in and clarify... Looking again at the announcement, they do not say one word about a "No Data" plan and if for 1GB it actually requires some data usage to trigger the $12 (cell phone voice and simple texting). So this seems solidly in the bait-and-switch category of marketing. Sad.

Contributor

• By the Gig no longer includes an allowance of 100 MB of shared data. In other words, you'll pay a minimum of $12/mo per account for cellular data for your By the Gig lines.

Seems pretty self explanatory to me.  Even if you use "NO DATA", you are still signed up for the By the Gig plan.  Since you never signed a contract for a certain amount of time, they are free to change the terms at any time (and you are free to leave at any time).  Great thing about this country is, if you don't like it, ATT, Verizon, Sprint, Google Fi, Cricket, Tmobile are always willing to take your money.

If you find a plan for unlimited talk, text, and 1GB of data for less than 12 bucks a month, let me know.  I would like to look into it.

Frequent Visitor

It's great. Last month I was told everyone was being grandfathered in. I figured they would at leasy keep that up for a year. Lost that bet lol. It's still cheaper than verizon prepay so I will stick with them for now.

Regular Contributor

Where does it say that the 100mb will be dropped from Gen 1 in Feb? Please post a link, I can't find it .

Contributor

@davdri wrote:

Where does it say that the 100mb will be dropped from Gen 1 in Feb? Please post a link, I can't find it .

Not sure if online anywhere, but received an email today.  There was info about Gen2, but this was at end.  

Two key differences we want to highlight: 

• You may experience temporarily slower data when the LTE network is unusually busy. 
  • By the Gig no longer includes an allowance of 100 MB of shared data. In other words, you'll pay a minimum of $12/mo per account for cellular data for your By the Gig lines.

My internet/tv package, "Super Triple Play", has a discount of -$12 for mobile. "Xfinity Mobile Discount 1 Gig of Data on Us"

I am unclear if that will continue or is just until this Gen2 rolls out.  I have to go back and read the fine print of what Super Triple Play includes.

Frequent Visitor

Direct from the email i recieved today:

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 12.22.35 PM.png

Also here is the site with the gen 1 vs. gen 2 plans:

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/plan-changes 

Valued Contributor

So I need some clarification. I own 3 Xfinity Phones since the first month they offered mobile service. 2 of the phones are on but with data service permanently off. 1 phone is shut off and is only a back up if one of my phones is lost or breaks. I have never used any data service but do pay the local state tax for all three phones.

Each night the two phones that are on call to xfinity to verify they are working. (I have no idea if the shut off phones calls or not.) And at the end of each month there is usually 1.xxMB of data used. Again this is not use of data but the phone service. On my monthly bill my data usage is always 0.0 and I am never billed for data only taxes and state fees.

So my question is will I be billed $12 each month for each phone including the shut off phone since each are  on the by the Gig plan or $36 a month plus taxes? Does this mean I need to buy the $30 a month group plan to pay for all three phones to save $6 off the individual by the Gig plans? Or do I need to have 2 phones removed from my Xfinity account so I won't be billed for them and only leave on 1 phone that will be billed $12 a month for data service I don't use? 

Am I understanding the changes that are about to be implemented?

I'm in one of the upper  tier plans mostly because of the TV channels I want. And my bill is quite high but I was able to deal with it because I thought I was saving $30 a month on the free mobile service so when I mentally take $30 off my cable bill because of the free phone it makes my cable bill a little easier to take. Now if I have to start to pay for a data service that I don't use it signals to me to start looking around for alternate ways to gain access to TV and internet which I never did before.

Contributor

@Gen1Plan4Ever wrote:

It's great. Last month I was told everyone was being grandfathered in. I figured they would at leasy keep that up for a year. Lost that bet lol. It's still cheaper than verizon prepay so I will stick with them for now.

Fully agree.  Realistically, I knew that they would make this move at some point.  And $12/month for 0-1 gig is still a heckuva a deal.  That said, they lose some goodwill in my book by creating a grandfathered group ("Gen 1"), but not letting it exist for at least a year.  I guess that the glass-half-full view is that a TOS email XM sent me in late September 2019 had me incorrectly believing they were going to be dumping the grandfathering at the end of October 2019, a mere 3 months after it started...so I guess a "6 month surprise" isn't quite as annoying as the "3 month surprise" would've been...

Regular Visitor

Looks like my bill is going up $12 in February. Retired guy on fixed income. All these things count. Social Security went up slightly, but Medicare increases absorbed that.

I'll ride it out for now, but any more increases and I'll go back to Consumer Cellular.

Frequent Visitor

Yes to the $12X3 = $36 + tax a month on the new plan. vs your old being $0 + tax

The new 3GB plan is per device not account I believe so that won’t really help you in this situation.

Valued Contributor

I think the $30 and $60 are family plans and not per line.

Valued Contributor

We need a comcast official to come in and answer these questions.

Bronze Problem Solver

Each by the gig line will be charged minimum of $12

"This data allowance will be eliminated. As a result, all customer accounts with By the Gig lines will pay a minimum of $12/mo associated with those lines. "

Source:

Bronze Problem Solver

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

I think the $30 and $60 are family plans and not per line.

Yes they are, its shared data:

"Choose between three data amounts. Available for single lines, or to share across all By the Gig lines in your account.
1 GB, $12/mo
3 GB, $30/mo
10 GB, $60/mo
"

Source:

Valued Contributor

So if I understand what you are saying I can keep all 3 of my phones/lines and make them shared so that I can pay 1 $12 amount for 1 Gb shared between the 3 lines and I don't have to pay $12 for each line.

Since I just received the announcement email today. How long do you think we have to wait until the Xfinity customer service people get informed of the new rules so that they give the right answers? I usually find that info on the community forum is weeks ahead of the info I get from customer service. It usually takes them a few weeks to get updated with good info.

Bronze Problem Solver

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

So if I understand what you are saying I can keep all 3 of my phones/lines and make them shared so that I can pay 1 $12 amount for 1 Gb shared between the 3 lines and I don't have to pay $12 for each line.

Since I just received the announcement email today. How long do you think we have to wait until the Xfinity customer service people get informed of the new rules so that they give the right answers? I usually find that info on the community forum is weeks ahead of the info I get from customer service. It usually takes them a few weeks to get updated with good info.

Based on the plan change descriptions I quoted from thier web site, then all the phones that are not on the unlimited plan will share the by the gig plan your on. So for your case, if your 3 phones are on the 1 GB for $12/mo plan and your combined data is under 1G,  then your bill would be $12+taxes

Contributor

I used “bait and switch” earlier, but hadn’t realized all the plans were Data plans, so with the free 100MB gone, yeah it will have to be the $12 for 1GB whether you use any Data or not.
This could have actually been Verizon’s call, too.
I never felt guilty that my $1.50 or so bill each month was hurting Comcast. With 3 services from them it seems they were getting plenty of dough to let us emergency cell-users-only get the sparkling deal.
Again, it could have been Verizon’s change, but I sure do hope it remains Verizon under the hood!
Valued Contributor

I agree Comcast has been making plenty for the triple play plans that getting a free phone didn't make me feel guilty. 

I doubt it is a verizon cost. I don't think Comcast would let Verizon have that much control over their customers. Many people will start to look on how to put together a piece meal TV/Internet/Phone service plan and get rid of Comcast and their high costs, especially if you don't use many TV channels and don't use much internet data over your phone. I suspect this move will lose them customers. But I hope it speeds up the skinny bundles or ala carte service so I can lower my bill.

Most Valued Poster

Been with Comcast for over 30 yrs and with Mobile since Jan 2018.  Needed to change service to  reduce monthly costs. Fixed income and ONLY chose them over Consumer Cellular because we do NOT use data and even though we 'had' to buy phones from Comcast the service was free so we switched BUT now its like we are being punished. Not grandfathering those on the shared 100mg plan is just so wrong and a slap in the face.   New mobile customers and those who do use data  will still love $12 a month or $45 for unlimited but why punish the original base? This is a travesty for customer loyalty and we will be looking at Consumer Cellular again.

Contributor

How much is consumer cellular?

Most Valued Poster

@Borgieman wrote:

How much is consumer cellular?

You choose from a menu of what you require. I think $10 is the lowest and even though thats not much less than the $12 at Comcast....its becoming more of the principle of the thing because Comcast is not grandfathering current Mobile customers with shared data.   Bottom line is that they should reward loyal first generation  Mobile customers and leave us on the shared plan. New customers would probably be happy with $12 a gig and the customer base would still grow.

Contributor

Looks to me like its minimum 15 a month.  But not only do you get no data, there is also no texting.  Thats just 250 minutes of voice.

con cell.JPG

Most Valued Poster

@Borgieman wrote:

Looks to me like its minimum 15 a month.  But not only do you get no data, there is also no texting.  Thats just 250 minutes of voice.

con cell.JPG

That looks  alot different than what I looked at in 2018 but that does not surprise me.

Regular Visitor

At the bottom it says "ALL CONNECT PLANS INCLUDE UNLIMITED TEXT"

I used their service for years, and it was fine. I think it used AT&T cell towers in my city.

Still a little more expensive than Xfinity Mobile, but not by much.

Contributor

right, so for 20 bucks you get 250 minutes (8 min a day), 500GB of data, and unlimited text.  Where as xfinity you get unlimited talk and text, and 1GB of data for 12 bucks

Most Valued Poster

@cggo wrote:

@davdri wrote:

Not sure if online anywhere, but received an email today.  There was info about Gen2, but this was at end.  

Two key differences we want to highlight: 

• You may experience temporarily slower data when the LTE network is unusually busy. 

My internet/tv package, "Super Triple Play", has a discount of -$12 for mobile. "Xfinity Mobile Discount 1 Gig of Data on Us"

I am unclear if that will continue or is just until this Gen2 rolls out.  I have to go back and read the fine print of what Super Triple Play includes.

==

Oh boy am I glad to read that you have  the -$12 discount  with the super triple play. Thats what we have and got the discount when we got the 1g modem and they re-bundled everything. I called cust svc about that when my husband 'accidentally' used a little data  and  even though it wasn't much it was enough to push what they call the breakpoint to charge him for 1G. I told them we had the -$12 discount and was told that is discounted in the super triple play bill and has nothing to do with the Mobile bill. It is a very odd setup I must admit. The term they used  "Xfinity Mobile Discount 1 Gig of Data on Us"  is misleading in my opinion since it affects the triple play bill and NOT the Mobile bill.  They said "its a discount so what difference does it make"?  I hung up.

Valued Contributor

@com-forum-apple wrote:

All dissapointment and greed aside, I am hoping/expecting that the 100MB free data can be a non-issue for those of us who keep data turned off and only turn it on when we have WiFi connectivity to the Internet. We'll turn Data on just to check for SMS messages (texts with images) or even really long texts seem to need Data turned on for my iPhone...

My understanding is that if WiFi is on and connected to the internet, the Xfinity data (from Verizon) is not used. Top left of home screen on the phone just shows the WiFi signal image, and if the internet is not available and Verizon Data is being used, LTE or x2 or x3 or even (up here in Yosemite), x1 might show instead of the WiFi signal image.

The 100MB free usage going away is a bummer, though, as it did make for a good buffer!

Sigh

I don't know why iPhone requires your data to be turned on when doing simple things. My phone (Android) has had data turned off since day 1 and I send texts, pictures etc without having to turn the data on. My only monthly data usage even when data is shut off is for about 1 or 2 MB of data when the phone checks in with the home base every night.

Most Valued Poster

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

@com-forum-apple wrote:

Sigh

I don't know why iPhone requires your data to be turned on when doing simple things. My phone (Android) has had data turned off since day 1 and I send texts, pictures etc without having to turn the data on. My only monthly data usage even when data is shut off is for about 1 or 2 MB of data when the phone checks in with the home base every night.

==

I detest the fact that when data is turned on for something just for a minute or two and then someone (hubby that I love dearly) forgets to turn it off ......it continues to rack up data usage even when NOTHING is active and I mean nothing. I made sure nothing is supposed to run in the background on both our phones and yet the data ticker keeps going.  

Contributor

Switch to tracfone.. $40 for 1500 minutes, 1500 text, 3gb of data, good for 365 days..  Card is available on their ebay store.. 

Valued Contributor

So what is the quality of phone calls and the availability of coverage?

Contributor

They allow pretty much any phone as BYOD and you can choose from AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon networks.   I use Verizon and coverage is the same as Xfinity..  Biggest diff would be only T-Mobile allows wifi calling without going through Google Voice.. 

Contributor

Not sure where this reply will pop up, but I’m meaning to reply to someone saying how her/his Android phone doesn’t need Cell Data on for sms images. I just know that for my iPhone, yes an image won’t be sent or received unless Data is turned on. Also, when first at the Comcast place getting Xfinity Mobile the clerk said straight up that iPhones are notorious for using Data all on their own. Like for checking for App or iOS updates and so forth. Just FYI...
Most Valued Poster

@com-forum-apple wrote:
Not sure where this reply will pop up, but I’m meaning to reply to someone saying how her/his Android phone doesn’t need Cell Data on for sms images. I just know that for my iPhone, yes an image won’t be sent or received unless Data is turned on. Also, when first at the Comcast place getting Xfinity Mobile the clerk said straight up that iPhones are notorious for using Data all on their own. Like for checking for App or iOS updates and so forth. Just FYI...

==

Just as a sanity check....my Android phone never needs data turned on to send images with a text message.  WIFI works just fine for that.  

Regular Contributor

it's an Iphone thing about needing data turned on to send and receive MMS messages which is a moot point come Feb when I finally turn on my data to see what little I really use. Then it will be a matter of keeping it under a gig instead of 100 mb, as long asI am being charged for it i will try to use as close as I can. I don'tconsider myself as a sheeple but protesting this is like shovleing poop against the tide and tilting against windmills. If and when I find a better deal in Cell price and service i will probably move on.

Most Valued Poster

@davdri wrote:

it's an Iphone thing about needing data turned on to send and receive MMS messages which is a moot point come Feb when I finally turn on my data to see what little I really use. Then it will be a matter of keeping it under a gig instead of 100 mb, as long asI am being charged for it i will try to use as close as I can. I don'tconsider myself as a sheeple but protesting this is like shovleing poop against the tide and tilting against windmills. If and when I find a better deal in Cell price and service i will probably move on.

===

You go davdri! That made my day. I love it!

Valued Contributor

Well I will be keeping my data turned off b/c the only thing worse than paying $12 for data I don't use is paying $24 because I went over the 1 Gb limit. I will only use the data with a critical need.

If you find a good deal with high quality reception pls post it or send me a PM. Thanks

Valued Contributor

Well, it was a good deal for 2+ years while it lasted. I bought 2 of those $1 LG phones (one in use, one backup) when XM was rolling out, and my monthly bills for 2 lines have been around $3 (-$6.59 this month due to unknown credit). After 2 years the one that has been in use cannot hold charge for long even in standby mode. Given the lack of affordable upgrade path, and the dropping of free 100MB data, time to move on.

I want to add to the tracfone discussion for anyone considering alternatives. I've been with tracfone for over 10 years and my main phone is a BYOD sim-free iPhone with tracfone sim card I bought from Best Buy for $1. There is no physical store in the US; all customer service is done by phone. Some of the phone centers are located outside of the US, so getting service can be an issue if you run into problems. Depending on the type of phone/sim card you use, you can be on any of the big-4 networks. My understanding is the deal OP posted on ebay is for a new line (number). For an existing line, check out the prices on tracfone website. Note that there are always coupons out there to sweeten the deals.

Contributor

The $39 ebay card can be used for existing lines as well as new..  I have used three this year.. 

Valued Contributor

Awesome. It says it's "365 DAY PLAN". Did it extend your activation for 3 years if you have used three this year? If so, that's a really good deal for $49.99, because I usually get the one-year activation card from tracfone's own site that costs $125.

@bigbw1 wrote:

The $39 ebay card can be used for existing lines as well as new..  I have used three this year.. 

Contributor

Yes, each card extended service for 1 year..  I paid 49 for 1, 39 for 1, and got one from a friend for 25.. They appear to be $49 now..

Valued Contributor

I looked at the numbers and going to a pay as you go system that charges for each text, which I use a lot, and phone calls by the minute doesn't look like it would save me enough  money, if any, to make it worth while.

I do notice that although the data counter in the Xfin Mobile app is now set to 0 and counting every kilobyte of data that the labels that I am in Gen one and that each month starts with 100MB of free data are still in the app. I wish when any company makes a change of service that they change the info before they turn on the meter that charges us money. It would be refreshing.