Community Forum

100MB free + $12 per gig confusion

Most Valued Poster

Re: 100MB free + $12 per gig confusion

I think we have that meter already. On the LG X charge our mobile data numbers are measured 2 digits past the decimel and broken down by the app that is using the mobile data.

Contributor

Yes, the iPhone also has a MB data counter (to the nearest tenth). But what matters (according to this thread) is what Xfinity shows on their data counter — and that counter only indicates GBs. My phone shows 10.1 MB used, Xfinity shows 0.1 GB used! Funny math.

Most Valued Poster

I thought we went through that before. Xfinity sees anything less than 100MB as 100MB at the end of the billing period. I thought they just round up to that number.

New Poster

@-Mike wrote:

Thanks, KenF. Hopefully that will settle things, and hopefully you can get a quicker response from Tier 2 than some other folks around here Smiley Wink

I'm still convinced that the evidence shows that Xfinity is billing based upon actual usage and not adding the rounded totals for each phone. When Xfinity showed a total of 0.4 for phones of 0.3 + 0.1 + 0.1 it wasn't due to the 100MB free. You can see this if you watch your billing carefully. The overall total does not simply equal the sum of the rounded totals for each phone. The overall total could change from 0.4 to 0.5 while each phone still reports 0.3, 0.1, and 0.1.

Here are some examples of what I've seen reported by Xfinity during the month:

• Overall total = 0.1GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.1GB, bill = $0 (I assume actual usage 0-100MB, each phone < 100MB )
  • Overall total = 0.2GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.1GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 100-200MB, each phone < 100MB )
  • Overall total = 0.2GB, phone 1 = 0.1GB, phone 2 = 0.2GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 100-200MB, phone 2 > 100MB )
  • Overall total = 1.1GB, phone 1 = 0.4GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 1000-1100MB )
  • Overall total = 1.1GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $12 (I assume actual usage 1000-1100MB, phone 1 > 400MB )
  • Overall total = 1.2GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.7GB, bill = $24 (I assume actual usage 1100-1200MB )
  • Overall total = 1.2GB, phone 1 = 0.5GB, phone 2 = 0.8GB, bill = $24 (I assume actual usage 1100-1200MB, phone 2 > 700MB )

You can see that the billing jumps from 0 to $12 when the overall total crosses from 0.1 to 0.2GB, which does not correspond with any change in the reported rounded totals for each phone. They must be adding up the actual usage of each phone and using that to determine the total usage. You can also see that the billing jumps from $12 to $24 when the overall total crosses from 1.1GB to 1.2GB, which does not correspond with any change in the reported rounded totals for each phone.

I just had the case where each device is 0MB as of the recent system updates, but still get billed $12.  It seems to me that there is a disconnect between the programers and the backend billing folks on the software requirments needed for this situation.  There needs to be a more precise billing data total.  I plan to have 3 ultra low data usage devices and its really hard to trakc data usage total when no total is reported and only 100MB usage precision.  In all honestly the marketing for this 100MB around last year was very misleading on this and for how the software reports the usage it leads one to believe that each device had 100MB.  This has since been clarfiied, but albeit a bit irritating.

Contributor

@sdrisners wrote: "There needs to be a more precise billing data total."

Yes! We need higher resolution, especially for us low data users.

Contributor

The word "confusion" in the title of this thread is very appropriate.  However, one has to admit that "by the Gig" plan also provides flexibility.

In our case we were able to remain under that 100mb of data usage for the first 6 months or so, then we were correctly charged $12 for excess usage during a billing cycle.  Unfortunately that $12 stubbornly stuck to subsequent cycles  even though cellular data was set to OFF.  An XM rep credited back those charges (you gotta hand it to them).

We decided to no longer monitor and limit usage to this narrow  band of 100mb.  Cellular data usage less than 1 gig per cycle is easier to monitor, and $12/mo for 3 lines with unlimited talk and text is a heck of a good deal.

Dear Xfinity, We like your cellular service and are now paying you that extra $12/mo, and slowly navigating towards ”Unlimited".  We also like your Internet and Home. The Voice land line controled by scammers is a big nuisance.  As far TV cord cutting,  not yet.     Overall, ****

New Poster

You will be charged another $12 once you go past 1.1gb
New Poster

You will be charged again after 1.1 gb
New Poster

I have had XM for a year now and the only time I’ve been charged for a second gig was when I went past the 1.1 gb mark
Contributor

I also agree that there needs to be a more precise billing data total, Xfinity has this info and I don't understand why it would be so hard to tie this to your online account like every other major carrier.

Maybe someday.