Community Forum

Android Home App won't open login screen

Regular Visitor

Android Home App won't open login screen

Just had Xfinity Home installed. Have a weird problem with the Android App on my Samsung Galaxy S8.  When I start the Home App, I get the initial screen which has a "Sign In" button and "Take a Tour" text.

Pressing Take a Tour works just fine. However, pressing the Sign In button does nothing. The App just sits there rolling through it's various background screens. I've uninstalled/reinstalled about a half dozen times with no improvement.

I don't have a problem logging into my account by browser (although Vivaldi is not recognized by the Home website).

I also tried this on my wife's S8 (exact same phone as mine, same rev level, etc. Of course user settings are different) and it works fine on her phone. The tech installing our system said he'd never heard of this problem.

I did open a chat session which took over an hour to get the problem escalated and am waiting to hear back from them. Thought I'd post here to see if anyone else had seen this problem. Tnx

Official Employee

Re: Android Home App won't open login screen

dlr717 -- Thanks for reaching out. Can you please try a few troubleshooting steps?

Clearing app cache/app data for the Xfinity Home app

Settings > Apps > Tap Xfinity Home app > Storage > CLEAR CACHE
Settings > Apps > Tap Xfinity Home app > Storage > CLEAR DATA > DELETE

Can you confirm the default Browser app you are using? You can check this by navigating to --

Settings > Apps > Tap the three dots in the top right > Default Apps

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response.

I've tried clearing cache and data a number of times. I've tested this with the following browsers as the default; DuckDuckGo, Samsung Internet, Opera and Chrome. The symptom persists with all of them. Any other ideas and I'd be happy to try them.

Highlighted
Official Employee

dlr717 -- We recently released an app update.  Can you please try updating & let me know if this helps?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd already updated to that version, 10.6.5.  It doesn't help.

Regular Visitor

BTW, I do have an open escalation ticket on this issue and have spent a couple of hours on the phone with some of the support staff.

Official Employee

dlr717 -- Thanks for the additional information -- I'm also working with engineering on my end to look into this one.  In your first post you say "pressing the Sign In button does nothing. The App just sits there rolling through it's various background screens" -- was wondering if you can clarify any more about this, when you click Sign In - does the view appear to close and re-open? 

Also, was wondering if you had tried signing into any other Xfinity apps (My Account, for example) & if you are successfull when doing so using the device experiencing the issue with the Xfinity Home app?

Regular Visitor

Hi again, Rachel

Well, what I meant was that once the app opens, touching the Sign In button does nothing, nada. The button doesn't change, the app stays right on whatever image it was on, etc. Nothing happens. I can flip through the background images, activate the Tour, etc. The only thing that doesn't work is the Sign In button. I can log into the Xfinity site on this phone (that is currently how I'm getting to the control screen) using either Chrome or the DuckDuckGo browser. These work fine other than the fact that the "Automation" feature doesn't work on the website. Nothing else on the phone has a problem. My wife has exactly the same phone, same rev levels of everything and the Sign In button works on hers. I've checked all the settings I can think of but nothing appears to help.

Official Employee

dlr717 -- Thank you for the additional info.  I have relayed all of this to engineering & am working with them directly to troubleshoot.  

Assuming you may have tried this already - but could you try rebooting your S8?  Also, did you have a chance to try signing into the Xfinity My Account app with your S8?  Are you successful there?

Regular Visitor

Hey Rachel,

I hadn't tried rebooting, but have now and it doesn't help. I had also not used the My Account App as I normally have been using either Chrome or DuckDuckGo browsers to directly login to the Home web site. I installed My Account App and got the following behavior. On startup it opens to a screen with a "Get Started" button. Pressing this button brings up a screen which says "Enable Web Browser to Continue". There is no explanation of what is meant by "enable" a web browser and the only control on this screen is a "Back" button which returns to the previous screen. 

I have Opera, Chrome and DuckDuckGo browsers installed on the phone. I've tried setting the default browser to both Chrome and DuckDuckGo (as they both work with the web site) to no avail. I cannot get past the "Enable" screen. 

Just exactly what, then, do they mean by "enable"? A little unclear. Thanks

Regular Visitor

Hi Rachel,

It's been a couple of days since I sent the info about the behavior of the Xfinity My Account App and was wondering if there had been any further development on this problem. It seemed as if the problem the account app was having finding an "enabled" browser might be related to the behavior of the Home app, perhaps.

Thanks

Official Employee

dlr717 – Thank you for reaching out again & my apologies for the delay. I'm continuing to work with engineering to troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing.

Based on all of the information you have relayed to us so far – we believe that the issue is likely related to your specific device. In an effort to try and get this resolved for you quickly, one option engineering has suggested is to factory reset the device. We realize you may be hesitant to do so & knowing that, I want to let you know that we are continuing to try and troubleshoot this on our end. To do so, we'd like to add additional logging into the app to capture more information that will help us understand what is happening. Doing this would take a bit longer.

Please let me know what you think!

Regular Visitor

Hi Rachael, no problem on delay, I was just curious and thought I'd check in. 

You seem to have two requests/suggestions. I agree that this is probably something about my phone. However, I'd like to take the factory reset under advisement for a couple of days so I can figure out how much of a disaster that might be. I'm in the middle of a couple of network rebuilds so am a little busy. Your other comment related to additional tracking in the App(s) which I assume would require me to download and install some test versions? If so please let me know what you need me to do and I'll get to it as soon as possible. FYI, the problem is not causing me any great issue so absolute speed isn't a factor. Thanks again, Dave

BTW, did the engineering guys have any comments about the My Account App enabled browser issue?

Regular Visitor

Hi Rachel,

Ok, I solved the problem. The tip came from the error screen I was getting from the My Account app. It was odd that the app thought no browsers were available, so I decided to uninstall Opera and Duckduckgo in the possibility that something may have gone wrong in their installation.

That did the trick. The two Xfinity apps began to function properly. I have reinstalled DuckDuckGo and everything still runs fine. Must have been some glitch.

Thanks for your help.

Official Employee

Hi Dave / dlr717 --

So glad to hear that the XH app is now working for you.  My apologies again for the frustration.   I will relay all of this to engineering & get everything closed out on our end.  Please let me know if you need any troubleshooting help in the future!

Rachel

New Poster

I have had the same issue since 26 March 19.  My Samsung S8 phone sudenly decided to not open and deliver a message  "unable to connect to server, try again later."   I can send and receive, but can't open. I spent over an hour with tech support without resolve.  Said they work on it and get back--still waiting.   The strange thing is that I have samsung tablet ; same set up and works fine.  

New Poster

I started having this problem a couple of months ago. I have 2 Samsung Galaxy s7 devices and a Samsung Galaxy s6 device. The Xfinity Home app works on my s6 and one of my s7 devices. My main personal s7 device has an issue where it is asking to install a browser. I have tried everything. Restarted the phone, uninstalled chrome and re-updated it, uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I am out of options on that phone.