Community Forum

xfinity connect app will not open emails

Contributor

Re: xfinity connect app will not open emails

Found restrict background data on my galaxy s5. In settigs, applications. Application manager. Find xfinity connect and go to "data usage". Check box for restricting background data is on that page.
Regular Contributor

Burrito you’re welcome.

Philipj: Sorry but didn’t quite understand your last post. Were you saying that restrict background data for the app was already enabled or that the box was already checked or were you simply saying you found where the setting was located ? If it was the latter did you enable restriction and if so did it help? Thx
Contributor

Idinpa, It was not enabled, box was not checked. I checked it. Only opened a couple of emails and no problem. Will see how it works in the morning. Will give feedback later. Thanks for the explanation.
Regular Contributor

Got it. Hope it works for you.
Contributor

Is that all you have hire someone to fix it
Contributor

Idinpa, I still have the problem. That fix didn't seem to help. Thanks for the suggestion.
Regular Contributor

Philipj, really sorry to hear that. Who knows maybe one of these years Xfinity will actually push out a permanent fix to the app. The only reason I didn’t delete it months ago was due to the phone features in the app since I also have phone service with Xfinity. Then I found the temp fix and was back in business. I assume you already did the obvious stuff like clearing your browser cache history, reinstalling the app etc. if not that’s the only other thing I would suggest.
Contributor

Same here i have both phones too . Just wanted to thank you for all your time trying to help ppl and mr thanks for your kindness. Xfinity should be paying you . Thanks again
Regular Contributor

You’re welcome burrito. I do what I can to try and help other users experiencing the same problems I encounter.
Contributor

I’m sorry I sound like a creep sometimes but it gets me so irritated.i could use the Apple mail like you said but I’m like you I have phone too and I teach guitar and I need it for messages on my home phone.
Regular Contributor

Burrito I don’t think you sound like a creep LOL! You sound like someone extremely frustrated that the Xfinity app has not worked the way it’s supposed to for going on a year now and the app owner has done nothing to fix it. Your frustration is justified. I felt exactly the same. For whatever reason turning that one switch off for me has worked. Had it not been for that I would have likely deleted the app by now and went back to using the Apple native mail app. So you’re using an iPhone and the temp fix I posted of turning off background refresh for the app did not work for you ?
Contributor

Here’s what mine looks like on 7 s
04E917D5-8D80-40F3-B65A-FC84283C4AE7.png
Contributor

Did I turn off the right app or the connect app
Contributor

Or this
D348ED29-B7DA-4CBF-923F-2BCC28E46971.png
Contributor

I also like the app because of the connection to my xfinity landline.  I am putting up with some inconvenience with email but hoping a solution is on the horizon.  I have been working on this for months and created the original post on this thread awhile ago. I think I have seen some improvement after trying many solutions.  Good to see many others have joined in with very similar issues.  I escalated this as high as I could and finally got feedback that this is a known issue.  They are working on it!  I am so surprised that there has been very little feedback from comcast tech support to contribute some updated info to this thread.  I think they are just ignoring us!  Very disappointed that they don't say something to shed some light on what they are planning. 

Regular Contributor

Burrito, yes it looks like you turned off background refresh for the correct app (Xfinity connect). After reinstalling the app with no succes that’s all I did to make my email start working correctly again. I’m using iPhone 7. If that did not work for you I’m afraid I’m out of ideas other than using the Apple email app.
Contributor

It’s good ty you are a kind person and the world needs more of you first I turned the whole refresh app off at the post above that . Haha thank you . I can’t believe they don’t fix it . Funny part my cousin who has the same name as me is Comcast VP in Phila.
Regular Contributor

Philipj, like you I’m also surprised that a Comcast rep has not provided any kind of status update in this thread. At a minimum they owe us a commit date on a fix. In PMs I traded with one of the reps early on she indicated that they thought the problem was to have been resolved in their last app update like a month ago or whenever that was but obviously that wasn’t the case. My guess is they went back to the drawing board after that which means they likely have no clue how to fix it. I originally throught the problem was a conflict with an Apple software update last fall because that’s when this problem started for me but given you’ve seen the same issues on your android device it looks like I was wrong on that.
Regular Contributor

Well Burrito if your cousin is a Comcast VP and you can’t get them to fix this then we’re all in trouble LOL!
Contributor

Oh I havnt spoken to him yet but I will believe me. Havnt seen him in years. I will be talking to him shortly for everyone. Thanks again.
New Poster

Can’t open emails I keep getting the message ERROR no network could be detected (102002)
Contributor

We all are Gigi they’ll tell ya to reboot I call everyday they just care about your money. If you look up this thread a ways a kind person offered a few temp fixes . You pay money I would call them everyday I do look for
Contributor

Look for Idinpa’s temp fixes they might help ya .
Regular Contributor

gigi16: I was getting that error among other issues like mail stalling out forever when refreshing. As Burrito indicated I posted a temp fix previously in this thread that has worked for me but not everyone. You can give it a shot and see if it helps you. Basically the fix is to turn OFF background refresh for the connect app in your device settings. If needed you’ll find more detailed instructions on how to do that in my previous posts in this thread. Good luck!
Contributor

Idinpa
I had done that fix about a month ago. Everything was working fine..... until now. The app has reverted back to the same problems. Can’t help but think Comcast somehow got their inexperienced hands on it and voila!
Contributor

Yes it’s come down to turning my phone off and on again to load an email. Not the way a company should conduct themselves. Sure they prob read your fix and said oh no. I had a tech hang up on me about my TV. Do they hire Americans because I can’t understand any of them and I’m far from racist. I don’t care if your Martian if your doing your job. You helped more ppl they they ever have my friend and I thank you for that and your unwavering kindness to others. I’m sorry I get so frustrated. When you been with a company since 1986 you expect more than just being $ “ cha- Ching in thier eyes. Again thanks
New Poster

@comcastella:

How do I stop receiving emails when someone replies to this thread?

Regular Contributor

tomanynames: sorry to hear that. Knock on wood is still seems to be working for me but I won’t hold my breath. Just unbelievable Comcast cannot fix this yet 😡

cfichot: to stop receiving emails on this or any other post in the forum go to your forum profile, click on subscriptions and you’ll see all the posts you’re being copied on. From there you have the option to select / delete from subscription. Good luck!

:
New Poster

Are you saying that clearing cache on the computer helps to resolve the email issue on the cell phone?
Regular Visitor

Been having e mail problems on cell phone works for a day than quits get no reply from Comcast and I seen a lot of the same problem going on for a long time,is there a fix or not!

Regular Visitor

Finally got it to work i had to do a hard reset since i've done that everthing has been fine emails opening no more endless spinning!

New Poster

I have been having same problem and it’s very annoying!
New Poster

I have had problems with this for 2 months.  Many calls to the "advanced help group."  Yeah, sure.  The thing that galls me is that they KNOW they can't help you fix this problem -- it's inherent in the app and they are the only ones who can fix it.  But they waltz you through hours of "try this" and "try that" when they KNOW these fruitless steps will not fix the problem.  I think it's a big scam and they are taking our money and not providing the service.  Call the cops!!!!  Time for a class action suit against Comcast for taking money under false pretenses!!

Metromom

Regular Contributor

Since turning off the background refresh switch for this app well over a month ago as I described early on in this thread the connect app has worked perfectly for me, exactly as it’s supposed to work. This fix has also worked for others but only for a short time in some cases. While it’s only a temporary fix for me I think it does provide Comcast with a clue as to where the real problem resides within their app and why they do not use the info I’ve provided them to investigate and finally fix their app is totally beyond me at this point since this problem started well over 7 months ago now. It’s obvious to me at this point that they could honestly care less. Since we basically do not pay a discrete cost for their email service AND you do not actually need the Xfinity connect app to use Comcast email I’m convinced this is why a fix for the connect app is at the very bottom of their priority list. File it under sad but true ☹️
New Poster

File it under "mad as heck"!

metromom

Regular Contributor

Metromom: yes and that too LOL!
New Poster

I too have the same problem, have to shut down and reopen my iphone 6s! I thought it was my phone because it is older, but......
Regular Visitor

THIS IS THE FIX PEOPLE.  Stop using that krappe app comcast is using and move to gmail  GMAIL actually works!

Regular Contributor

OR..... you could just set up your Comcast mail account on the native mail app that comes already loaded on your mobile device 😉. I think there’s a misconception by some that you must have the Xfinity connect app in order to have Comcast email on your mobile device which isn’t the case at all. I used the native Apple mail app for my comcast email on my iPhone for years before I downloaded and started using the Xfinity connect app. When using the native Apple mail app I never had one problem with my comcast email. That said, when the connect app is working like it’s supposed to it’s more convenient to use and it also includes voice features which is nice if you have digital voice with Comcast.
Contributor

Or better yet call the SOB’s everyday your paying for something it should work almost a year now. My analogy if I bought someone off someone paying monthly if it stopped workin would I still pay that person. I call every day. Some ppl can’t switch to g mail this ha been thier e mail for a long time
Regular Visitor

I mean add comcast email to your gmail account and mirror the two.  I can now use my gmail app to see my comcast email.  The last major comcast email update last year hosed me and many others from being able to see email on our phones.  I'm tired of reading the first 1/2 sentence and having to open webmail online to see the entire email.  I will now slowly migrate away from comcast email altogether sticking with my gmail as the main email now.  Calling comcast to troubleshoot is a waste of time but go ahead and feel free if you have nothing to do for days on end.

Regular Contributor

Yes you could do that too LOL! I just wouldn’t put myself through that much grief with them though plus I wouldn’t have the time. As we’ve discussed in several other posts since you dont pay for the app and you don’t actually need the app to have Comcast email on your phone I’m convinced that’s why they’re giving this issue no priority. Fortunately for me my temp fix of simply turning off background refresh for the app has worked perfectly for several months running now. I only wished it would have worked for all of the others who posted here ☹️
Regular Contributor

PMC: Gotcha! I’m not familiar with the gmail app but I understand what you mean. As stated previously for years I used the Apple mail app on my iPhone, added the Comcast email account and it worked flawlessly. The problem though is you had to manage the mail in 2 places, on the phone and then on the PC as the they would not sync up. Using the connect app solved that problem which is the main reason I installed the app. It worked perfect for over a year then as you stated it fell apart last year. I was about ready to delete the app and add my account back to the Apple mail app but then I figured out by turning off background refresh on the app all of my issues went away. No more endless error messages and constant spinning when trying to refresh mail. That same fix worked for several others as well for a short time but then they posted that the problems returned. Knock on wood mine is still holding strong after several months. Having said all of that the fact that Comcast has done nothing to fix this yet after at least 8 months of constant reported problems is far beyond unacceptable at this point. For a while 1 or 2 of the Comcast mods would jump in and out of these threads offering to help people but they don’t even bother doing that anymore. I think that’s because there’s really nothing they can do. If this was a fix at the account level they could probably help but the problem here is the app itself which will require a fix by their development team I’m sure and since this app generates no revenue they probably don’t want to use the resource to fix it. That’s the only explanation that makes sense to me after all this time ☹️
Contributor

Idinpa you have done more for people with this problem than Comcast as I said before for that thank you. I just am so irritated I’m still paying a lot of mone of course not just for the app but I’m at the point where I can’t afford to change my email. I will call them everyday till either they take money off my bill . I suggest everyone else with th problem does the same . Don’t let this billion dollar company take your money and treat you like you don’t matter.Thanks for your kindness Ipinpa
Regular Contributor

Burrito, completely understand the irritation and I hope you get some satisfaction by calling them in the way of a reduction on your bill. I wish you the best of luck but the reality is these folks practically have a monopoly on the business and unless the issue is a flat out service outage they pretty much don’t care. It used to be you could tell them you were gonna drop their service and go elsewhere and they would fight tooth and nail to keep you as a customer. Now they just say sorry to hear that and adios. At least that’s been my experience after being with Comcast for over 20 years now.

What needs to happen here is one of the Xfinity mods who monitors this forum needs to take REAL ownership of this issue and escalate it to their engineering and development management team to demand a fix to these problems. The Xfinity moderator should then come back here to the forum and post regular updates telling all of us what’s being done to correct the problem including a target date on when the fix will be released through another update to the app.

The mods previous approach of asking individuals for their account details so they could look in to the problem was useless because the problem is not at the individual user account level. The problem is the App itself. Hopefully a caring moderator will see this post and take it upon themselves to take REAL ownership of this problem for all of us and escalate it to someone who can and will actually fix it.
New Poster

I am experiencing the exact same problem. What is Xfinity saying?
Regular Visitor

Nothing they don’t reply
Contributor

I just called again they said there’s a problem they are fixing . Of course I said “for a year!?” We promised we are working on it. I said “ do you ever check the Forum”, they were acting like it was just me . I said “there’s thousand and I will call everyday till you fix it” Then I tell them if I bought something and was paying monthly for it and it didn’t work would I keep paying them? Would you?” Of course they must say no or sound foolish. I told them this is a personal thing peoples email and it’s minor to your money making you either have stupid techs , or you just don’t care about people’s emails and I doubt you have stupid techs in a billion dollar country wide business you just don’t care about the people. If I miss a payment you wanna shut me down. Well besides calling everyday I sending $20 less a month and call everyday till it’s fixed. This is not a thing they put a high priority on fixing. Thier Tv,Internet and Phone mean more. One little app the can care less. I said that to them they keep saying it’s almost fixed. I said it’s been almost a year. Maybe if everybody called everyday and complained maybe they’ll fix it. They are getting they’re money they could care about some little app that means so much to so many people
Regular Visitor

I agree with all your saying I’m deleting their app and sticking with apple app Done with xfinity
Regular Contributor

Burrito, in addition to calling them repeatedly it might also help to leave negative reviews about the problems in the App Store. This gives ample warning to users before they download an app that does not function properly and the Xfinity people may pay more attention to the app reviews since they likely get more visibility than this forum does. Anything to keep the pressure on 😉