Community Forum

xfinity connect app will not open emails

Regular Contributor

Re: xfinity connect app will not open emails

same thing for me -2 days now ????????????????

New Poster

You would think with all the problems members are having with Xfinity Connect APP that xfinity support would fix there app. especially since your not the only one having the problem so there is nothing wrong with anyone account its the APP and Xfinity needs to fix it. i been having the exact same problems.. it was working fine then all of a sudden wouldnt load any emails keep getting the spinning icon trying to load the email. then recently just started working fine for the last week now once again the connect app wont load any emails again which started yesterday again 1-26-18.

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problems with my Windows 10 desktop using Chrome and trying to acess email with the Xfinity website. Using the Xfinity Connect Android app today shows no new messages since November 2017. 

New Poster

I've had the same problem since Oct 2017.  I was told no one else reported the problem.  Like you the response has been to reinstall the app, and it only works for a few minutes. Most folks I've talked with said it might be a conflict with another app.  In early January, I got a standard email from Xfinity/comcast that they had a patch for a connectivity problem, but that didn't help  Have you found the cause?  Thanks very much.

New Poster

This app socks - iPhone 6S (AT&T); iPhone 7 (Comcast); Galazy S7 (Comcast) - same exact experience as everyone else has. No email updates; unable to connect - doesn't matter if they are on wifi, LTE, 4G.  sometimes, simply closing and reopening the app helps, but usually the only fix is rebooting the phones - Trust me, Xfinity does not give a bleep if the app works or not - - - all they want is your money. The app is free - not skin off theie nose if you don't use it.

New Poster

I have the same problem. After restarting my phone, and re-installing the app, now it says the server is not responding and won't load my email at all. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Contributor

I have the same problem and have complained numerous times over the last several months
New Poster

Mine is doing the same legit have to power down to get new emails and update to delete
Regular Visitor

Having the exact same issue since the update. Repeatedly either turn off and back on my iPhone or iPad or uninstall and reinstall the app and the emails will now load but within a day - it happens again - this has been going on since the update in October -can’t believe Comcast hasn’t fixed this 

Regular Visitor

Well if has gone from bad to worse - both my iPhone and iPad are stuck in the spinning wheel mode - this is the first  time,however, that either and/or

@ wrote:

philipj, have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the app?

both actions of turning off my device(s) or uninstalling / reinstalling the Xfinity Connect App did not temporarily “fix” loading my  email messages. And it is also now not working when accessing my account online ( not using the Xfinity connect app). FIX THIS COMCAST!!!!!! I have no issues with other apps after the IOS upgrades although now there may simply be something wrong with the Xfinity email system - not just when using the connect app.

Frequent Visitor

Same as everyone else... This app blows. It never loads emails. It is completely useless... which in turn makes my Comcast service useless. If I can't have email on my phone... There is no point to it. It appears Comcast doesn't care as this is an ongoing issue. I think it is a Comcast email server issue. My desktop and laptop sometimes take forever also but the app always does. Comcast needs to fix this problem or we will be leaving Comcast completely (phone, internet, and cable) and I think many others will as well. Time to fix these server issues.
Contributor

Back to issues on my email access using Chrome browser.  Always a dfferent problem. Today I can't download message content.  See error message screenshot.

2018-02-15 (2).png
Contributor

Tried to open emails using Microsoft Edge and got a slightly different error message.  Clearly an issue with the server.

2018-02-15 (3).png
New Poster

Is there any reason Comcast can’t fix this issue? Is it stuck with tech support in India or the Phillipined or wherever or is it actually being escalated to someone who knows how to solve issues and not just to tell you to restart your phone or reinstall the app?
New Poster

This is happening to. E right now. It’s been going on for two days. What do I do???
Regular Visitor

I am extremely frustrated by this intermittent problem where the wheel spins when I go to open my email and says that I do not have Internet. I clearly do as my other apps all work fine. When it finally lets me in, I can see the emails, but can’t open them. In addition, all deleted emails come back, so I have a ridiculous number (in the thousands)
all of the time!
Contributor

Just received email, text below.  I would guess this is part of the solution to our intermittent problems.  About time it's being addressed. They have probably been working in this transition for quite awhile.

"We have been migrating to a new email server platform designed to provide you a better, more reliable experience. Unfortunately, as part of the transition, some of our customers might have experienced interruptions to their email service over the past week.

If you experienced any interruptions to your Xfinity email service, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. We know you rely on access to your email, and any time without it can be frustrating. We are just about complete with our migration and expect our customers to have a better experience with the new platform.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to make improvements to bring you better service and, as always, thank you for your business and for choosing Xfinity.

Sincerely,
Noam Raffaelli
Senior Vice President, Network & Communications Engineering'
New Poster

It's February 21 2017 and I have the same problem every day.

New Poster

February 21 2018 not 2017 ... Still a problem

Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue you are not alone seems comcast cannot fix this issue its happening on my new mate 10 they opened a ticket for me on this issue no response back yet from higher tech department.

New Poster

Yes, the fact that this issue has persisted since late 2017 and many customers have been reporting it --and it still continues is very frustrating.  A few Xfinity Connect App updates were released with notes indicating they were fixing bugs which included email retrieval errors, server connection failures, and an issue which forced users to continually log-out and back into the app in order to actually retrieve/read new emails which were already populating their inbox.

Summary:  You log into the Xfinity Connect App (in my case on an iPhone 6 with the latest IOS; AT&T cellular or any wifi connection active) and read some emails.  Functionality during that process is fine.  You move onto other functions or put your phone away while leaving the app running in the background.  The app properly notifies you of Xfinity Voice2Go calls transfering from your home onto your cell and you process those fine.  The app properly notifies you of incoming emails with a banner screen on your home screen.  The banner includes the sender and brief subject/body text giving you an indication what the email is about.  You then go back into the app to view your inbox and the new email(s) are displayed there.  You tap on one of the new emails and it opens the email, but you only get the header (to, from, date/time, subject) and the remainder of the screen is a blank white with a circle in the center which is refreshing trying to retrieve the full email.  Retrieval either continues to attempt, or fails with a couple of different error messages.  One such message instructs you to log out of the app and log back in to retrieve new emails as a failure to connect to the server has occurred.  You can go back out of that email and into your inbox and open other emails which were previously received, but any of the newer emails received after your app went into in the background refresh mode fail like this one I mentioned above.  The app will continue to receive new emails, notify you, and display them in the inbox.  But, you will experience the same errors when trying to open any such newer emails.  Your only option is to go to settings and logout.  Then double-push your home button to view running apps and slide the Xfinity Connect app up to force-close it from the open/background apps.  Then relaunch it, fully log into it again, and all is good; until you move out of viewing it again and go onto other things.  Then the cycle repeats itself again.  This happens all day, night, and every day/night (for the past many months).  Many phone calls to Xfinity Support have yielded the typical ABC steps of uninstall the app and reinstall it, then try this and that.  I am somewhat IT savvy and have tried all that already prior to calling support.  I have deleted and reinstalled this app and updated it a multitude of times throughout the past several months.  The issue still persists and this is beyond frustrating.  Support personnel keep telling me this is a priority and the engineers are working on it.  I find blogs/forums like this one with many Xfinity customers complaining about the same exact issue (and even on other platforms such as Android, iPad, etc.).  Someone at Xfinity please escalate this to the appropriate level to either resolve the issue or replace the app with one that returns to the original functionality that did not include this issue...  Thank you for reading...

Regular Visitor

Same problem, forever seeing the spinning wheel and lack of a message. Emails come across my laptop without any problem but may have to wait up to 2 days for them to appear on my android. I have partially solved the problem (not really a fix) by disconnecting the android from my server and reinstalling my password. All messages come thru immediately. I dont understand why this should happen, and its no fun having to do this every time you want your emails downloaded as opposed to staring at that spinning wheel until timeout. I will look into this further. 

Contributor

Been there and have done all that. Comcast says they are working on it. Been hearing that for months now. Why would we trust them with their home security app?????
Regular Contributor

For all of those iPhone / iPad users struggling with this issue I may have found a fix or at least it seems to be working for me anyway. Try this and see if it works for you.

Go in to your device settings. Find the Xfinity connect app in settings. Open those settings up and TURN OFF “Background App refresh” I’ll post a screenshot of the settings page for info.

I was concerned turning this off would also stop mail from arriving but I’m still getting mail without having to open the app and refresh manually. Obviously this is not a permanent fix as you should not have to turn this switch off but maybe this action will better help the Comcast app development team pin point the exact problem with the app.

Good luck all !
79CE2714-114B-4CA0-A53B-1A0EAE9810CA.png
Contributor

Same thing for seven months . If everyone calls and complains everyday like I do they might fix it plus they still charge you. If I bought something of someone and payed monthly and it didn’t work right would you keep paying
New Poster

I know. It is so frustrating. I just have learned to resign back in and then works for awhile.
New Poster

Do they not look at all of these e-mails complaining about the same thing.
Contributor

Sorry I had to turn my phone off to get this email then wait till it connected . I’m sorry too that I pay you $257 a month for a broken piece of junk
Contributor

Why. Should you have to you pay money for it to work right
Contributor

We pay good money for this. If you bought something and we’re paying monthly and it stopped working would you continue to pay?. I call them everyday about this maybe if we all did we might get it working. Thanks for the screenshot it is appreciated but we shouldn’t have to do it. We pay for it to work right
Contributor

Thanks for screenshot but we pay for this to work. I call them everyday. They have no clue if we all called maybe they would fix it
Regular Contributor

Well for all intent purposes it is fixed for me. Since I turned off the background refresh switch in settings it’s been working perfectly fine for me (almost a month now). No need to constantly sign in and out either like the other poster mentioned. While it’s not a permanent fix it’s as close to fix as we’re going to get I’m afraid. It’s obvious to me that if this was a priority to comcast they would have fixed it long ago. Not the answer any of us would like to hear I know but that’s the reality I’m afraid.
Contributor

That’s fine and thanks for the help I pay a lot of money and I been on Comcast since 88
Regular Contributor

Yep I can relate. Been a customer myself since 85 and like you my bill is well over $200. I’ve learned to pick and chose my battles with them. After I found a temp fix for this issue myself I moved on. Who knows when or if they’ll fix this app permanently
New Poster

I have been to Verizon six times to resolve the problem with my email not opening the wheel keeps turning messages is no network detected this is a new phone it does the same thing as the old phone tell me how to fix the problems
Regular Contributor

Gigi if you’re using an iPhone read my earlier post in this thread and you’ll see I posted a solution that has worked for me. If you’re using a non iPhone device you can try the same fix (turn off background refresh for the app in device settings) but I don’t know if that will work for you or not and I don’t know how to guide you to do that as I’m only familiar with the iPhone settings.
Contributor

Me too. Comcast has no real competitors otherwise I'd lose them in a heartbeat 

Contributor

Call them every day I do you pay money and they are supposed to supply you with what you PAY for . They will knock money off because they know it’s against the Better Business. If we all called everyday maybe they would fix it . 7 months for me. Apathy is a sad thing fight for your right to Email. Thanks wasn’t being a jerk I just come off that way. Fios has everything Comcast does. FIOS and I been a Comcast user since the ‘80s when I call I get somebody not in this country. If you bought something and we’re paying monthly and what you bought stopped working would you keep paying. Even they admit no they wouldn’t only a fool would . Call ask for retention
Regular Contributor

Well in reality you can put your Comcast mail on the native mail app on your phone and all will work just fine just as you can access your comcast mail on your PC through their site and all will work just fine. Their mail app doesn’t require a discrete cost to download and you don’t need the app at all to have your Comcast email on your phone. I’d be the last person in the world to take up for Comcast due to what they charge for service but my guess is thats the way they look at it and therefore it’s not a priority to them. You could simply delete the app and still have full access to working mobile email. Had I not have found my own temp fix that was my next move.
Contributor

I’m sorry what do you mean go into mail on Apple where all the other emails are and ad it there?
Regular Contributor

All of the posts in this thread are specifically related to email issues with the Xfinity connect mobile app. This mobile app is simply an alternative to using the native email app that already comes loaded on your mobile device. If you wanna use the native Apple mail app you must set up your Comcast email account in that app just as you would do for any other email account like gmail, yahoo mail, etc, Point is you don’t need the Xfinity connect app at all to get your Comcast email on your mobile device.
Regular Contributor

Burrito: It’s off topic of the threads here but should you choose to use the native Apple email app on your phone here are instructions on how to set up your Comcast email account in the Apple email app.
https://www.google.com/search?q=setting%20up%20comcast%20mail%20on%20iphone%206
Contributor

My app has been working better but still problems with timely receipt of emails. Sometimes get the blank screen when trying open. Taking way too long for them to address. Suggest everyone post a review on Google play highlighting your problems as it might get more visibility. I see many recent negative reviews with the same problem. Maybe it will heighten a sense of urgency. They seem to be working out problems on several apps but they fail miserably with their lack of communication.
Regular Contributor

Philipj did you try turning off “App background refresh” in device settings as I posted earlier ? That was the only thing that worked for me after weeks of screwing around with it. Now a month of good operation since I did that.
Contributor

Thank you Idinpa for your possible solution. You referred to iPhone settings but I have a Samsung android. I don't see a setting for "app background refresh" anywhere in my settings menu.
Regular Contributor

Philipj: Gotcha. Don’t know which Samsung phone you have but here are the instructions to enable / disable background refresh at the app level for a Galaxy S8. Older models may be similar but I don’t know:
To enable/disable background data on Galaxy S8 only for specific apps…

Go to the Home screen;
Tap on Apps;
Open the Settings;
Select the Data Usage option;
Scroll down through the list of apps until you find the one you’re planning to edit;
Select that app and scroll for the option labeled as Restrict Background Data;
Tap on its toggle to switch it to On (if you want to enable it) or Off (if you want to disable it).

Hope that helps. Worse case it doesn’t and simple go back through the same process to enable background refresh for the app.

Cheers!
Regular Visitor

Same problem x months. I can’t locate the “Background App” refresh . My settings page does not go in same order as yours. iPhone 6s. Thanks
Contributor

I reinstalled it seems to be working now and Joan’s was right about using the I phone email. Where I says other put in Comcast.net and it loads . I thank him for that
Contributor

Sorry idinpa was right about useing I phone mail add xfinity in “other” I thank him for that
Contributor

Not Joan’s idipana