Community Forum

xfinity connect app will not open emails

Frequent Visitor

Re: xfinity connect app will not open emails

My background refresh is on all the time for all apps.  Maybe it refreshes when I am not using the ipad at night.  I have Bluetooth on all the time, too.  

Contributor

Wait a day or 2 . Going on 2 years now this is the worst app on any cell phone and it’s from a billion dollar nationwide company disgraceful. They have guts I pay $250 a month and have Internet, cable and phone but darn if I can get my messages on my iPhone or emails. It’s like if I bought a washing machine from someone paying monthly. If it stopped working would I continue to pay? Heck no!!! Why don’t they take money off of ppls bills for that reason. Maybe hire some new techs that can fix a minor problem. Why? they don’t care,customers money is all they care about. They have enough money ,maybe that would help them fix it sooner. I doubt it 2 year fixing an email phone app for a big company this is just in unacceptable. The real funny part is one of the techs that gets on this forum call himself “CHE” I hope you don’t mean Che Guevara. You are a joke. If I hear delete and reinstall or it’s a nationwide problem one more time ., if you know what it is then fix it. How embarrassing you can’t hire decent techs and fix this simple problem. It’s a joke. I’m sending 20$ less each week if you delete me I’ll go to Fios.This comp which I been with since ‘86 will just be a very very bad memory. The worst
Regular Contributor

Typically background refresh is also on by default for all apps on my iPhone but it can also be controlled at the individual app level. Having it on simply means the app is constantly refreshing and automatically refreshes every time you open the app. The only downside with turning it off is if you go in to the mail app frequently sometimes you have to pull down the screen to manually refresh it to get the latest mail. You shouldn’t have to do this but it’s still better than Dealing with all of the error messages and mail not loading at all.
Tags (1)
Contributor

Wait Ip. you have that automatic refresh to make things easier for you to not have to check apps to refresh them because of Xfinity? That is not a fix it’s not being able to use the options on you’re phone. I have Apple one New Year’s Day my phone wasn’t doing something right I took it to the Apple store New Year’s Day they fixed it in a half hour free. This is going on 2 years they Xsinaty should do the changing not you ( with all due respect to you) of course. They don’t care!!! It’s been 2 years no integrity . I will pay double a month if it ever gets fixed . I use my Apple mail but I pay for phone which I can’t make full use of getting my landline messages on my iPhone. The should be accountable. Any other company would but the got ya where they want you paying their crazy prices monthly so why would they fix it . If the lowest tech can’t fix this simple problem in 2 years it will never get fixed my friend never .
Regular Contributor

Hi Burrito: I agree I shouldn’t have to turn off the refresh but to be honest it’s such a very minor deal that I don’t even think about it anymore and the mail app has worked fine since I turned off background refresh months ago so for all intent purposes the problem is resolved for me.
Contributor

Wow glad to hear that . That isn’t fixing it. They did nothing and will continue to why should they the money still rolls in without even attempting to fix it and why should they? Glad yours is working for you. God now they’re doing mobile phones and a new WiFi thing . The password is “ Dadatude” how bout the new password being “ our Xfinity Connect app is the worst app in the history of apps , the password for it is “JUNKATUDE”. I will never tell my friends to get xfinity even though my cousin who has the same name as me is the VP in this giant skyscraper in Philly. Che get off you’re , first change your name to “ no where close to “Che” and fix it 2 years is more than ample time. I update since then
New Poster

Had the same problem a couple of months ago. I think doing an update worked. 

Started doing the same thing this AM but no update available. 

Now what?

Frequent Visitor

Android or ios?
Regular Contributor

IPhone 6S

Regular Contributor

Mlmsolomon:  Did you try my previous suggestion in this thread in regards to turning off background refresh for the connect app in your phone settings ?  That’s the only thing that fixed the issues for me. I’m using an iPhone 7.

Regular Contributor

I have't tried it yet.  For some very mysterious reason, after 6 months of this trouble,  and after all my posts, the situation has improved considerably.  

My husband's phone is another story.  Requires him to re-log-in nearly every time.  I'll try your trick on his phone.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Mlm: No prob. You’re welcome. Hopefully it will work for you. I know others who have iPhones that it helped and some it made no difference so who knows. All I know is that after too many hours of researching this problem, clearing browser data over and over again and doing a fresh install of the app over and over again this very simple fix is the only thing I’ve found to work for me so far. Good luck!
Regular Contributor

mlm: on other thing. Prior to turning off background refresh I’d close the app down completely so it’s not running in the background of your phone (swipe it off the screen). Then turn off refresh in settings then reopen the app.
Regular Contributor

Thx!

New Poster

You're not alone.

And this isn't the 1st time it's happened to me.

I posted a few days ago to see if anybody had new ideas.

Nobody likes to hear that "I don't have time . . . " but that's reality. And we all know "reality bytes". 

Regular Contributor

Looks like there’s been a new update to the connect app.  I’ve downloaded the update and turned background refresh back on.  I guess we’ll see if this latest update has finally fixed all of the problems many of us have been experiencing for close to a year now.

Frequent Visitor

That sounds like it would work. My ios tablet is new. My phone was replaced in March this year because I had to get AT&T's Microcell for better reception.
Regular Contributor

Well since I downloaded the latest xfinity connect app update 4 or 5 days ago the app seems to be working perfectly fine.  Mail is updating as it should and I’ve received no network related error messages like I used to get.  Could it be that after almost a year they’ve finally fixed the problems with this app ?  I don’t know but at least in my case so far so good.  Hopefully all of the others who posted on this thread are experiencing the same positive results.

Regular Contributor

Mine improved for a while, but now is sketchy, esp. when connecting through a different wi-fi system.  The upgrade did not help my husband's at all.  He has to log in every time he clicks on the Connect app.  The spinner spins for a while then kicks him out and he has to log in again.  That makes 2 log-ins to access his email!

Regular Contributor

mlm: Re. Your husband’s phone. If you have not done it yet I’d recommend 1. Deleting the connect app off the phone 2. Clearing your phone’s google and safari browser history completely and 3. Turning the phone power off then on again after 30 seconds and 4. Reinstalling the connect app all in that order.

If you’ve done all of those things and it still doesn’t work right then I’m out of ideas except for trying the trick I mentioned previously of turning off the background refresh switch for the app and see if that does anything. Good luck !
Regular Contributor

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  I'm not sure how to clear Google and Safari browsers -- can you advise?

I will definite delete the app and reinstall.  Today when he went into Connect, it showed he had only 3 messages.  Not possible.  I turned off the phone and turned it back on, logged in for him, and all his messages reappeared.  He blames the phone.  I blame Connect.

Contributor

No it’s xfinity it’s been happening to me for over a year . I got tired of their crummy device and now use Apple mail even tho I can’t get my messages from my land line. Someone should be held accountable for this . I lost a lot of money not being able to get my messages from my landline I teach guitar and must have lost 20 clients . Do you even care Xfinity? Sending $20 less this month until it’s fixed or you reimburse me
Contributor

Did ya get that Che the joke tech man you’re a joke you don’t know or care about any of thes customers for over a year. Get a new job you sure don’t know how to do this one
Regular Contributor

Burrito: Did you see my previous post about the latest update to the connect app this past weekend? I installed that most recent update and at least for the past 5 days now the app has worked flawlessly for me. No error messages and no endless spinning when trying to open / retrieve mail. If you have not downloaded the most recent update you may want to give it a try and see if it now works for you. I saw they also updated it yet again today.
Regular Contributor

mlm: to clear Google history open google app. On the google Home page tap the little gear in the top left corner of the page. That will open up a settings page. Page down until you see history. Tap on history. Then on the next page tap “clear on device history”. Then tap done.

For safari open your iPhone phone settings. On the settings main page look down the left hand side of the page until you see safari then tap on it. Then on the next page scroll all the way down until you see “clear history and website data”. Tap on that and then a notice will come up saying cancel or clear. Select clear. You’re done. Then turn the phone off / on after 30 seconds and reinstall connect. Good luck!
Frequent Visitor

When I switched to my iPad after only using my Android I saw outlook knew about a bunch of emails but Xfinity connect app showed a bunch of emails in my junk file.  

Could this be how each app handles email?  Better yet Isaw a few spammers acting like Xfinity asking me to reset my password.  DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM.  CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD AND SECRET QUESTIONS IF 

YOU ARE WITHIN A SAFE SECURE NETWORK. T O DAY I SAW A LINK WITH  

.FR implying it is a spammer.  FR is aFrench email extension.  It was in my junk folder.

Frequent Visitor

Under the grey gear there is an icon called mail.  Use that.  It works without the Xfinity connect.

Regular Contributor

Cindy: I’m not really following you when you say use the mail icon and not the xfinity app but I’m assuming you simply mean set up your Comcast mail account on the native iPhone or iPad mail app. If that’s what you’re saying that’s always been an option for everyone using an i device. You don’t need the connect app at all to get Comcast mail on any mobile device. The Comcast mail account can be set up on any devices native mail app. The advantage of using the connect app though is that the mobile device native mail app (Apple mail icon) will not keep your mail synchronized with the Comcast mail servers. For example if you delete a Comcast email while using the Apple mail app that email will not be deleted on the Comcast mail server. In other words if you go to a PC and sign in to your Comcast email from the Xfinity site that email you deleted in the Apple mail app will still be showing in the inbox of your Comcast mail account on the Comcast site. The Xfinity Connect app eliminates this by continually syncing your mobile mail with the Comcast mail servers. That’s the primary advantage of using the connect app versus trying to manage Comcast mail with the native mail apps that come with mobile devices. If I misunderstood your post you may disregard everything I just said here LOL!
Contributor

Thanks Ip. I did but now I’m so used to the Apple mail I use that. At your suggestion by the way thanks . I will try the new app thanks my freind
Frequent Visitor

Yes. Up until this morning I only had a blue envelope icon. I installed the Xfinity icon with 'Comcast' text under it and that seemed to be OK.
New Poster

My xfinity app only has a “retrieving information” bar and will not go past that. Please help as this is my business email.
Regular Contributor

Aham: sometimes simply powering off your phone and turning it back on after 30 seconds will fix a problem like this.

If you’ve tried that already I’d recommend 1. Deleting the connect app off the phone 2. Clearing your phone’s google and safari browser history completely and 3. Turning the phone power off then on again after 30 seconds and 4. Reinstalling the connect app all in that order.

If you’ve done all of that already and the app still does not work you may need to just set up your Comcast mail account on the native mail app that came with your mobile device and forget about using the app. Of course you can always call Comcast support for help and suggestions as well. Good luck!
New Poster

Thank you! I did contact Xfinity and they refreshed my id. I deleted the app and the new app would not load but I can get the email through the chrome app. It is my business email so I have to get it some way. I will also set up the iphone telephone app, too.

Contributor

A new update was released last night for android, version 6.8.4 with a slightly new look.   Opened email this morning and it seemed to run flawlessly.  Make sure you all try it out.  Hope this works as a long term fix.

Regular Contributor

Philipj: Yep. I installed the new update available for iOS last week and for a week now it’s been performing perfectly. Maybe they finally got it right.
Regular Visitor

I’ve had the same problem on my iPhone and iPad for several months. Seems like every three or four times I try to use it the email,won’t load. I’ve called Comcast support and had the “refresh” done but it only lasts about two days. The “special team” that Comcast Help refers my “Ticket” to never responds. This is not a way to run a service company.

Frequent Visitor

Try closing both the general email app and the Xfinity app on all devices.  Wait for 15 minutes, then open Xfinity email.  This is presuming the Xfinity IOS app is up to date.

New Poster

It is all working now. I removed the app and re-loaded it and all is well.

New Poster

same issue - why all of the sudden?  Somebody has changed something???

Contributor

It’s been like that 3 years now. I use my Apple mail it never fails ever plus you can flag emails. They’ll never get this to work unless they “ downdate”.to the first version ever .
New Poster

Has anyone ever had the Xfinity connect app not work on the home Xfinity wifi, but it works fine on other wifi? My home wifi runs fine, for everything except this app. All devices. I thought it was my phone so upgraded to galaxy s9 and same thing...messages deliver but never open....always spins until the connection cannot be established. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. So strange everything but the app is fine. And the app works at my neighbors on the wifi, or on my data.
New Poster

I have to turn off wifi to "open" any emails at home. Downloads, can see preview, but won't open.
New Poster

My emails stopped downloading on Dec 12th on my Sprint LG Volt prepaid phone after many years  and I have not been able to find out why. I have tried every thing and it always says cannot reach server. It is very frustrating and Comcast tried reseting the modem a couple of times with no results Where does the problem lie, with Sprint or with Comcast.

leob1951@comcast.net

Frequent Visitor

1.  Clear cache. Verify whether you are using the Google Chrome browser.  This gets full of junk/cache.  

2.  Close all applications.

3.  Make sure you are connected to your network.  We have 2  networks and our printer has to be on the same network as the device sending a request to print something.

4.  Delete the Xfinity icon.  Uninstall Xfinity.  Reinstall Xfinity.  

5.  If you are connected to the network, try clicking on  Xfinity.  It should prompt you for a password and user id.  

6.  If you’re still having issues, I suspect your phone does not run Chrome.  Try another browser like Microsoft, Google, Bing or whatever Sprint is supplying on that phone.  Personally, I use Chrome.  

Frequent Visitor

If your neighbor doesn’t have a secure network with a network password, it could be as simple as resetting your network password.  Call Xfinity if they have supplied you with a modem.  The secure setup is different.  They can walk you through resetting your modem and network password.   That would be a priority to me for the sake of having nobody near your property borrowing your paid internet service.  

Frequent Visitor

Same issue here. Uninstalled the app on my phone. Started working for a day, then stopped. Just keeps going round and round and never stops. Like it is trying to update and can't. Does not work on wifi either. same circle.

Frequent Visitor

Do you also have Outlook?  I am wondering if a 3rd party software will solve it. I have used Outlook with the Microsoft account.  It has to be set up with your user and password.  

If Outlook is used without being signed on Comcast, it will not synchronize email.  

If you are using an Ipad, then just use native Apple email. It is a way around it.  When the server is operating, go into Xfinity and synchronize email.   

I noticed certain times of the day when Xfinity is unavailable.  It was usually around midnight when servers were rebooted.  Try a different time of day.

Frequent Visitor

This is on my phone, I ended up clearing the data and then logged back in to see it it would help. It is working for now. Just don't know how long. I uninstalled and reinstalled last week, worked for about a day or so. The wife is having the same issue. It has got to be the app that is causing the issues. Nothing has changed on my phone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I wonder if the WiFi or your network is acting up.  Maybe you can reboot the router if you are using Comcast as a service.  

I had an issue with ATT because a tower was not functioning.  I had to drive near a WiFi location and use my secure connection in my car.  I replaced my phone after that and it worked.  

If you also have AT&T, they can provide a box called a 'Microcell' which you sit in a windowsill.  It is supposed to enhance cell phone signals because they say there is a lot of electronic interference in our homes.  I also live near a highway.

My upgraded Samsung now works.

Frequent Visitor

I am not using any WIFI. I have Verizon for my phone service. I just checked my emails on my phone and it has stopped updating. it just keeps on circling.