Community Forum

Xfinity Connect app not staying connected

Contributor

Xfinity Connect app not staying connected

For the past week or so my Connect app will not stay  connected. The only way to download emails is to clear all app data on my Galaxy Tab Pro. Then it will re-sign in and connect again for a time but will quickly lose its connection and return to a spinning icon while attempting to check for emails. This is happening on both my Tab Pro and my wife's Tab Pro with her email. Uninstalling and reinstalling has the same effect as clearing the app data. Only stays connected for a short period of time.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Connect app not staying connected

We have the same problem.  Xfinity staying incommunicado on the problem.   NChaney

Contributor

I talked with a gentleman from xfinity app development yesterday. They have started a trouble ticket. I think this may be an issue on older versions of android. My tab pro is currently running 4.4.2. If this continues I will consider installing a custom android ROM. They are supposed to call me back. I will keep everyone informed of any progress.

Contributor

Thank you.  Please do post any solution you achieve.  Haven't  really checked which version I have--my xfinity acct. says the app is compatible with whatever mine is.  Ngc

Contributor

PS:  I checked and my android is also 4.4.2 and it says no updates available at this time.  Ngc

Contributor

Good to know. If they monitor this community they will know that there is more evidence that this is an android issue. Especially with 4.4.2. The Xfinity Connect app is supposed to be compatible with android 4.0 and up. This doesn't seem to be the case. It is working on my other devices that have more recent versions of android. I will explain this to them when and if they call me back.

Contributor

Just an update.  Have been contacted by ComcastEcare and a representative will be looking into the problem. ( A few days ago I sent them an email describing the problem.)  Ngc

Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem with the Connect App on a Samsung tablet which has its most current Android update of version 4.4.2

The 'bad' behavior of the 'loading more messages' not completing and, therefore, message content not being accessible began just recently.

As another post mentioned, this can be temporarily fixed by clearing ALL of the application's data and restarting. Unfortunately, the seemingly endless looping quickly returns. Messages can be manually deleted; however, the list on the tablet no longer updates to automatically eliminate the ones I download to my desktop computer (without leaving copies on the Comcast server).

I've uninstalled the App and reinstalled. The Google Play Store states that the App may not be optimized for my device, so this may reflect some issue with older Android versions.

Oddly, though, I have seen similar (but intermittent) behavior on a much newer Samsung tablet and on two LG X Power smartphones. It seems as though there could be some issue with the Connect application itself and/or with Comcast server operations.

I reported the issue via Chat to Comcast. It was 'expedited' to their Higher Fix Team and I received (but missed) a phone call for which the message simply asked me if I was still having the problem. If so, it was suggested that I call back. (I would have preferred to have gotten a confirmation of the problem being recognized by Support  and some suggestion of remedy.)

Contributor

Thanks for your input. I, too, have had a response from Comcast that they have escalated the problem and will give a response  within 24 hrs.  So, we'll see.  It does appear to be a widespread problem.  Ngc

Frequent Visitor

So get this:

This morning I received a second call from Comcast which I was able to answer. The male robotic voice explained that it was in regard to the support ticket I'd submitted and said I should press '1' if I was available to speak with a technician.

I eagerly proceeded and expected to be connected directly to a human being; however, a female robotic voice took over by thanking me for calling Comcast and requested confirmation of my address. Then the automatic process then asked me if I was calling to get help with connecting an Xfinity service.  (I then simply hung up - life is too short...)

Today my tablet (running Android 4.4.2) is continuously trying to load more messages or to open the content of any one in the list. I mentioned prevously that even on another much newer tablet and on two LG X Power  phones the bad behavior of the Connect App is similar but intermittent and relatively short lived. This morning my LG phone showed Connect in a temporary endless loop; however, at the same time, I found that CNN and BBC websites were hanging as their resepctive introductory logos first appeared. (This was NOT a problem with my network - other internet sites were available, so I hope we're not being affected by the loss of Neutrality.)

I hope that Comcast Support will be reviewing this Forum thread.

Contributor

Just a few minutes ago I got a call from a very nice man from Comcast who is working on the problem as I had reported it.  I suggested that he or someone go to the Community Forum to read what others were saying concerning this problem, that I'm just a novice, and those on the Community were more knowledgeable.  He will work on the problem but said he may not get back with me before later tomorrow, (Mon, Feb 11 in my area).  Ngc

Contributor

I sure hope they do read this forum. I am beginning to suspect that this is a problem with IMAP and syncing folders in the connect app. When it loses connectivity (forever spinning icon) the app will still download the email headers. It just won't download the body of the messages. I set up a POP account on my wife's Tab Pro and it never has an issue since it initializes a new connection every time it checks for mail. This is done with SSL (secure socket layer) for both incomming (port 995) and outgoing (port 465) mail. This pad is running android 4.4.2. Her connect app still loses connectivity but she can still get her mail on the POP account. The difference is that the connect app will attempt periodically to sync all folders with the comcast server on your account. This is where the problem seems to manifest.

Just my take on the issue. Hope it helps.

Contributor

Thanks for the update.  Ngc

Contributor

Not sure anyone from Comcast is paying attention to this forum. The app hasn't been updated and still doesn't work and I haven't heard a thing from Comcast after that first call last week.

Contributor

I've had 3 calls from the man who is supervising my ticket number.  His last call was this morning.  He asked if anyone on his team had contacted me yet and I told him they hadn't.  He indicated they would get to me, that it was a matter of them getting down to my ticket number--said they worked them by order number.  In the meantime I googled and found some instructions on how to reinstall an older xfinity connect application.  It give instructions on doing it, but I didn't write down the web address.  Try googling "Can I reinstall a previous version of xfinity connect application for android?"  or something similar, and see if you would be interested in trying.  It carried me to the comcast/xfinity page  which provided the appropriate links to do so, but I didnt try to do anything.  Not very knowledgeable about it. If I have success with my work request. will try to post it   Ngc

Contributor

OOPS!   The reinstallion instructions  I referred to are for the Xfinity My Account app, not Xfinity Connect app.  Sorry.  Ngc

Contributor

I just got off the phone with Comcast. The app department had closed my ticket as being resolved. Why they did that is a mystery not only to me but to them as well... Wow. I re-explained all that is going on and she told me that the engineering department was working on "changes to the email server". I have no confidence that they are actually doing anything. This is getting to be so frustrating. The tier 2 person wouldn't even let me talk with the engineers or developers. She was acting as a conduit between me and the techies. She had me uninstall and reinstall the app yet again. Of course it's working for now but it always does for a period of time. She said she would call back in around 15 minutes to see. I will let you all know...

Contributor

Just got a call back. The tier 2 tech says that the engineers made some changes to the comcast email server. I had uninstalled and reinstalled around 40 minutes ago and it just stopped working again. I will attempt a call back.

Contributor

As Yogi would say "it's deja vu all over again."  Ngc

Contributor

Hate to say it but I have lost all confidence in ever getting this resolved. The tier 2 tech now wants me to contact the manufacturer of my device. Even though we are only experiencing this on android 4.4.2, on two devices. Here is my configuration for those who read this:

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1

Android 4.4.2

They wanted to reset my cable modem. While I was on the line with them on my ip based phone (xfinity voice) I might add.

If anyone else could share what type of devices and what versions of Android that they are experiencing this issue on it couldn't hurt.

They are supposed to call me back yet again. This is getting beyond frustrating.

New Poster

Same issue with Samsung phone for last few weeks.

Contributor

Just spent an hour on the phone with tier 2. The bottom line is the developers/engineers are giving up. They said even though the google apps site says the Xfinity Connect app will work with android 4 and above it will not work with 4.4.2 and they can't figure out why. They suggest we all either buy new devices or load a custom ROM above 5.0. So much for competence... Gotta love Comcast!

Contributor

DUH?  It's worked  excellently with my 4.4.2  for 3 years without ever being uninstalled until this past week.  How can that be?  Ngc

Contributor

They know that the last update broke it but evidently don't want to expend the effort to figure out why or how. No looking back!! Can only go forward. They don't want to support the older Android versions. I just think this has more to do with their competency. 

Contributor

You're right.   But it does work, just not for long, so looks like it could be corrected.  Just wish we could uninstall the faulty updates.    Ngc

Contributor

From what I have been able to find online it looks like once the app update is insinstalled going back versions is problematic. I will do some research and post here if I find a way to go back a version to when it worked. 

Contributor

A website called apk.monk.com offers downloads of previous versions of xfin ity connect app.  I know nothing about these things.  Someone might want to check into it and let us know if it's an option.  Ngc

Contributor

PS: It's me again.  Haven't gotten all thoughts collected for one Post.  This website  (apkmonk.com) checks out as being safe on McAfee web advisor.  So  if indeed  they can offer previous versions of xfinity  connect that work on android 4.4.2, why can't Comcast?   Ngc

Contributor

I'm on Android 4.4.4 with exactly the same problem and symptoms. Today tho I can't even connect to email via Chrome browser let alone the Connect app crapping out after awhile.

I ask a day ago to the tech support guy (level2) if I should setup the Gmail app for imap and see if it works for the same account. He said no setup email for imap using the default email app that came with the phone.  IT WORKS ! For over 30+hours straight! Offered to sniff tcp/ip packets on port 993 between my phone and smtp.comcast.net (ip addresses) and mail them the dump. I imagine tho level3 should be able to do this on their end. Also I don't think the Connect app has recently changed. Haven't we been at Connect app version 7.2.1 for over a month? Not sure tho. This problem has only occured in the last 10 days or so. Also the coming in thru Chrome only stopped today.  That would indicate that Comcast changed software on smtp.comcast.net or more likely their front end (in front of DMZ) to effect phone calls and texting (get for both "Connect coukd not be established. Please try again later." error message) also in their Connect app.

Highlighted
Contributor

It's a continuing ordeal. and very frustrating.  Now Comcast is fiddling with my app again and for awhile it wouldn't work at all.  Awaiting their next call.  At least it is back to notices of new emails (which won't open).  Ngc

Contributor

To everyone:  Another update:  Representative of Priority Customer Outreach Team called back.  He says  4.4.2 IS compatible with app., that's he's made some adjustments.  Asked me to uninstall/reinstall again and observe over the weekend.  He will call back on Sunday PM to check how it's doing and says they may have to get others involved if still malfunctioning. Ngc

Contributor

My recommendation is ... Don't hold your breath. I was on the phone yesterday for two hours with those people and they told me the same thing. "We made some adjustments, please uninstall and reinstall". Well... It failed again within 15 minutes. If you want to see then once you get the app uninstalled and installed and working go ahead and sign out of your account within the app and then try to sign in again. Let me know if you can do this. I think you will get the "connection could not be established please try again later". Hope I'm wrong.

Contributor

Are you saying that if I sign out that I won't be able to reinstall the app?  So far since reinstalling it's been ok for 1 hr,3 min , but think it just went out. Ngc

Contributor

I've gotten the try again tomorrow, it's your hardware, try again uninstalling they fixed the server - you name it. Only deleting all user data brings back the operation of the Connect app, but then it dies after a couple of hours. At least it did this morning. 

Comcast has to fix their app or remove at least KitKat support - which will get allot of customers upset. BTW the open ticket on this Xfinity Connect app issue is CR 831164475.

Contributor

No, what I am saying is that is an easy way of seeing if those "adjustments" fixed the issue. Instead of just waiting for it to fail you can sign out and try to sign back in. If things are in fact fixed then you won't have a problem doing this. But if they aren't fixed then you won't be able to sign back into the app. You will get that error message I mentioned. The "adjustments" they are making can only be to the email server settings. Most likely the IMAP settings. They haven't updated the app and don't seem to care that this was working fine before the last update. It's my feeling that they are experiencing multiple issues due to changes that were made it their network.

Contributor

Seems like we're all getting the same runaround, then.  Very disappointing.  Hopefully someone can finally fix it.   I've not yet given up.  Ngc

Contributor

Since it doesn't seem that they view this forum I would suggest that we all email them with our issues at Xfinity_Connect@comcast.com . Maybe the right people will start paying attention.

Contributor

Have emailed them, but no response.  Another option is ecare@comcast.com--they are who I went through.  Ngc

Contributor

Has anyone tried various IMAP account setups. For KitKat you change IMAP settings by going to Settings>>Accounts>>IMAP.

I think Xfinity Connect app reads these settings from Android OS. Options exits on port #'s, SMTP or SMTPS, SSL, SSL accept all certificates, synch freq, etc. Does playing with these effect our problem?

Comcast states the following:

"Email Configuration Settings

To configure an email client to use Comcast email (@comcast.net), the following settings should be used for sending and receiving email:

• Incoming Mail Server Name: imap.comcast.net
  • Incoming Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 993 with SSL ON
    • Only if Needed: 143 with SSL ON
  • Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number:
    • Recommended: 587 (SMTP)
    • Only if Needed: 465 (SMTPS)
  • SSL Encryption: checked
  • Authentication: Xfinity username and password required"
Contributor

Sorry, I don't know enough to comment on this.  Wonder if that's what Comcast is doing to try to find a solution to the problem.  Ngc

Contributor

All that does is configure your email client to use IMAP for your account. Only within your pads email client. I have already done this. I can get my email that way but it has nothing to do with the connect app. Or using the other features of the connect app such as texting, voicemail, virtual phone numbers, etc. The ecare people emailed me and said they would be calling me to escalate the issue. We will see...

Contributor

I think the Connect app gets it's email account settings from the Android OS. Not sure tho. The Connect app has no way to enter your Comcast email user name and password. 

Contributor

They are independent. The IMAP account settings are only for your built in email client. The connect app authenticates the first time you use it. It then downloads your account settingss This is part of the problem that is occurring now. Go to settings within the app and you can sign out. You won't be able to sign back in though until you clear the apps data.

Contributor

Have found the eCare dept. very dependable about contacting me, although once or twice there has been a few days delay after the  initial contact.  Please keep us updated.  Am going to try to refrain myself from inundating the forum with so many  of my uninformed replies.   Will let you know if my problem gets solved. Ngc

Contributor

I agree with you.

Still trying to understand how the Connect app had all my IMAP settings after I deleted all of the app's data and even when I delete the Connect app too. I still don't understands how the Connect app saves/knows my Xfinity IMAP user account settings after user data deletion. The Connect app obviously know the IMAP servers settings (the servers are theirs) but user name and password is problematic.

My bad tho, because I did not have any Android OS  IMAP accounts until I entered them. Therefore the Connect app did NOT populate the Android OS IMAP account settings. 

Contributor

When you first install the connect application upon first use it will propmt for you to authenticate. This is true even when you clear the apps data. The difference being that your pad may have cached your userid so you may only see a page stating that you are already logged in as <your_userid>. If you had previously logged out of the connect app it will ask for your password. It then will download your account settings and configure the apps settings. This will remain in effect even when you close the app unless you log out from your account inside the app. I think this cached information may be part of the problem we are experiencing. The app will attempt to re-authenticate after a period of time using the cached data (userid, app status, etc.) This is where it fails inside android versions less than 5.0. The ecare people emailed and said they would contact me to talk and escalate this issue. I bet they call tomorrow. I will let you all know the status after that.

Contributor

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Connect-App/xfinity-connect-app-will-not-open-emails/td-p/2977...

FYI. Similar issue on this forum. Over a year old of posts - but allot of complaining. Problem WAS on both iPhone and Android. Interestingly they note the "work around solution" for Android was turn off app background data updating which is available only with/after Android 5.0. 

Contributor

My latest is that  they say it's my phone only, and I might need to do a factory reset--which I'm not buying.   They're holding my ticket open.  Ngc

Contributor

Reference my CR which is for different hw and I was told I still open.

CR831164475

Contributor

I am still waiting on a call back from the ecare people. I was out when he called this morning. Unfortunately none of the things in the other posts from a year ago apply in this case. Similar symptoms but a completely different cause. Trust me. Let me talk to the people at ecare and see what they will do. Resetting to factory setting isn't going to help a bit and the fact that they are reduced to suggesting that shows how lost they are at this point.