Community Forum

Dropping Xfinity Connect texting March 2020

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Dropping Xfinity Connect texting March 2020

@wroloson wrote:

DO NOT call the number <Edited> that eggted posted.  According to NomoRobo, it is a scam.

<Edited>

THAT is the correct number for Comcast Corp in Philly. Obviously scammers are spoofing that number to call people BUT that happens with many numbers including a person's own personal phone number. I get calls 'from myself', my neighbors,  local gov't and hospital,etc and they are all scam calls using spoofing.

Highlighted
New Poster

Wroloson please delete or update your posting, as the phone number I gave to reach Comcast corporate is correct. You can google it yourself to confirm. If we all call perhaps we can save our texting feature!

Highlighted
Contributor

Successful 'message to higher ups via their CSR at HQ'.

I just called their HQ, let the Operator know you are calling to speak to someone about 'losing text message priviledges off of "Comcast Connect" app suite she said, "okay, fine, please hold and I will connect you". <Edited> -

FYI: You have to 'take control of the conversation' as they're trying to sell me their Mobile App at $4.99/mo for texting on a 'cell phone'. I want to continue to text on my keyboard via my email account as is... and I had him 'escalate' my call, repeating to him why I need to keep my text from home phone via Comcast Connect account. 

Thanks all <Edited>

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just called the corporate number.  They are there until 6 PM.  The more complaints received will possibly help now or in the future.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I was simply pointing out that NomoRobo considers that number a threat.  Like so much on the internet, you can choose to believe or accept what you want.  Personally, I don't care who you call.  Re: the online text feature, I called the Comcast/Xfinity  800 number to complain about the texting issue, and they forwarded my call to the appropriate contact, internally, for the complaint.  Finally, as for "updating the post", apparently many others have already done that by proxy.  Take care, y'all. 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@ShaynaFromFl

Ok....we get it...please stop posting that same message over and over.......repeating it 11 times at last count is not constructive

@ShaynaFromFL wrote:

Hear Hear! DITTO! Everyone who posts, should call and tell all your friends to call, if possible! Thanks! OPEN MON - FRI FROM 8:30 AM  - 6 PM EST. 

CALL: 215-286-1700 - and complain, get your call 'escalated'!  

Highlighted
Contributor

Apologize to 'all'  for that and thanks for your patience and suggestion. Got it - confess I'm new to this arena/blogging/posting with Comcast. Sorry I was obtrusive, just hope it makes a difference... still. Have a great day! 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@ShaynaFromFL wrote:

Apologize to 'all'  for that and thanks for your patience and suggestion. Got it - confess I'm new to this arena/blogging/posting with Comcast. Sorry I was obtrusive, just hope it makes a difference... still. Have a great day! 

You were not being obtrusive and your suggestion in urging us to contact them was great but posting the exact same thing 11 times was a bit over the top. ...lol

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Texting being eliminated

I called 215-286-1700, Comcast corporate office and complained about losing the texting feature. He said if they hear from enough people, they might opt to reverse their  decision.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity text messaging feature is going away 03/24/2020

I feel your pain! My exact situation. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Texting

Comcast is ridiculously expensive!! Now they want to get rid of texting. How stingy can they be?!! What's next?! If Verizon had FiOS in my area I would switch!!!!!!
Highlighted
Contributor

Agree with everyone here 100%

Totally depend on this feature and have been a loyal customer for 35+ years!!

PLEASE Comcast -- think twice about this horrible decision.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Just receive another lovely reminder just now from comcast regarding the end of texting.  Obviously, all of our calls has not altered their decision.  Any suggestions?

Contributor

I somehow think the removal of this particular feature has something to do with the new cell phone service, Xfinity Mobile, which Comcast promotes heavily.

Remove texting from the Xfinity Connect app and push Xfinity Mobile --> results are much more lucrative.

However, there are those of us who like their landlines.

For us, cell phone service is not reliable and we depend on Comcast (when we have power that is).

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Bumkitty wrote:

I somehow think the removal of this particular feature has something to do with the new cell phone service, Xfinity Mobile, which Comcast promotes heavily.

Remove texting from the Xfinity Connect app and push Xfinity Mobile --> results are much more lucrative.

However, there are those of us who like their landlines.

For us, cell phone service is not reliable and we depend on Comcast (when we have power that is).

===

I have their digital voice landline service and  their Mobile service but my cell phone is not on when I am home and its very convenient to text from xfinity.com on my desktop rather than go get the cell phone and turn it on just to send a simple text message. I will really miss the feature.

I don't understand all the people talking about using their landlines to text... HUH? I can do it from my tablet or cell phone using Xfinity connect and of course on xfinity.com under the  'mail' tab and when I text on Xfinity.com the number people see is my land line.....is that what people mean by texting on landline? There is zero way to physically text from a landline phone.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am angry as well.  I rarely ever get calls on my number any more -  because PEOPLE TEXT.   Is Xfinity phone being managed by old people who don't have a clue????  I'm old, but even I realize that most people under 65 are  going to text now days because the proliferation of spam means that no one answers their phones any more.  As I'm sitting typing this I have received two calls and they are both spam. I will say that 9 out 10 calls I get are spam, but 100% of texts are  not.   I even called support and asked what is the reason for dropping the support - and no one in tech support said that they knew!   My next option is that going to look into having my number moved over to my cell phone provider.  I've had this number for over 30 years and I don't want to lose it.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@lhntx wrote:

I am angry as well.  I rarely ever get calls on my number any more -  because PEOPLE TEXT.   Is Xfinity phone being managed by old people who don't have a clue????  I'm old, but even I realize that most people under 65 are  going to text now days because the proliferation of spam means that no one answers their phones any more.  As I'm sitting typing this I have received two calls and they are both spam. I will say that 9 out 10 calls I get are spam, but 100% of texts are  not.   I even called support and asked what is the reason for dropping the support - and no one in tech support said that they knew!   My next option is that going to look into having my number moved over to my cell phone provider.  I've had this number for over 30 years and I don't want to lose it.

==

I get spam text messages all the time so you are fortunate!  I am not a big user of texting but when I want/need to and don't have my cell phone nearby its been so very useful to be able to use Xfinity connect on xfinity.com on my desktop or my tablet. Surely it can't be costing them much for this feature and its not like they don't have the money even if there is some maintenance thay have to perform.  The bigger they get the more they take away  and then charge more. Hard to wrap my head around it.

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast is sunsetting text messaging service from 03/24/2020.  It is disappointing.

Highlighted
Contributor

Text Messaging Being Discontinued

I'd like to know why Xfinity is discontinuing the Text Messaging option that's available with our Digital Voice Service? While it may not be the most popular feature in a world of mobile devices, there are countless Xfinity consumers who utilize the option.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Text messaging

Ditto. It's a ridiculous decision. If they already have the infrastructure in place to offer it, what's the harm in keeping it? <Edited>

Highlighted
New Poster

Yeah this is a disaster best feature of the phone now I have to go get a cell phone everyone texts this number, it is essential to anyone to be able to text, noone calls anymore at least we can log into xfinity and see who text us, now messages will just vanish please rethink this  if anything more people might get rid of a cell phone to have this feature if they are home alot

Highlighted
New Poster

Hate to think how many texts I will never see because of this.

Highlighted
New Poster

TEXT Feature is going away..

so will my bill go down?  You're providing less service, for the same price.  Doesn't make sense to keep any of my services if you're going to keep stripping them and not reduce the price.

Highlighted
Administrator

All,
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your feedback.
As we continue to evaluate our product offerings, we decided to end text messaging via the Xfinity Connect Text website and app as of March 24, 2020, due to declining feature usage, as more mobile providers offer unlimited text. At that time, you will no longer be able to send or receive text messages, and all previously received text messages will be deleted. If you wish to save your text conversations, you can download them as CSV files via the Xfinity Connect Text website.

Additionally, to stay connected to friends and family, after March 24, 2020, you can message on a third-party messaging app (such as Google Hangouts, WhatsApp and others) if your device and data plan allows it.

Notes:
  • The discontinuing of the text messaging feature includes the automated textback feature as well.
  • You cannot save text messages using the Xfinity Connect app.
  • After the feature is retired, text messages sent to an Xfinity Voice phone number will receive an error message indicating that the number no longer receives text messages. This error message is controlled by the carrier of the originating phone number who may elect not to send an error.

Downloading Text Messages from the Xfinity Connect Text Website

1. Sign in to xfinity.com using your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Click the Voice ComcastJessie_0-1586268996963.jpeg icon.
  3. Click Text.
    ComcastJessie_1-1586268996966.jpeg
  4. Select the conversation you want to save.
    ComcastJessie_2-1586268996967.jpeg 
  5. Click the Save button on the top right of the conversation.
    ComcastJessie_3-1586268996968.jpeg

Notes:
  • Text messages will be saved in CSV format, which can be opened in spreadsheet programs such as Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, OpenOffice Calc, or in word processing programs like Microsoft Word or Notepad.
  • Text conversations must be selected one at a time when saving.

Source:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-voice-text-messaging-feature-retirement

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I know you probably have no say in this, but why the big wigs above you to decide to remove such a handy value from your service? The TOS bites us in the butt every time! Can and will change at any time. Time to vote with the wallet, I say 😉

Like others have said the function may be moved to another tier like the CELL service you now offer. Hmm How convenient! Imagine when severing something like this that is conveniently connected to one's own home phone number how many undelivered text messages there could be for some people! Could be rather catastrophic to some and you are not responsible! How funny... Think of these implications! I do not know why a "little used feature" has to be removed other than that cold hard cash $$$ reason. At least I have logical deduction to share this wisdom here. It will just die like every other good and handy thing.

I'll stop lol...

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast-Jesse -- your explanation & "help" regarding the dropping of text messaging through the Connect App is by no means a resolution to the original complaint.  I think most of us here understand how to save old text messages -- what we would like is the ability TO TEXT through the Connect App AFTER 24 March 2020.  

It's a simple concept really -- you have a base of customers that regularly use the Connect App service and would like for it to continue.  This thread is an attempt to make Comcast aware that its customers are unhappy with the slated change.

Please UNMARK this thread as solved as we continue to make our voices heard regarding the removal of a service we would like to keep.

Happy to discuss this at length, Comcast-Jesse.  Comcast needs to listen to its consummer-base.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Bumkitty wrote:

Comcast-Jesse -- your explanation & "help" regarding the dropping of text messaging through the Connect App is by no means a resolution to the original complaint.  I think most of us here understand how to save old text messages -- what we would like is the ability TO TEXT through the Connect App AFTER 24 March 2020.  

It's a simple concept really -- you have a base of customers that regularly use the Connect App service and would like for it to continue.  This thread is an attempt to make Comcast aware that its customers are unhappy with the slated change.

Please UNMARK this thread as solved as we continue to make our voices heard regarding the removal of a service we would like to keep.

Happy to discuss this at length, Comcast-Jesse.  Comcast needs to listen to its consummer-base.

==============

I also have a problem with this marked as solved. Jessie gave us the same information that comes up when we go to the texting portion of Xfinity Connect and we have all read that or would not have been complaining. Many  useful features  of Xfinity have been negatively changed or removed and none have been re-activated so the consumer base really has little effect on what corporate decides is best for THEM.  This includes removal of popular cable and premium channels,  Xfinity connect texting, charging  Xfinity Mobile non data users for data ,  and numerous very popular features on the X1 platform.

Many of us have very little alternate choices to Xfinity services. I have always been very happy with their platform and reliability but removing more and more features is a real problem.

Highlighted
Contributor

@TerriB @ComcastJessie 

Exactly--this is a platform to voice opinions and find resolutions.

As far as this thread is concerned, Comcast is not addressing the issue or listening to its customers.

In some cases, texting via the home phone (landline) is the only option available.

Again @ComcastJessie, I am open to a real discussion with Comcast about this issue.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My son has been in intensive care since February 24, 2020.  If it had not been for texting to update my family and friends, I would have been in a terrible predictament.  I do not have a cell phone nor is there a phone in his room.  Also, there is no pay phones anymore.  I am totally disgusted since my son will be here when BIG BROTHER turns it off.   I have been customer since 1980 at the same location.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@marybolgerbarry wrote:

My son has been in intensive care since February 24, 2020.  If it had not been for texting to update my family and friends, I would have been in a terrible predictament.  I do not have a cell phone nor is there a phone in his room.  Also, there is no pay phones anymore.  I am totally disgusted since my son will be here when BIG BROTHER turns it off.   I have been customer since 1980 at the same location.

Comcast talks about accessibility and has commercials about how they are helping the disabled with new technology BUT YET!  Xfinity Connect texting surely does not cost them much as a mega corporation whose sole purpose is to provide technology  to the public and there have been other examples of how much its used for people who have no access to anything else to text. Texting seems to be what makes the world go round but BUT YET!  Its disgraceful.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Jesse: This is not an answer for the issue. <Edited>

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastJessie, I am open to a real discussion with Comcast about this issue.

Please contact.

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, this is what everybody is talking about. You will no longer be able to access this feature......soon.

Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastJessie 

OK -- now is the time for Comcast to re-consider this horrible idea of dropping the messaging service. 

I have two seperate elderly and bedridden neighbors that I need to keep in touch with -- especially during this crisis.  We are under mandatory lockdown here in N CA.

There is no opportunity for me to now re-teach these people how to use another app.

If you want to 'help' support your community, re-think this decision and the negative impact on your customers.

PLEASE CONTACT -- happy to chat.

Highlighted
Administrator

@Bumkitty wrote:

@ComcastJessie 

OK -- now is the time for Comcast to re-consider this horrible idea of dropping the messaging service. 

I have two seperate elderly and bedridden neighbors that I need to keep in touch with -- especially during this crisis.  We are under mandatory lockdown here in N CA.

There is no opportunity for me to now re-teach these people how to use another app.

If you want to 'help' support your community, re-think this decision and the negative impact on your customers.

PLEASE CONTACT -- happy to chat.

@Bumkitty 

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this decision has caused. At this time there are no additional updates to share. If there is anything more to share, I will be sure to update my Best Answer on this thread. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

@ComcastJessie 

Appreciate your quick response and realize there is nothing you in particluar can do but you may have more of an ability to rattle some cages than I or anyone else on this forum.

Thanks.  BK

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I agree with Bumkitty. It really is disgusting that Comcast would actually eliminate an entire vehicle  of communication at a time like this. At a minimum they could delay the elimination of texting services.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@mpastene wrote:

I agree with Bumkitty. It really is disgusting that Comcast would actually eliminate an entire vehicle  of communication at a time like this. At a minimum they could delay the elimination of texting services.

Yes...delaying would be the least they could do.  In this time of a pandemic they sure are being totally and completely rigid and not helping their customers cope.

Highlighted
Contributor

So, at this point -- since demonstrating a new app to my neighbors is now out of the question, I am trying to navigate the Google Voice product.  GV has proven useful in the past when I was without a physical phone, but now I can port my landline and hopefully receive messages that way.

To be continued...

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Indeed! In times of need like this, it's like they WANT and FORCE us to use other products to accomplish such tasks as COMMUNICATION! We are loyal ultil they give us no easy option. It's all dumb execution from the higher ups and the "helpers" here can only do so much.

Side note: I have a feeling that when this virus works it's way through our nation that things will change for the better. I have a very good feeling. But... Tut tut.... There will be a lot of pain as we ajust and things we once took for granted are stripped away just like this texting fiasco!! It may very well be pains bigger than losing a convient way of communicating (for some)! People's way of life will change forever. One gotta remermber this.

Highlighted
Contributor

@kge1 the form you suggested to file an FCC complaint is for telephone/fax issues regarding spam.

I dont think it will work for this situation.

Highlighted
Contributor

We need to rebrand their phone service as a 'retrograde' product!

Highlighted
Contributor

Seems like this is what Comcast wants us to do? They offer to send you texts about TV service restorals when there is a problem but then I guess you have to hire another carrier to get the texts? Ridiculous!

Highlighted
Contributor

@kge1 right -- it forces you to have a cell phone number.

As I said before, I believe Comcast wants to promote their own cell service -- the Connect app messaging feature cuts into that -- although my guess is minimally.

If this is indeed their motivation, or if they have decided Comcast Voice Messaging is too costly to maintain, then stop promoting "Triple Play".

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast pushed for you to bundle their VoIP phone service with internet and cable channels last several years. Now they want to truncate the phone service and reneg on product as advertised. This will blow up in their face by customers quitting phone service en masse. Unlike cable there are lots of other phone carrier services out there to choose from.

Highlighted
Contributor

No, if you look at the drop down list under Phone Issues you will find Availability (which would seem to apply in this case).  Use an appropriate Subject and Desription, takes less than 5 mins to complete, got a complaint ticket # back from FCC by email immediately. It can't hurt to do this. We can also complain to our senators and congressperson for them to press the FCC for action.

Highlighted
Contributor

@Bumkitty 
No, if you look at the drop down list under Phone Issues you will find Availability (which would seem to apply in this case).  Use an appropriate Subject and Desription, takes less than 5 mins to complete, got a complaint ticket # back from FCC by email immediately. It can't hurt to do this. We can also complain to our senators and congressperson for them to press the FCC for action.

Highlighted
Contributor

@kge1 interesting -- I do not get that choice in my drop down box for "Phone Issues" on Safari 13.0.5

My choices:

1.  --  [not a viable choice]

2. Unwanted Calls

3. Faxes

I'll switch computers/browsers in a bit

I'm with you -- complain!

Highlighted
Contributor

@Bumkitty 
Availability is between Junk Faxes and Billing on my Chrome browser

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Text messaging

I am sorry to see it go but when one door closes another opens.  I have downloaded google voice.  It is working perfectly.  I can not wait until my contract is over with comcast.  I have been a direct pay customer for over 39 years.  My direct payment out of my checking account each month is $193.00.  I feel I am being robbed each month.  Contract gave me TMC and texting - taken away - no adjustment to payment.  What a gig they have going.  I am expecially distraught for my fellow hijacked customers that we are unable to text when we are experiencing a world wide panadomic!!! When profits are more important than the peace of mind of a disabled American, my only satisfaction will occurr when my contact expires.  Thanks for the memories!