Community Forum

Dropping Xfinity Connect texting March 2020

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Dropping Xfinity Connect texting March 2020

So, when you get too embarrassed <Edited>, you just drop services, huh?

Pathetic.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity text messaging feature is going away 03/24/2020

Why?!!  First Comcast/Xfinity takes away Cinemax, then TCM (both now à la carte), and now the text messaging feature!  Perfect!  Glad I signed a 2 year contract, getting less for the same price.  I like Comcast, I do, but this is stupid - ridiculous!   Wonder what's next - for me, a loyal customer of many, many years?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Xfinity text messaging feature is going away 03/24/2020

So exactly what does this mean?  What is Xfinity Connect texting and how does it differ from standard text messaging.  

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am bundled with TV, Internet, and Phone.  I have a landline, only, and don't have a cell phone (and don't want one).   However, I can still text (until March).  It is a very nice feature!  My friends that do have cell phones can text me via my landline number.  I get a hard copy email of their text, as well as in the TEXT tab within Xfinity Connect where I can respond to them via my desktop cpu.  This is all through the Xfinity Home Page tabs.  The texting is going away as of 03/24/2020.   As for the TV I mentioned, that is pretty much self-explanatory.  Must all be part of Comcast's "The Future is Awesome" campaign.

If one has a cell phone, I doubt the texting change will affect them.  I don't know.

Hope that answers your question.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Texting being eliminated

I received your notification that as of March, 2020, texting will not longer be available. I expect the elimination of a service will be accompanied by a reduction in my monthly fees. Correct?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Texting being eliminated

I'm feeling the same. Xfinity continues to get rid of the features that brought me to this company, while upping all their prices. When will this end. They need some competition. Very angry 😤 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

On disability, rely on text from landline.  I can not afford a cell phone.  I enjoyed TMC but now can not afford to add on.  Signed a two year contract  which gave me text and TMC.  They took away but did not drop price or add on something. DISGUSTED!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Text

I received an e-mail today, 1-22-20, that text will be REMOVED from Xfinity voice on 3-24-20. We should thank Comcast for putting the you know what to us customers again. They just raised the rates BUT remove services.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am in the same boat. It is not worth having the phone service, if there is no way to receive a text message. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I would have not renewed and gone with at and t.  I have been a loyal customer at current address for 39 years.  Is there anything we can do to reverse this situation?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@wroloson wrote:

I am bundled with TV, Internet, and Phone.  I have a landline, only, and don't have a cell phone (and don't want one).   However, I can still text (until March).  It is a very nice feature!  My friends that do have cell phones can text me via my landline number.  I get a hard copy email of their text, as well as in the TEXT tab within Xfinity Connect where I can respond to them via my desktop cpu.  This is all through the Xfinity Home Page tabs.  The texting is going away as of 03/24/2020.   As for the TV I mentioned, that is pretty much self-explanatory.  Must all be part of Comcast's "The Future is Awesome" campaign.

If one has a cell phone, I doubt the texting change will affect them.  I don't know.

Hope that answers your question.

Thank you.  Yes it does.  Sorry Comcast saw fit to eliminate what sounds like a great feature.  One that I never knew existed, but can now understand why some want and need it.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Does anyone know if you can Port your Comcast Xfinity VoIP phone number to a cell phone service? Do I have rights to retain my Xfinity phone number?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

LIKEWISE. THEIR CHARGES ARE OUTRAGEOUS AND CS STINKS. FOR ME, THOUGH, THEY'RE THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN. GOOD LUCK.

Highlighted
New Poster

I AGREE with EVERY SINGLE WORD. I also signed a 2-year contract, and have had the same services/ channels eliminated that I signed a contract for, PLUS they have also dropped STARZ (except on demand) so I don't think viewers will be able to watch any new 'Outlander' episodes. ----It seems a binding contract is not a contract for Comcast!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

No, probably not.  Unfortunately, for the most part, I think these forums are simply a way for us to vent, complain, even share, without bothering (in this case, Comcast) anyone.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Texting should not be eliminated, it's part of what we pay for. I use it more than email.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Dropping Xfinity Connect texting March 2020

Terrible idea, and I too signed the 2 year contract and expect full services which were conveyed during it.  NO REASON TO DO THIS TO US! I want to keep my Text msg svc AND have them remove that notification (2 mos out) 'band' which takes up so much screen space it's not funny. <Edited>

Signed, 
A LONG TIME COMCAST CUSTOMER!

Highlighted
Contributor

YES! I'm in the same boat AND I can't text via a cell phone, I use my keyboard as I've a desk top computer. <Edited> IF CUTTING SVCS THEN REDUCE THE PRICE! I am like you, and expect the full gammit of services rendered WHEN I SIGNED MY CONTRACT! THEY ARE IN BREACH OF CONTRACT AND SHOULD KEEP THIS SVC UP!

Signed,

A VERY <Edited> LONG time Comcast Customer

Highlighted
Contributor

Your phone number is 'your' phone number... But for those who  can't afford buying another cell phone, and hoping that service accepts Comcast's platform is another deal... You'd (probably) have to transfer your 'phone' service to that cell provider in order to keep your number, of course Comcast will want you to keep them and just wait... I AM SURE THEY'RE GOING TO HAVE A FEE FOR THIS DOWN THE ROAD... FORCE YOU TO BUY THEIR "TEXT" FEATURE. Smaller and smaller piece of this more and more expensive pie! Time to fire the Baker!

Highlighted
Contributor

Agree, same deal happened to me too. HAD I OF KNOWN THEY WERE DROPPING THE TEXT SVC, I might of finally said "Bye Bye Comcast"! LONG TIME LOYAL CUSTOMER, heck, I pay my cable bill before I pay ANY other bill! Text more than email, and had my phone number for a milinia! DISGRUNTLED EXPONENTIALLY!!!!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I had posted a reference to the dropping of this text service on their Facebook page! They got the message! Hermmm. I am not moving to a cell plan yet! I abstained this long! I swear they want to add this text service as a different teir! I know they provide a cell service too... I guess they think that abandoning whom has already signed up for a two year plan <Edited>, esp if that was a perk originally!! Then there is that fine print.... <Edited>! Well exuse me, I'd say! We hold the dollar you get! And another thing, remeber those DTA outlets? They were like $2 rental not they are flipping $6 an outlet for CHRIMNEY's Sake! <Edited>.... I get it nothing is free.... Ugh.....

<Edited>

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I did find this about comcast number portability (2nd and 3rd to last bullet):

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/local-number-portability

Highlighted
New Poster

Any recommendations for alternate VoIP + SMS providers to switch to?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Google voice
Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Good question.  I'd recommend that you choose your cell phone carrier (or call more than one and then pick one), and ask them if your former VOIP (Comcast) number can be ported over to be your new cell phone number. I got my cell phone when T-mobile vendors were at Costco one day. It was free. I still have it, and like T-mobile.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yeah, that's a good one, refunding the 'price' for not including the services provided at the time contract signed (for 2 years). Dropping a Premium channel is one thing but removing the commincaative's ease in being able to text via my "home" phone is another... We want our texting features to be restored and not removed Comcast! Here our PLEA's! Here! Hear! (with an emphasize on the H E A R part!). Thanks for posting and sharing... Some 5K of us agree!

Highlighted
New Poster

I know each channel has a plus that's not in bundle. Amc premium. Sundance tv channel is in the bundle but all the good shows is extra the Sundance movie channel. It use to not be this way.
Highlighted
New Poster

Are we going to be able to text on our cell phones and not our landline
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

If it's going away with no word on what its being replaced with, I wish I knew of a more convinent way. Maybe a free texting app? I use wifi only coms. Each of us has different usage habits. There is no need for cell service where I am at due to the Xfinity connect hotspots! Cool thanks for that 😉 <Edited>

I wish they were upfront of where the text messaging feature is going. Is it being integrated with another feature?? I think they are doing this to have to get us to switch over to the cell plan to pay extra for the convenient cell service they NOW offer <Edited>! HUGE STEP BACKWARD I THINK Heh....

I used the text service very little but its handy for verification numbers when signing up for some sites. This is also needed for two factor autentication. This could force me into a cell service wich I been avoidning for years... Still might just face the consequence of backwards innovation....

Highlighted
Contributor

Here Here! <Edited>, especially as I signed a contractual agreement. I have a 'cheap' Tracfone I use in emergencies only as  my 'mobile' phone. My "home" used to be my landline (there rarely are real landlines anymore, it's all VOIP now) via Comcast for many years/decades actually. So now the data stream that was used/set aside in their Comcast Connect Ap for 'texting' data-stream is going away to support... what exactly? Moving that over to our email accounts, now more BLAST EMAIL speeds are 'free' or will we have a new "Al A Carte" for Texting via a 'home' phone? What'll that cost when they decide to bring it back, if they do? I'm hoping enough roaring occurs, they'll silence our squeaky wheels w/ grease RETURNING THIS FEATURE. But I highly doubt it. Yes, they want you to switch to their 'cell phone plan' and pay those fees ontop of your usual email/Internet/cable/etc bill. <Edited>/some group did the research and decided it wasn't too much of a loss to ALSO take this service away as they've done with other parts of their packaging. Thanks for your contribution and I've called and created a ticket how to resolve this, but no answer... of course. Just notices who comments on this 'theme' in this 'chat-room' <Edited>.  Wasn't fair with no real notice upon renewing my 2 year contract. I don't need another cell phone plan, I have a wired inhouse/HOME phone with a unique number for my area, and transferring my number to some other plan breaks my triple play bundle contract, and again it's a home phone and I like it! (So I'm transferring to Gmail's "Google Voice") You can set that up for free if you have a regular phone to back it up with, BTW. But it'll be a different phone number via Google (Chrome). Hope that helps, still, like many, I've had my number and been texting friends since this service began, and now to go through my address book and let them all know one phone's for 'calling' and another for 'texting' is a big confusing mess. Here Here to Google Chrome! 

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, if your phone number is attached to a 'mobile' phone and not a  previous land line type of phone, you'll be able to keep on texting as you have before. THIS feature was attached with our Internet/Email account, as an upper panel in "Comcast Connect" suite's offers. So a text msg would appear in our email account, then to reply you'd choose the 'TEXT' option off that email page, and reply, while also seeing the sender's messages. It'd be in BOLD font until you clicked on it to reply. It was a great feature for those older members to Comcast which had landline phones prior... IDK what  your texting amounts/data/space/storage limits are, but I expect that rate is also going to change (but if you're just texting and not streaming video, the amounts should be fine as they keep a bar and "Gig Amount" scale somewhere I bet to let you know if you've exceeded their rates. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Sorry, I meant if your phone number was your landline and duplicated to/onto your cell phone as well, then sure- you'll just text via your cell phone but I doubt you had that option (IDK if Comcast allows you to move your landline to your cell plan as the cell plan has their own platform/shared towers and you pay to 'use them'. If you have a Cell phone plan w/ Comcast and a land line phone plan, then your landline is no longer going to receive texts but your cell phone number will. If your numbers are different, then you'll still be able to text on your mobile phone number as you've been probably doing prior. Just the feature via your email / Internet (associated with your home/pre-landline)"Home" phone number will no longer be able to receive text messages via Comcast's Connect Ap via your email account as before, if you used that feature.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

This is truly a terrible loss of a valued feature . I have been a loyal customer for over 30 yrs. I  happen to have Xfinity Mobile cell service and Comcast digital landline but the numbers are different and thats the way it needs to be and I should not have to change that to accomodate this texting change.  I am retired and not tied to my cell so don't  keep it on when at home and to have to turn it on just to send a text is just ludicrous when all I have had to do was go to texting on xfinity.com on my desktop which is on all day. I just did it this morning to text my husband's cell. Its so convenient and losing it is just so unfair. Its part of Xfinity connect so why remove it? Surely it does not cost Comcast to have this feature for its customers. I was stunned to find out it will be gone in March and there is no acceptable  explanation given in the announcement. This is not the first valued feature that has been removed from the platform and yet the cost continues to go up. NOT HAPPY

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@conflatia wrote:

Good question.  I'd recommend that you choose your cell phone carrier (or call more than one and then pick one), and ask them if your former VOIP (Comcast) number can be ported over to be your new cell phone number. I got my cell phone when T-mobile vendors were at Costco one day. It was free. I still have it, and like T-mobile.

Just wanted to chime in that we have Xfinity Mobile and  Comcast digital voice landline and  Comcast  landline is NOT VOIP and we sure don't want to have the same number for cell and landline for oh so many reasons.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@TiredRetired wrote:

So exactly what does this mean?  What is Xfinity Connect texting and how does it differ from standard text messaging.  

I can text from my computer with the feature and don't have to turn on my cell phone just to send a text. Its been so convenient and useful. The texting feature is an icon on  the top of the email page.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@maxlechat wrote:

I received your notification that as of March, 2020, texting will not longer be available. I expect the elimination of a service will be accompanied by a reduction in my monthly fees. Correct?

Yep....just like all the reductions when they removed some of the premium movie channels and some cable channels. I did see a change in charges....They increased my modem rental last month.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Of course....and I'm sure they are doing it as a "customer service."  I blew up a some poor CS person over the increased charges. Arrrggghhh. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Totally agree.  I have a disabled son that I utilize texting with his driver.  Comcast still charges same amount with eliminating services that were on contract.  What a racquet!,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Just to let ya'll know...there is another interesting forum conversation thread on this topic. Usually a moderator will consolidate threads on the same subject but guess not this time.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Connect-App/Dropping-Xfinity-Connect-texting-March-2020/m-p/33...

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, I believe I've seen commercial ads for being able to keep your same phone number and moving onto their cell phone offerings. If you're bundled w/ comcast for your home phone and if it's that same number, dismantling your 'contractual agreement' may cost you. But some other cell providers are willing to pay that cancellation fee, too. Can always call Comcast and ask them directly to get the proper answer, from 'them'. Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, thanks for that link, and see below:

Will Comcast charge me any fees for porting my phone number?
We don't charge a fee for porting numbers to or from Xfinity Voice. When porting out of Xfinity Voice, you may incur an Early Termination Fee if you port out before the end of a minimum contract term.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While some cell carriers pay the cancellation fee, depends on how much this will cost you but as others in here, it is not fair, not right, a real need for many who are long time even short time Comcast customers. 

Highlighted
Contributor

If you have a Gmail account, you can set up 'Google Voice' for it. All you need is a back up phone to use for it and select  from their options your (area code) from your area first. At one point I had to select a TX area code as for my area, all the area code numbers able to be assigned were gone/all used up.

Timing is everything, and I bet Google Voice is getting a lot of action now <Edited> Comcast has done in taking away this feature but NOW advertising they're boosting WiFi (I don't need WiFi really as I'm a long time, continual 'hard wired only' customer!) My cell phone only works when I go outside, and the WiFi signal can be interrupted/corrupted and for my work, I NEED a strong solid signal so I NEED to be hard wired into my motem, as I work a bit from home! I CANNOT REALLY DEFINE THE GRAVITY OF THIS LOSS FOR MY PERSONAL , SOME PROFESSIONAL AND SOCIAL INTERACTIONS! AND TWO PARTY VERIFICATIONS WHICH NEED TO SEND A 'TEXT' TO YOUR PHONE NUMBER!!! MORE AND MORE OF THAT IS REQUIRED NOW WHEN YOU JOIN/BUY/SIGN UP FOR ANYTHING!!! RrrRRrRRrrrR!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

Totally understand your dilemma and it is unfair! Depends on where you reside  as  for the most part, real 'landlines' are more and more infrequent now-a-days, it's all via your motem which is technically VOIP. The wiring inside your home connects to your motem and your motem runs via your cable to the post/finally to the head end (used to work w/ Comcast). 

Now, you've added your comment <Edited>and someone posted it on their Facebook page, etc. Maybe, they'll bring it back at a reasonable price. I too love to be able to text via my pc, and in same boat. Don't want to text via my cell phone (for emergencies and many do NOT have that number for a reason... lol). Long story shorter, I now see big ads for Xfinity improving their WiFi offerings so I am suspect this is where they're concentrating their efforts, expanding WiFi and eliminating texting via our email/Internet Data space! BOO COMCAST... RrRrRRrr!

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@ShaynaFromFL wrote:

Totally understand your dilemma and it is unfair! Depends on where you reside  as  for the most part, real 'landlines' are more and more infrequent now-a-days, it's all via your motem which is technically VOIP. The wiring inside your home connects to your motem and your motem runs via your cable to the post/finally to the head end (used to work w/ Comcast). 

Now, you've added your comment and I am hoping if enough people complain, and someone posted it on their Facebook page, etc. Maybe, they'll bring it back at a reasonable price. I too love to be able to text via my pc, and in same boat. Don't want to text via my cell phone (for emergencies and many do NOT have that number for a reason... lol). Long story shorter, I now see big ads for Xfinity improving their WiFi offerings so I am suspect this is where they're concentrating their efforts, expanding WiFi and eliminating texting via our email/Internet Data space! BOO COMCAST... RrRrRRrr!

===

VOIP uses the public internet network and Comcast digital voice does not....thats why I don't call it VOIP. To me VOIP Is an antiquated method. I have  gigabit digital modem and use WIFI for cell phone and tablet at home (have to gently correct your spelling ) . When not at home I pray for hotspots and WIFI in doc offices because  I am NOT going to turn on  data  and watch my bank account shrink. Not many have my cell number either.

Highlighted
New Poster

I called <Edited>, Comcast corporate office and complained about losing the texting feature. He said if they hear from enough people, they might opt to reverse their  decision. <Edited>!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

DO NOT call the number <Edited> that eggted posted.  According to NomoRobo, it is a scam.

<Edited>

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I will call first thing tomorrow and contact friends that utilize the texting feature.  Thank you for your diligence and maybe there is a light at the end of tunnel.  Unfortunately,   I do not have a cell phone.

I and tied of comcast taking away channels etc. that were part of my two year deal.

I have been at the same address for forty years and have had the same cable company (different names but ended up being comcast).  <Edited>

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I would think  you could port your number over. Maybe try calling or visiting a couple of cell phone places and ask them first.

Highlighted
Contributor

A Party in this forum posted (below) that she called HQ for Comcast at: <Edited>

& spoke with someone to complain, reply stated if enough people complain, they will consider to leave it available and not end it... <Edited> - Thank You. 

Comcast corporate headquarters are located at:

One Comcast Center
Philadelphia, PA 19103

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Poster

I called <Edited>, Comcast corporate office and complained about losing the texting feature. He said if they hear from enough people, they might opt to reverse their  decision. <Edited>!