Community Forum

Cannot Change Xfinity Email Alias (name) associated with my email account

Regular Visitor

Cannot Change Xfinity Email Alias (name) associated with my email account

I've seen this topic discussed in other threads, but most of them are locked or "answered", not allowing any further replies.  I then ran into a secondary problem of being unable to send PMs!  So, out of frustration, I am making a new post here.  Please excuse me if it's redundant, but I had no other choice.

My issue is this:  I noticed that an email I sent to another account from the Xfinity Connect app on my phone used an all caps alias name, consisting of only my first name in all caps, and I wanted to change that to my first and last name. I did a bunch of research and got quite frustrated along the way, but eventually found the settings screen in the Xfinity Email web portal (not in the app itself; see attached photo), where I supposedly should have been able to change this incorrect email alias.  Unfortunately, the alias is grayed out, and I cannot change it!  I've had my Comcast Xfinity email address and internet service account for years.  How do I change this e-mail alias?  Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Untitled.jpg

Official Employee

Re: Cannot Change Xfinity Email Alias (name) associated with my email account

Sorry for your frustration.

If you click on your name in the upper right of the email, it should take you to MyAccount, which is where you can change your display name across all Comcast/Xfinity products.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you, ComcastBrett.  I followed your directions precisely and I ended up at another dead end.  No were in the Account Settings can I find a screen in which to edit my "display name".   I found a screen in which I can edit the "account holder's name", but that was already correct.  What am I missing?

Official Employee

matteo_g, are you able to send a screenshot of where you are seeing the name in all caps signed in your emails? The emails should sign with the settings you have under My Account > Users> username in question.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the follow-up, Tambrey.  I figured Comcast was stumped by my issue and had given up.  The issue I have is not with how the emails are "signed" per se.  It has nothing to do with the signature.  The issue is with the alias name in the "From:" section of the email header, that shows alongside my actual Comcast email address.  For example, whenever I send an email using the Comcast webmail portal, the receiver will see my email address and my full name as the alias next to it (account holder's name, which I can find and edit), which is correct.  However, whenever I send an email using the Comcast Connect App, the alias it uses is only my first name in all caps.  It is this incorrect alias that I cannot seem to find or edit either on my phone or in my account settings on my website.

Attached are three screenshots, the first two of which are examples.  (Some information was redacted for security purposes.)  The first example shows how an email was received when I sent it from my Comcast account using your webmail portal on a computer (www.comcast.net); notice the email alias is correct (first and last name, capitalized correctly).   The second example shows how an email was received when I sent it from my Comcast account using your Comcast Connect app on my iPhone; notice how the email alias is not correct (first name only in all caps).

I initially suspected there is an issue with the Comcast Connect app only, but I could not find any setting in the app itself to change this alias name.   However, back on my computer in my webmail email account settings, which I access by clicking on the gear icon, choosing "Settings", and then in the next window click "Accounts", I am presented with one choice which is an email account and an "Edit" button. When I click on the Edit button, I see the third attached example screen shot.  Given that the "Your Name" field is my first name in all caps, I suspect that this is what the Comcast Connect app is using as the email alias for all sent messages.  However, this field is grayed out and not editable from this particular settings view on my computer.

I hope the above and the attached are clear enough for you to understand the issue now.

1 - Correct Email Alias Example.jpg
2 - Incorrect Email Alias Example.jpg
3 - Comcast Webmail Settings View.jpg
Frequent Visitor

A lot of people have questioned my emails. Even though the account is in my name, the From box shows BRYAN K (husband's first name and MIDDLE initial). Our last name is Smith, so this K confuses recipients. Could Comcast at least provide an S for Smith please?!
Official Employee

@matteo_g and @bryanandleslie

I'm sorry for the naming issues you are experiencing. I had my team go in and try and clear some backend cached data to see if that helps you both. 

Please let me know if that doesn't solve the issues for you.

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the continued attention to this matter, Brett.  I just tried sending an email from my Comcast Connect app to another account, and from the receiving account's viewpoint, my email address no longer has any alias name at all (i.e. the "MATTEO" alias is gone and there is no alias showing whatsoever).   I am totally fine with this since it seems there is no place for us users to control the alias that is used by the app, and it's totally under the control of some deep, hidden system parameter withing the bowels of Comcast.  Best we stay away from that!  

I'm satisfied with this solution.  Thanks, again.

Frequent Visitor

Much improved! Thank you! Mine now says 'bryanandleslie' which will work just fine.