Community Forum

Adobe Reader issue

Frequent Visitor

Adobe Reader issue

When I receive a pdf attachment to an email in Connect, I can view it no problem but the Adobe Reader Tools aren't present so I can't markup or highlight the document before printing it.  And there doesn't appear to be anywhere to load the tools menu.  Is there a setting someplace in Connect that is stopping this?  reader opened from Outlook on another system works just fine.  Connect is so frustrating.

Expert

Re: Adobe Reader issue

Have you right-clicked the mouse while on the document to see what options you have?

Can you down-load the document to your computer?  If "yes", then exit your e-mail. Then open Abobe Reader. Under My Computer find "down-loads" and locate the document. Clicking on it should load it into your Adobe Reader with the tool-bar showing.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I'll try those.  Although the process has been to download the document and then click on the PDF Reader notification of the download (without leaving Connect).  I haven't saved the document to desktop and then tried to open the saved copy.  That seems like a lot of extra steps / time that other mail platforms don't make you go thru.  Maybe Comcast Connect is taking training lessons from QuickBooks ... they make you go through extra steps all the time.  Thanks again.

Edit .....  I just tried.  Right-clicking did not give an option to use Tools, or actually even to save.  It's a strange screen with the pdf image on it... just full black with very few icons present.  Anyway, one of the icons (a down arrow) allowed me to download the file to my Desktop, and when opening the file outside of Connect it did give the 'normal" Reader pdf screen view and allow me to use tools.

So ... there IS a way to use the tools, albeit a highly inefficient way.  But it still doesn't address WHY Connect does this and if there is any way inside of Connect to allow a normal presentation of a PDF attachment and utilize some of Adobe' Reader Tools.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Expert

@scottsgardens wrote:

Thanks, I'll try those.  Although the process has been to download the document and then click on the PDF Reader notification of the download (without leaving Connect).  I haven't saved the document to desktop and then tried to open the saved copy.  That seems like a lot of extra steps / time that other mail platforms don't make you go thru.  Maybe Comcast Connect is taking training lessons from QuickBooks ... they make you go through extra steps all the time.  Thanks again.

Edit .....  I just tried.  Right-clicking did not give an option to use Tools, or actually even to save.  It's a strange screen with the pdf image on it... just full black with very few icons present.  Anyway, one of the icons (a down arrow) allowed me to download the file to my Desktop, and when opening the file outside of Connect it did give the 'normal" Reader pdf screen view and allow me to use tools.

So ... there IS a way to use the tools, albeit a highly inefficient way.  But it still doesn't address WHY Connect does this and if there is any way inside of Connect to allow a normal presentation of a PDF attachment and utilize some of Adobe' Reader Tools.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

When I first replied I meant to ask if there was a "v" somewhere on the attachment.

I only have cable with Comcast. My e-mail is with msn.hotmail. My attachment worked the way you ended up too.

I suspect the changes were made to e-mails so attachments from others could not be modified for legal purposes. If we were dealing with a contract signed by the first party, we would need to download the attachment and print it. Then we could sign the attachment, or modify it, and create a new e-mail, scan it back into the computer and attached the modified document. This way no one can forge something mailed to them. We can modify a document be returned, but not change anything on the original mailed to us. I hope this makes sense to you.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I understand that no modification is allowed ... and in my desired result, the only "modification" was to highlight some fields and/or insert comments.  Both of those are allowed in the other email systems, and they are allowed if I open a saved version from my own drive ... but not if opened in Connect.