Community Forum

Adding Custom Ring Tones to Xfinity Connect App - Android

Frequent Visitor

Adding Custom Ring Tones to Xfinity Connect App - Android

I think that I found a way to add a custom ring tone for use by the Xfinity Connect app and would like to both vet it and see if there is an easier way...and to suggest Xfinity extend the article to iOS and other mobile OS', and doing this from other computer OS'.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active running Android 8. I want to add a custom ringtone to distinguish a call to my mobile from a forwarded call to my home.

- created and saved a custom ring tone (.mp3)  to my PC

- connected my phone to my PC  with a USB cable

- allowed my PC to see files on my phone

- navigated to [phone]/phone/Xfinity/Notifications

- noted the set of Xfinity ringtones was present

- pasted a copy of the ringtone mp3 file

- closed the application, waited a few minutes, re-opened the application

- noted and chose the new mp3 ringtone file

- tested by calling my home number from a third line

- smiled

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Adding Custom Ring Tones to Xfinity Connect App - Android

I have not been able to make this work. What application did you close - Xfinity Connect? Also, Did you choose the ringtone you added from xfinity Connect settings?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The world has changed since I wrote that. I am one phone and two versions of Android later. The new phone is also a Samsung Galaxy, so I used the Samsung app to move to the new phone. I was able to figure out how to do it with Android 10, but don't know how much is Android, how much is Samsung, and how much is the specific phone model. You may have to do some playing around to find what works.

I am assuming you have a sound clip to use - mine are mp3 in a known location on a PC and you know the Title attribute of the file as Title (vs file name) is what I saw on my phone. I was able to edit the Title attribute of the file on my PC by right clicking the file, selecting Details on the top menu of the pop-up, then clicking in the Title's Value field.

I started with my phone connected to my Windows 10 PC, so I could see and search the phone from my PC. I searched my phone for a folder called Xfinity. For me, the path was This PC > [phone] > Mobile Content Transfer > storage > emulated > 0 > Xfinity. I opened the folder named Notifications in the Xfinity directory on the PC, verified that the Xfinity ringtones were in the folder, then dragged and dropped my new ringtone file into Notifications. A few seconds later, the file with the original file name was visible in the folder on my PC.

On the phone, I opened the Xfinity app and tapped Settings, Notification Settings, Call Notifications/Incoming Call. It was turned on, so I tapped Incoming Call, then Sound. I saw the file Title (not file name) on the (very long list as it included Slack, Yahoo, Hangouts, and a bunch of others) list and touched it to review and select, then backed out to the Xfinity application. I didn't take the time to find another phone to call my home number to see if the ring tone on my mobile application was working properly.

Hope this helps and trust you will tell me if it does not.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks.  Didn't have much luck. I have an LG G8Thin and the process may be different from Samsung. I don't understand the Title attribute vs file name. I right clicked on the mp3 file I saved on the PC, selected properties/details. This is were I got lost since I could not select the Titles Value field.

I copied the mps file on my pc to the xfinity folder on my phone and then selected this ringtone file in the xfinity settings as you described. When I call my home phone from a 3rd phone, my cell still has the same ringtone as incoming cell calls 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry to hear of your troubles. It sounds like you did everything correctly. You are using the Xfinity Connect app? The mp3 files I tried are under 300kB.

Whether you could change the Title is moot as you were able to see the file in the Xfinity folder on your phone along with the existing Xfinity-provided ring tones. That should be all that is needed. I just tested with a third phone without a problem. I assume that when you selected the new ringtone, your phone played the one you wanted. Beyond that, all I can offer are Force Stopping the Xfinity app in Settings/Apps [While you are in there, double check the App Settings/Notifications to ensure they are allowed and the Incoming Call notification is the one you want], removing and re-installing the app, asking Xfinity for help (good luck with that), and sharing a few other settings from the app. I have:

- Call Forwarding/[home number]/Advanced Call Forwarding (Simultaneous Ring) turned on and Selective Call Forwarding disabled.

- In the same screen, the Xfinity Connect Mobile app is on.

- Backing out to Call Preferences, Launch by default is on and in Voice2Go Call Settings, Sound is set to the correct file. It should be as this appears to be the same setting you changed before.

Apologies I could not be more help.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks. I'll play around with it some more. I set my cell ringtone from the phone sound settings and selected the imported mp3 ringtone from the xfinity connect app. Calls to the home phone still ring from the selected cell phone ringtone.

I contacted xfinity, but they couldn't help. They elevated to a higher level tech support and will call me someday.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Good luck. It sounds like you did everything I did, so there must be some magic setting I didn't think (or find) to share.