Community Forum

streaming on laptop

Regular Visitor

streaming on laptop

why has my computer streaming been messed up since, oh, idk labor day weekend?  I remember I kept getting message on screen "update now better viewing" or something like that and I dont remember even clicking it anyway.....streaming unwatchable  and I want to downgrade or lower my rate since I can no longer stream xfinity content.

Expert

Re: streaming on laptop

@whichdoctor wrote:

why has my computer streaming been messed up since, oh, idk labor day weekend?  I remember I kept getting message on screen "update now better viewing" or something like that and I dont remember even clicking it anyway.....streaming unwatchable  and I want to downgrade or lower my rate since I can no longer stream xfinity content.

there is no extra charge for streaming your recordings or live channels. What are you using to stream? desk/laptop? smart device? do you receive error messages/error numbers?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

i have the same problem. I can sign into xfinity stream. I can choose a program or movie or whatever. I can start it playing. It takes an extremely long time to load and then when it plays it jerks. Sort of a play, play stop type of thing.
I have used three different browsers, cleared all caches, nothing works.

Started the Thursday before Labor Day.  I have called in four times about this and comcast has done nothing about it. I can stream any other service on my laptop with no problems (netflix, hulu, amazon). Comcast just doesnt seem to get it. They insist on sending a signal to my router every time. Why?????? It doesn't help. Ive told them it doesnt help. They want to send out a technician. I keep telling them that there is no problem with my internet. It has to do with a problem on xfinity/comcast's end of things.

Just submitted my fourth ticked that is supposed to be escalated and fixed by tomorrow. But that is what they said the last three times.

Expert

@karkar22 wrote:

i have the same problem. I can sign into xfinity stream. I can choose a program or movie or whatever. I can start it playing. It takes an extremely long time to load and then when it plays it jerks. Sort of a play, play stop type of thing.
I have used three different browsers, cleared all caches, nothing works.

Started the Thursday before Labor Day.  I have called in four times about this and comcast has done nothing about it. I can stream any other service on my laptop with no problems (netflix, hulu, amazon). Comcast just doesnt seem to get it. They insist on sending a signal to my router every time. Why?????? It doesn't help. Ive told them it doesnt help. They want to send out a technician. I keep telling them that there is no problem with my internet. It has to do with a problem on xfinity/comcast's end of things.

Just submitted my fourth ticked that is supposed to be escalated and fixed by tomorrow. But that is what they said the last three times.

if the smart devices (apple - android) work fine then it is the computer that is the issue. you might try using ethernet to see if the wireless access is the problem. I have two Chromebooks that are very inexpensive and they stream without issues while an older HP running windows 10 (originally win7) struggles due to lack of resources.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I'm sorry but this is not user error, configuration error on the user's part or any other user problem.

The long and the short of it is that this is a comcast/xfinity problem.  Started shortly before Labor Day weekend and is still not fixed. This is what was reported back to me directly from them when I reported my problems. it is a problem with the stream website.

Expert

@karkar22 wrote:

I'm sorry but this is not user error, configuration error on the user's part or any other user problem.

The long and the short of it is that this is a comcast/xfinity problem.  Started shortly before Labor Day weekend and is still not fixed. This is what was reported back to me directly from them when I reported my problems. it is a problem with the stream website.

the streaming website is working fine. did you try another PC? rebooted PC? performed OS updates?

Highlighted
Contributor

Ditto! This started for me on August 30th 2018 on my PC. Before then it worked fine. Since the 30th Aug it has been choppy, stuttering with a play-play-stop type of rythym. I don't want to stream on my phone or tablet, just on my PC. All other streaming sites I use work and always HAVE worked since the above date with no, none, zilch, zero problems (Hulu, Netflix, HBO, History Channel, Amazon, etc. etc.)!!!!!!!

• There is no app for PCs, but they keep telling me to use the app. ?????
  • It's a national problem they're working on it
  • It's not a national problem, it's my signal. Sending out a technician. Mind you, all of my other streaming services work fine, EXCEPT XFINITY STREAM. No tech ever showed up.
  • It's a problem with the Xfinity Stream website. Just a few setting changes to my account on support's end and it'll be fixed. NOT!!
    • They did this three times.
  • This one made me laugh! I use another email account for notification emails from COMCAST/XFINITY. Mind you, this is just a forwarding email address so I don't have to sign into my comcast.net email
    • It is an option for notifications and I have had it set up this way for SEVEN YEARS. It is NOT a comcast user ID, it has NO password, nothing to do with anything other than to receive email. I was told THREE TIMES, repeat THREE TIMES that this forwarding email address, just an email address, was the problem and that I had to SIGN IN TO MY ACCOUNT with this email address. 
      • Problem is, there is no logon data for this email. No password, no verifying questions, no anything. It is just an email address.
      • My problems viewing Xfinity Stream started two months ago, not seven years ago.
    • It took me 45 minutes to explain this to customer support, they could not understand why I couldnt sign in with this email address with no password or user data.
    • Ha Ha
  • After explaining the problem as clearly as I could, the support rep wrote on my ticket that my problem was I couldnt get online. even though he knew I was online because we used different browsers to try to see if this would help the problem. Which it didn't.
  • For every call except the first one and the last one I made to support, Chrome was the preferred browser for xfinity stream... until it isn't. Then it was firefox, opera, internet explorer, bing, edge and not chrome. still no luck.
  • I was promised that they would fix the problem by the next day and would call after 1 p.m., waited six hours. no phone call.
  • The last I heard, was I was having a problem at my end and need a tech visit (sound familiar????????) And guess what, no tech ever showed up for that appointment. wasted another half day waiting.

I have called on this SEVEN TIMES!!!!!

I have cleared caches, reset routers, sat on the phone for hours, updated as needed, downloaded, reset, restarted, used five different browsers.

Remember all other streaming services  work. Anyone have a clue.

Tags (1)
Contributor

@Rustyben in answer to your question: 

did you try another PC? Yes before I made the post you are replying to - three different machines, three different ages and from a gaming system to a basic system

rebooted PC? Duh!

performed OS updates? Again Duh!

Contributor

rant

Friday, October 26, 2018

12:10 AM

Ditto! This started for me on August 30th, 2018 on my PC. Before then it worked fine. Since the 30th Aug, it has been choppy, stuttering with a play-play-stop type of rhythm. I don't want to stream on my phone or tablet, just on my PC. All other streaming sites I use work and always HAVE worked since the above date with no, none, zilch, zero problems (Hulu, Netflix, HBO, History Channel, Amazon, etc. etc.)!!!!!!!

• There is no app for PCs, but they keep telling me to use the app. ?????
  • It's a national problem they're working on it
  • It's not a national problem, it's my signal. Sending out a technician. Mind you, all of my other streaming services work fine, EXCEPT XFINITY STREAM. No tech ever showed up.
  • It's a problem with the Xfinity Stream website. Just a few setting changes to my account on support's end and it'll be fixed. NOT!!
    • They did this three times.
  • This one made me laugh! I use another email account for notification emails from COMCAST/XFINITY. Mind you, this is just a forwarding email address so I don't have to sign into my comcast.net email. 
    • It is an option for notifications and I have had it set up this way for SEVEN YEARS. It is NOT a Comcast user ID, it has NO password, nothing to do with anything other than to receive email. I was told THREE TIMES, repeat THREE TIMES that this forwarding email address, just an email address, was the problem and that I had to SIGN IN TO MY ACCOUNT with this email address. 
      • Problem is, there is no login data for this email. No password, no verifying questions, no anything. It is just an email address.
      • My problems viewing Xfinity Stream started two months ago, not seven years ago.
    • It took me 45 minutes to explain this to customer support, they could not understand why I couldn't sign in with this email address with no password or user data.
    • Ha Ha
  • After explaining the problem as clearly as I could, the support rep wrote on my ticket that my problem was I couldn't get online. even though he knew I was online because we used different browsers to try to see if this would help the problem. Which it didn't.
  • For every call except the first one and the last one I made to support, Chrome was the preferred browser for Xfinity stream... until it isn't. Then it was firefox, opera, internet explorer, bing, edge and not chrome. still no luck.
  • I was promised that they would fix the problem by the next day and would call after 1 p.m., waited six hours. no phone call.
  • The last I heard was I was having a problem at my end and need a tech visit (sound familiar????????) And guess what, not tech ever showed up for that appointment. wasted another half day waiting.

I have called on this SEVEN TIMES!!!!!

I have cleared caches, reset routers, sat on the phone for hours, updated, downloaded, reset, restarted, used different machines, etc. etc. etc,

Given that all I've done, that all other streaming services have always worked fine, this problem started Aug 30, 2018, it worked fine before Aug 30, it hasn’t worked a day since.

Anyone have a clue?????? Obviously, a tech visit didn’t work…..

Expert

Running real windows (not a VM) like windows 10 with a real Chrome browser will work. using linux etc will not work neither will the jail-broken android installs. A very cheap modern Chromebook (linux private maintained secure OS) plays the Xfinity stream perfectly. The newer Chromebooks can even run 'the stream app' for android but will not allow a download. Whatever you are using (including wifi path) seems to be the issue.

Regular Visitor

ditto for me right around labor day.....there's something they are keeping secret. differenct browsers do the same thing.  I HATE COMCAST

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue, and it started around the same time. Anything I play is slow to load and choppy.

Comcast changed something, and they just won't own up to it. I mean are customers supposed to buy all new devices because XfinityStream all of a sudden stopped working on their current devices? Is that the solution they're pushing? Really?

And to pretend it's user error is horrendously bad customer service. I'm starting to understand why people pirate TV shows and movies. 

New Poster

Same or similar issue here.

5 year old 17" Dell Inspiron Laptop

I3 CPU (dual core + hyper-threading)

AMD 4300 series discrete graphics

6GB RAM

Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 bluetooth 4.0

Windows 10 (fully updated)

Latest update of IE11, Chrome, Firefox browsers

Latest available updates of all drivers

Latest updates of Flash and Java

Don't recall when issue started, but two to three months ago seems about right.

I prefer IE11 over other browsers but loaded Chrome and Firefox to troubleshoot the issue.

Problem is most noticeable in IE11 and least noticeable in Firefox, but still noticeable enough to be an unpleasant viewing experience.

The issue presents itself as a halt or freeze of just the video (not the audio) at a one second interval then the video will skip frames to catch up with audio. In IE11 the video freeze will last almost a full second, whereas in Firefox the freeze is only around 2/10ths of a second (but still very noticeable). As noted in some of the above posts, this issue only happens with Xfinity Stream Website. It is not an issue with other streaming sources such as Netflix, Hulu, Broadcast Network sites, Youtube, etc.

Through trial and error, I think I have narrowed my problem down to an issue between Comcast's iteration of Flash Player used on the streaming site and my Bluetooth, which I use to broadcast my laptop audio to my external speakers.

Sometimes I can get a smooth video by going to the Flash Player Manager in the Windows Control Panel and  choosing "delete all site data and settings", "delete all audio and video license files" and "deauthorize this computer" and then restart the computer but that does not always work and will usually only work for the first video played. Next video, the problem is back.

If I turn off my Bluetooth radio during playback (using the Bluetooth button on the  notification panel) the video and audio will lock up (permanent pause). I can use the jump forward/back buttons but it will not play again without restarting the browser. If I disable my Bluetooth adapter through the Windows Device Manager and then try to play a video, it plays normally, but I'm stuck with laptop speakers and if I try to re-enable the Bluetooth Adapter after I've started the video, I get a BSOD with KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE.

I'm thinking maybe that the issue might be associated with the DRM in the Xfinity version of Flash Player. That would also explain why the commercials preceding some of the content play smoothly and the following video play with the chop. The commercials are unprotected media, whereas the videos are DRM protected. It might also explain the multiple monitors/graphics adapters problems. I'm figuring that Xfinity's version of Flash Player either has problems with recognizing legitimate external or multiple media devices like Bluetooth speakers or multiple graphics adapters, or the security in their player is dialed down so tight that it is purposefully downgrading or crippling the stream when it detects any of these "suspcious" devices because they might be trying to pirate the stream.

Contributor

The question is when will they fess up and fix it?