Community Forum

"Well, that didn't go as planned" error message on DVR service.

Contributor

"Well, that didn't go as planned" error message on DVR service.

I've been having an issue with one particular recording ... I get an error screen that shows "Well, that didn't go as planned" without any error codes. Here's what I've tried to resolve the issue.

I receive the error when I ... 

- attempt to watch the recording using an iPad and the most current xfinity Stream app.

attempt to watch the recording using an iPhone and the most current xfinity Stream app.

- attempt to watch the recording using an Windows 10 desktop and Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

- attempt to watch the recording using an Mac OS X laptop and Chrome and Firefox.

I then checked to see if I could watch other recordings through the iPad, iPhone, laptop and Windox box and I can watch every other recording EXCEPT the one that started me down this path. 

I rebooted the DVR and tried the above and received the same error message.

I then synced the DVR and tried the above. I still received the error message. 

I also tried to see if I could watch the recording directly from the DVR on the TV and it plays fine. While it lets me watch the show, this doesn't solve the error problem on other devices.

There is something going on with this particular recording. I'd usually just watch it on TV and delete it. But this is the third time in a month this has happened so I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and how they solved it. 

Thx ..

IMG_4864.jpg
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: "Well, that didn't go as planned" error message on DVR service.

@Rick11629 wrote:

I've been having an issue with one particular recording ... I get an error screen that shows "Well, that didn't go as planned" without any error codes. Here's what I've tried to resolve the issue.

I receive the error when I ... 

- attempt to watch the recording using an iPad and the most current xfinity Stream app.

attempt to watch the recording using an iPhone and the most current xfinity Stream app.

- attempt to watch the recording using an Windows 10 desktop and Chrome, Firefox and Edge.

- attempt to watch the recording using an Mac OS X laptop and Chrome and Firefox.

I then checked to see if I could watch other recordings through the iPad, iPhone, laptop and Windox box and I can watch every other recording EXCEPT the one that started me down this path. 

I rebooted the DVR and tried the above and received the same error message.

I then synced the DVR and tried the above. I still received the error message. 

I also tried to see if I could watch the recording directly from the DVR on the TV and it plays fine. While it lets me watch the show, this doesn't solve the error problem on other devices.

There is something going on with this particular recording. I'd usually just watch it on TV and delete it. But this is the third time in a month this has happened so I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and how they solved it. 

Thx ..

Since your other recordings stream fine, it is probably due to a corrupted recording on your cloud dvr, there's not much to do about it. The recording on your phyical dvr is not the same recording as the one on your cloud dvr and theres no way to transfer it to the cloud dvr

Contributor

Thanks for the info! Well .... it now looks like ALL my cloud recordings are corrupted. Any recording that I have made AFTER June 14, 2018 I get the same error. 

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

Thanks ... I gave support a call after I posted my message. They went through the same troubleshooting I did and we got the same result. So they have escalated it and opened a Tier 2 Tech Support Ticket. They are supposed to call me today by 8 PM or anytime tomorrow.  I'll report back what happens so that others will know if they have teh same issue.

Official Employee

Hi @Rick11629

Sorry for the experience you're having. Feel free to reach out if you don't hear back from anyone. I can look into this for you as well. 

Contributor

Thankdfor reaching out. Nobody called on Saturday or Sunday as promised. It left me not knowing what was going on. That means I could have called and said "What's going on?" but my experience has been unless I have a direct contact number for a Tier 2 technician, I won't be able to reach anyone who could give me an update. Instead I was forced to use the app myself and see if it was working. 

That said, it appears the issue was resolved Monday with the following unresolved issues.

- Previous recordings from June 14th through June 17th are not availble.

- Recordings starting from late Sunday the 17th  are now available.

Contributor

Well.. the problem has returned. I'm going to call for support again.

Contributor

I contacted tech support and they informed me that they tried to call my home phone  yesterday, 4 days later than when they were supposed to. They called my home phone and stated that they were not able to not reach me but left voice mail on both my home and alternate numbers at 4:37 PM. Since they didn't reach me they "parked" the ticket. 

I requested that they call me on my cell phone, not my home phone. Regardless, I did NOT receive a phone call or any voice mail on either line. 

Becuase my phone is with Comcast, it's easy enough to pull up the log. Right now, Wednesday isn't showing but I will post that when it's available.

Bottom line ... This issue has been going on for a week now. Cloud DVR still isn't working. Still haven't recieved a call. And had to call back and reopen the ticket again. 

Expert

@Rick11629 wrote:

I contacted tech support and they informed me that they tried to call my home phone  yesterday, 4 days later than when they were supposed to. They called my home phone and stated that they were not able to not reach me but left voice mail on both my home and alternate numbers at 4:37 PM. Since they didn't reach me they "parked" the ticket. 

I requested that they call me on my cell phone, not my home phone. Regardless, I did NOT receive a phone call or any voice mail on either line. 

Becuase my phone is with Comcast, it's easy enough to pull up the log. Right now, Wednesday isn't showing but I will post that when it's available.

Bottom line ... This issue has been going on for a week now. Cloud DVR still isn't working. Still haven't recieved a call. And had to call back and reopen the ticket again. 

@ComcastChe in a few posts above your may be able to help. see his post.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

I have the exact same issue. The error happens on all devices and on the Stream app. I have a ticket in with support to see if we can get to the bottom of it. Seems really odd that multiple people would have the same corruption issue.
Expert

@bdungy wrote:
I have the exact same issue. The error happens on all devices and on the Stream app. I have a ticket in with support to see if we can get to the bottom of it. Seems really odd that multiple people would have the same corruption issue.

@ComcastChe in a few posts above your may be able to help. see his post.

Regular Visitor

Having the same problem here.  Haven't been able to stream any saved content to the Roku Xfinity App or the Android Xfinity App since sometime last week.  Cannot download saved shows to devices either.  I can watch any recorded show directly from the X1 DVR device and Live streaming anywhere mostly works fine.  Browsing the Xfinity Forums and Redits seem to indicate this is a widespread problem with no explanation or ETA for a fix. 

New Poster

Comcast/Xfinity doesn't care. They would just as soon discontinue the streaming function as it is a legal problem for them.

Contributor

I'd say call it in. That's what I had to do .. and you need to stay on them. It needs to be elevated to a Tier 2 tech. They will run you through their testing and you have to let them complete that before they will elevate it. It took over a week for them to solve mine and 3 phone calls.  

New Poster

My service problem was expedited to a level 2 tech 3 days ago. I just received a phone call from Xfinity Customer Service checking to see if my problem has been resolved, which it hasn't. The Customer Service person told me that this had been a problem for others for about a week. I told her that it had been an issue for over a year based upon comments from customers on the internet. All they want to do is try to appear proactive about fixing this problem.

New Poster

We are having the same problem! Were they able to fix the issue when you waited for them to do it over the phone??

Regular Visitor

Yep, still having this problem, going on 2 weeks now. Haven't called it in, since so many others are having the same problem.  I assumed that Comcast must know how widespread it is, but I will probably call tomorrow if it's not fixed by then.   Hoping if enough of us bug them, they'll finally admit it's a problem on their end, but not going to hold my breath. 

Frequent Visitor

Same problem... can't watch anything after 6/26 off my DVR on any device or online. Really a pain since I'm remote this week and would like to keep up with my shows!!! This going on for weeks is ridiculous!

New Poster

I have the same problem. Saved programs on my Dvr are not available to my Laptop,my tablet, and cell phone.

Currently being restricted to watching saved programs in my living room.  

Why am I paying 2018 prices for 1980s service? At least, in the 80s, I could move the Vcr to another room.

Contributor

I'd say keep calling and make sure they don't close your ticket! That's what they did to me and they even said they left a voice mail. Since I have a phone with Comcast, it was pretty easy to prove that nobody called me or left a voice mail. And they didn't credit me for the disruption of service either. 

With all these errors popping up, I wonder if it's a series of drives that are failing.  I remember a tech explaining to me that the recordings on the DVR are local and the recordings for the streaming app are in the cloud.  Maybe all the drives are about the same age and now they are getting multiple drives failing? And it's takling them some time order new ones through their purchasing cycle. 

I really don't know .. but iteh end result is it's pretty frustrating.

New Poster

My system is back online - sort of.. Programs saved after 0200 this morning will play. Anything recorded for the previous week is only accessible through home DVR. Everything is fine as long as it works for the next three weeks during that little bike race in France.
New Poster

Same result for us as Smudge01

@Smudge01 wrote:
My system is back online - sort of.. Programs saved after 0200 this morning will play. Anything recorded for the previous week is only accessible through home DVR. Everything is fine as long as it works for the next three weeks during that little bike race in France.
Contributor

I know it isn't the best resolution but at least it's back. I'm planning on calling about a credit since my service was out so long. I'd like to suggest everyone else do the same. After all, we were paying for a service that wasn't working.
New Poster

Xfinity was hacked. Every part of Xfinity. I have this on good authority. They are telling customers whatever they need to to placate them... and, there is no end in sight. All of my services are out - from my internet to my home security. I have been told everything from "a fiber optic line was cut" to "a firmware upgrade corrupted our network and had to be rolled back" to "they are overloaded and dont have the correct people to run the place".