Community Forum

"There's a problem with DVR playback"

New Poster

"There's a problem with DVR playback"

I often watch the recordings from my DVR on my computer. Today I tried to watch but it said there was a problem but I could watch on demand instead. Needless to say, I want to watch my programs commercial free. That's why I have a DVR in the first place. I tried unplugging and replugging my X1 but that didn't fix anything.

How do I fix this?

Screenshot (91).png
Expert

Re: "There's a problem with DVR playback"

@natesplace19010 wrote:

I often watch the recordings from my DVR on my computer. Today I tried to watch but it said there was a problem but I could watch on demand instead. Needless to say, I want to watch my programs commercial free. That's why I have a DVR in the first place. I tried unplugging and replugging my X1 but that didn't fix anything.

How do I fix this?

you can watch the episode on your home DVR. the error means the Cloud DVR either didn't record or the recording is corrupted and can't be streamed.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Were you able to get a fix o your problem? I am having the same problem!!! It is so frustrating. I do not believe the answer you received is correct, as the app shows that it recorded and is under the saved recordings, but I get the same frustrating message that you got. If you have a fix that worked, please let me know. Thank-you

Official Employee

There’s a fix coming for those errors by the end of the week

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

It's still not working! I've been having this problem for months and its honestly ridiculous. "there's a fix coming by the end of this week" well it's a new week, where is this "fix"?? I travel a lot and I've been unable to watch my recordings for months, I'm so over this!
New Poster

Having the same issue.  What's up?  

New Poster

Why does OnDemand work, but DVR does not? 

New Poster

There shouldn't be a problem! What is going on? We pay over $200 a month and this is the service we get? First we get the remote recording option taken away and now we can't even watch what we've recorded from our home set. Are you trying to get us to cancel our subscription?

Expert

@PDX0808 wrote:

There shouldn't be a problem! What is going on? We pay over $200 a month and this is the service we get? First we get the remote recording option taken away and now we can't even watch what we've recorded from our home set. Are you trying to get us to cancel our subscription?

you are complaining to Comcast about your browser and local setup. The website is fine and needs nothing but an up to date operating system (no *unix) and a browser like Chrome that has flash enabled. try using Chrome with the flash extension turned 'off' (will turn off flash blocking).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

DVRplayback has been a problem for Days. Says recordings have been moved to a mobile device and will need to be move back to DVR. What the heck does that mean. I only watch recorded shows from home.
Expert

@clartx1 wrote:
DVRplayback has been a problem for Days. Says recordings have been moved to a mobile device and will need to be move back to DVR. What the heck does that mean. I only watch recorded shows from home.

when you have completed recordings on the cloud DVR, up to 10 can be downloaded to smart devices (apple or android). the download will play up to 30 days and will not be available in home until returned by the mobile device. Are you able to check the authorized mobile apple and android devices physically to see what is listed in the 'downloads' menu item on the Xfinity Stream TV app?

Frequent Visitor

So in my case the problem lies with the capacity is what I am thinking is causing my problem watching recordings on the computer. When I log into Stream on the computer it shows I am in the red so it say's I’m at 98% full capacity but when I am in the DVR watching on TV with the box it says I am at 22% capacity. Not sure why there is a vast difference between stream online and the actual DVR but that is for the developers to figure out unless they are storing stream in another “cloud” as opposed to the box. So if your storage on stream goes in the red the playback says there was a problem and you need to watch it on On Demand. I confirmed as a QA analyst that getting my "online" usage back in the green buy deleting some recordings that I am now able again to stream those shows that gave me the error "Watch on OnDemand". Typical I am assuming that Comcast developers are not in sync with what is on the "DVR" as opposed to the what is on Stream cloud version but I assumed it was the same cloud where the information is stored both DVR and stream but who knows. So in MHO it is a developer issue that should be resolved. Both DVR (TV) and Stream should indicate the same percentage of storage.  

Official Employee

The physical DVR and the Xfinity Stream app/website are taking 2 different measurements. The DVR uses hard drive space as a percentage, the cloud measures time, cloud only holds the last 60 hours recorded and isn’t a mirror copy of your physical DVR

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Then when the cloud reaches a percentage in the red then the recordings are failing directing you to watch OnDemand. . 

Frequent Visitor

Check your code

New Poster

I got this message this morning...Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 7.28.30 AM.png

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. I pay for this service and it seems more and more is being lost. No ability to setup or delete DVR scheduled recordings and now this. I was told to buy the Roku and Xfinity took away the ability to watch that outside of the home. They want us to use their services, but their services are no longer up to par. If this is a contract negotiation issue, they need a new negotiator.

New Poster

The dvr playback is not just computer. I am having the same issue on my ipad. Why do features get take away in silence?  It’s really getting so that you would have better options with a roku stick and just drop Comcast all together. As a 20 year customer that spends a lot of money on cable, it’s just not meeting expectations. 

New Poster

Was there ever a fix for this? I have been experiencing the same problem this week. I am watching DVR shows on my television, not the computer. My DVR is not full and Comcast chat doesn’t seem to know of any issues like this. Obviously there are.
Expert

@Heicher77 wrote:
Was there ever a fix for this? I have been experiencing the same problem this week. I am watching DVR shows on my television, not the computer. My DVR is not full and Comcast chat doesn’t seem to know of any issues like this. Obviously there are.

when watching on your television, is the television connected to your X1 set top box? is the recording very old (before june 2016)? what happened when you selected the program to play? error messages and error numbers?

New Poster

I have the same problem on lots of recordings.  The recordings are from things that are current, not super old.  Happened today 3/4 of the way through an hour long recording.  It is happening fairly frequently to me now.  I'd say it is happening on about 20-25% of my recordings.  I get the "You can still watch this on demand" complete with the no fast forward which is doubly broken.  One, it means you have to watch ads and that is a no-no for me.  Two, I'm 3/4 of the way through the program, I would want to fast forward the part I've already seen, not watch 45 minutes again.

This has been happening a lot for the past few weeks.

Occasionally this is fixable by restarting the recording and/or skipping over the section where it freezes, but often nothing works and it is just completely broken.

New Poster

Yes, the tv is set up to the box. The recordings are from within the week, most times from the same day/night. It starts out working fine. I am noticing the error is appearing when I fast forward through commercials. It says it “found another way for me to watch” and regardless what network the show is on, I can’t fast forward at all. I know that when watching some of these channels “on demand” fast forward is a usable function typically. Last night I kept “resuming” the DVR after I would get the error. It would work until I tried to fast forward. I would get the same error again.
Regular Visitor

I've been having the same issue for the last couple days, too.   Yesterday I was able to exit out of my DVR recording and then go back into my saved recordings an play the recorded episode that was giving me the error fine.   Today, same error message happened multiple times.  This time exiting out of the DVR and try to play the recording did not work.  I still got the error message.   Both days the recordings were of live events (MLB Playoff Games) so a next day recording was not an option.   So, I opened up my iPad to see if I could play the same recording there and YES it played just fine.  This told me the recording was fine.   I went back to my DVR and opened the saved recording and was able to pay it just fine.    This error is not with the actual recorded episode, but has to be  somewhere in the playback feature within the DVR itself. 

New Poster

I have the same problem with freezing, programs, not recorded, etc. Also, the quality of the recordings are not as good as the original version. Like much of Xfinity’s hardware, the DVR is sub par. I used to have Directv (not available in my current complex), and for ten years, I never had these problems.
New Poster

How do we move this to get resolved?  This is happening to me over 50% of the time on recorded shows.  Closer to 80%.   And it appears this has been going on since March.

Can someone from comcast weigh in?

Expert

@Typhune wrote:

How do we move this to get resolved?  This is happening to me over 50% of the time on recorded shows.  Closer to 80%.   And it appears this has been going on since March.

Can someone from comcast weigh in?

what error message/error message number you are seeing?

New Poster

Ok, this problem is STILL going on.  It is now December 6, 2018 and I am getting the exact same error. 

Here is a cut and past of the error:

You can still watch this On Demand.

Unfortunately, there’s a problem with DVR playback. The good news? Unfulfilled is available On Demand. Keep in mind, Fast Forward and other functions may not be available while watching On Demand.

When will this error be fixed?

New Poster

UPDATE:

I did the following and it seems to work now.  I'm not sure which of the steps was the trigger to make it work, but they all seemed to come together.  I am streaming on my Windows computer using Firefox browser.

1)  I cleared my browser history including all history and cookies.

2) I unplugged my cable box, waited 10 seconds, and then plugged back in.

3) Waited for the cable box to reboot.

4) Once the cable box rebooted, I pulled up Xfinity stream on my history-cleared computer.

5) I logged in to my Xfinity account and went to streaming.

6) There was a brief error saying that streaming was not available at the moment, but I just clicked on the button to proceed.

7) I clicked on my recordings and picked my program and it started streaming.

So this all worked for me.  Good luck everyone!