Community Forum

please disconnect the secondary output before playing video

New Poster

please disconnect the secondary output before playing video

When I use xfinty on demand app on my cell phone and start watching a show. I plug in my mini hdmi converter from the phone to a large screen tv this pops up " please disconnect the secondary output before playing video. Any reason Why ?

Tags (1)
Official Employee

Re: please disconnect the secondary output before playing video

msmi603 wrote:

When I use xfinty on demand app on my cell phone and start watching a show. I plug in my mini hdmi converter from the phone to a large screen tv this pops up " please disconnect the secondary output before playing video. Any reason Why ?

Due to licensing agreements, our content providers require that we block external output on the Xfinity TV Player App and the XFINITY TV App.

Sorry,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

New Poster

Then how is it I can watch programming when HDMI is not connected?
New Poster

Joe, this is a policy that must be changed. I'm also very unhappy about this. I can watch this on a tablet but if I want to plug in a larger screen, or use a Mini Android Client, I can't??? STUPID! I pay for access to the content, in parallel with internet service. Comcast makes plenty of money off of me. I don't watch 3/4 of the standard channel programming, and now this restriction to OnDemand? I already have Amazon Video and Netflix. I wonder why I would even pay for Comcast channel content at all? Keep up this stuff, and you guys will soon just be a data pipe, with other providers going "over the top". Nothing personal Joe, I'm sure you're a nice fellow.

Contributor

I agree completely.  No other streaming app on my ipad or Galaxy tab block streaming to an external device like a tv.  Netflix, HBOGo, Amazon Instant Video, CBS, NBC, ESPN, all stream the content just fine over micro-hdmi to any of my tv's.  Comcast is the only one, and the excuse about licensing agreements with the content owners is a pure lie.  Why wouldn't any other streaming app block secondary output like Comcast?  This really stinks, and if I could get a solid satellite signal with ANY sat provider, I would switch in a heartbeat.  I bought a Kindle Fire HD for my kids specifcally because we wanted to have all the Xfinity kids content available for them to watch in their rooms via hdmi.  Of course, Comcast blocks it so that we would be forced to rent more boxes every month.  Another horrendous executive-level decision from a company completely out of touch with their customers.  

New Poster

What is the difference between hooking up my computer to my tv and streaming xfinity content vs hooking up my kindle fire to my tv and streaming xfinity content  This makes no sense.  Get in the game Comcast.  This means I'm looking for other apps to replace your crippled one.

New Poster

Well, I just purchased a google TV.  And it happens to connect to my TV with an HDMI cable.  Getting the same error, so I can not even watch what I paid for.  This is the same dung they offer with the M-cards.  We pay for our content and they decide what we can watch. it is all about the revenues they are missing from the rent of their awefull STB's/DVR's.  I guess the best choice is Dish or DirectTV with the slingbox.  I know dish has it built in to some of the STB's,  Or you can purchase it from them for a whopping  $99 (You own it BTW)  and then I will be able to watch LIVE content as well as VOD/DVR recordings.  Here we sit in the  21st Century and Comcast is still not wanting to move forward and provide its customers full service.  It is all about "we have a faster internet it seems" rather than we are the best full service provider on the Planet.    But my new google tv is great with Netflix, Crackle and of course YouTube.

PS.  Kodak jsut came out of backruptcy, their stock use to be 180+ a share now 18 cents.  Reason was they developed the first digital camera, but the executives decided it would cut into their profitable film business! LOL  Let the tech's run the company and watch it soar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copy being sent to FTC/FCC.

New Poster

This is outrageous.  If this is not taken caren of soon, I will cancel the premium channels and go to basic cable.  I cdan see most of what I want on Netflix, which works fine with the Kindle.

New Poster

My friend had the same problem and found the remedy.  Single the Google TV devices do NOT have a primary display (ie They have no screen) they get this error since the TV is set as the secondary.  Stupid, eh?  In any case, you have to dig into the settings and set the HDMI output as the Primary.  I am still scouring the net to find the instructions on doing it. I know it is possible though, so there is the hint to make it so.

New Poster

I too have encountered the same problem attempting to connect my cellphone/tablet to my TV;. I attempted to call Comcast directly about this problem and they transferred me to their pay for service help line. I understand all this big business stuff Comcast but having the ability to connect my app to my TV is a must and ignoring your customers and not fixing this problem is the easiest way to start losing them
New Poster

This is horrible. I was shocked to have this issue. I can use this application on my pc and play it on any screen I want but if my wife wants to use her Kindle Fire HD in our room and plug it into our room's HD TV she gets this message!

All you are doing is trying to force us all to get a cable box in every room in our house. Punish us for using the things made available to us. Real nice Comcast.

New Poster

I just wanted to add that in the same room I have a internet ready blu-ray player. It is new and I haven't ran the ethernet cable yet but it will allow me to do what the Kindle Fire HD is being prevented from. Using the Xfinity app on my large bedroom HD TV. Doesn't make sense.....

I understand this must have something to do with piracy or something but this is going too far. Even for Comcast. While not as good the Netflix app for those interested doesn't prevent you from playing what you want threw the HDMI on your TV. So a decent alternative but I would rather be using the Xfinity app. Just can't with the Kindle Fire HDMI output to TV. Comcast has again let us down.

New Poster

Does this administrator Joe understand that some Android devices the only output is an external output? Now this app is completly useless I cannot watch anything.. guess it makes sense to cancel my service thanks comcast.
Frequent Visitor

You got that right. This no secondary output is silly. As soon as I am sure my wife and I will not need to move for work reasons I plan to give Directv or Dish a try. My only issue might be having to keep Comcast for internet. I know the internet from Dish can't meet the needs but if Fios speeds things up and gets to my area I might have that for a option also.

By needs I mean the data limit. I already have 150gigs used this month. Not just work related but I have two sons with a Xbox. A few games and demos can add up fast. Think the highest Dish offered was 30gigs of data per month. I laugh at that. I could cap it out in a week.

Anyway this is me saying I would love to leave Comcast but feel trapped. I need what others don't offer. I don't want a two year contract and I no one offers the internet Comcast does in my area. Someone give me a better option please!

New Poster

This has nothing to do with piracy, or liscencing, it only has to do with the almighty dollar.  By limiting the output, Comcast ensures that you can only watch their content in their app on a small device.  This was not always the case.  When I first got my phone with a HDMI out, the app would play on my TV.  In fact, it was a major selling feature.  Suddenly, 6 months later, it no longer plays.  Comcast cannot tell me that it has anything to do with anything other than money, and make it convincing.  I pay comcast Nearly $200. a month (phone, internet and cable) and would love to find a way to tell them to jump in a lake.  I pay for content and should be able to access it as I see fit.  So sholuld anyone that has a contract with them.

New Poster

Joe,

Seems you have some rather unhappy customers, what is Comcast doing to address this issue?

Frequent Visitor

I totally agree. I pay for digital HD tv and for internet. I can watch video on my computer that I cannot watch on my tv. I could watch video on my ipad WITHOUT a stupid app AND I could connect my ipad to my computer and watch the video on the large tv screen. Now I cannot watch video on my ipad without the app and with the app, I am unable to watch the video from my ipad on my tv. I get the audio and a message "We're sorry. Because of network protocols lspecified by our network partner, you can enjoy this great video on your mobile device only". I'm sorry too. I am paying for content on internet and on my tv - so how can the "network partner" and/or Comcast decide what I can watch on what device in my home??? This seems illegal - not providing the service I am paying for. The comcast customer service blames it on the app - but Comcast created the app and put the block in it. Comcast customer service also won't transfer you to anyone above them to discuss the policy.

Contributor

For those with Android phones or tablets,

I haven't been able to confirm this yet, but if you uninstall the newest Xfinity player app and install the old one, from before the downloading capability, you should still be able to play video via HDMI output.  As soon as I get my new tablet, I'll be able to confirm.  Of course you'd lose the downloading capability, but if HDMI is important to you, this may be worth it.

If anyone has an Evo 4G original phone, that phone can be rooted and the software updated to allow HDMI
AND downloading - which is what I have! 

New Poster

This forum is a waste of everyone's time.  Comcast needs to fix this.  The people on this forum can't change how Comcast operates. 

It is ridiculous for Comcast to refer us to this form for a solution to a problem they created and only they can fix.

New Poster

I've recently used the hdmi output on my Laptop to connect to a TV at a condo I rented.  I logged into Xfinity, went to the tv section and watched most of my favorite shows on that TV. How does that differ from using an android device or cell phone the same way? Why block the output from the cell phone, Ipad or Kindle and not the laptop? Am I missing something?

New Poster

It shouldn't but Comcast says it does because of some privacy clause. I personally believe this is just a way for the company to again hurt the customer and force them into buying multiple cable boxes for 10$ a month or whatever they go for. What Comcast needs to understand is their customers are financially hurting and working one over on the working man is just encouraging that customer to find service elsewhere.  Might I mention I tried to talk to customer support about this matter and they referred me to a pay for service support division. It seems like it's all about cash flow and less about customer care.

Contributor

I was considering trying to modify the Xfinity player app to allow HDMI connections.

I then found this great app for android: http://www.amazon.com/TV-Portal-Stream-Movies/dp/B00BSWKNDI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

They also have a website:  tvportalapp.com

Read the FAQ about how to use the app, and also about how to download videos.  The app is free, but ads pop up.  There is a pay version to get rid of ads.

I may monkey with the Xfinity player app, but at this point it would be just for fun, because TV portal does everything I need.

New Poster

I have the same problem when using the xifinity app. If you have slingbox this will do what you wanted the xfinity app to do. With your kindle HD and your slingbox you're connect via hdmi to your larger screen. It's like having a second dvr without the rental of a Comcast box.
New Poster

This isn't a huge deal for me because I have an Xbox 360 Slim that I use as both a media center extender with my HTPC running a usb Ceton tuner and also as my VOD unit. BUT, this is why I don't do updates, and you know I have automatic updates turned off. However, I would like to see a copy of this/these licensing agreement(s). I've tried the new version of the player and while it's cool that it allows certain shows and movies to be downloaded for offline viewing, the no HDMI output is a deal breaker. So I uninstalled it and re-installed the last version that I know of that has the HDMI output enabled. FYI the version I always revert to is 1.0.4.002.

On a side note, why doesn't the app include broadcast networks?

Frequent Visitor

Just tried this last night on my Toshiba Thrive android tablet (with full sized HDMI port built in). I was furious when I realized that I could play everything off my tablet on our big screen *except* Xfinity streampix. Unbelievable that we pay for video streaming service, yet we are forced to watch it on a tablet. Sure it's nice to watch an occasional show or two in bed on your tablet, but I am really peaved about the requirement to remove the secondary video output (HDMI) before the app will allow you to play the videos on a secondary device. Unreal. I even purchased an HDMI pass through/charging docking station for my tablet too, but it's pointless now.

Frequent Visitor

We are coming to a point in time when more and more people are just getting rid of cable TV in thier homes. When a cable company does something like this it is just another reason to drop them and look for service from another company or just get rid of cable period. All you need is the internet now and you can watch almost anything you want when you want on your time.

If something like this really does upset you. The best thing you can do is speak with your wallet and cancel your subscription. Believe me, if I didn't have four kids that watch the TV it would be goodbye to Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

FYI, the old xfinity app trick no longer works...you can successfully install it, but it errors on every button press, like there is no data connection. This is ridiculous. Call me Comcast. I will be happy to quit my job and take over head of operations, since you can't seem to keep up with today's customer's needs and wants.
Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

post by CommiecastSucks removed

Forum Guidelines

(which everyone should read before making his/her first post) state

Please Don't

2. Use Profanity

Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked.

Frequent Visitor

U did NOT "move" the discussion - your link is broken & says 'you dont have permission to view this topic'
Frequent Visitor

Same here!

Problem Solver

willspy4u wrote:
U did NOT "move" the discussion - your link is broken & says 'you dont have permission to view this topic'

It's been moved to a section for deleted posts, so for regular users it's effectively been deleted.

Frequent Visitor

Haha, right on man, I just got one of those 'non-widescreen capable' antique cable boxes as a part of my new plan. Only thing it's good for is the MC music stations. Thanks for chiming in again galiskner, we were all curious as to what you could have possibly said to get your post blocked.

So Comcast, can you get your marketing execs to sit around the big table and hash out ways to better serve your loyal, tech savvy users, instead of coming up with these ridiculous, insignificant ploys to frustrate what amounts to probably .00005% of your consumer base? Who's the Comcast exec that decided that eventually, there was going to be some nefarious crook that would take his Android tablet to a football game, sneak into the control booth, and illegally project an episode of Yard Crashers on the Jumbo-Tron? C'mon Comcast, have a little faith in your users, and give us back the secondary output we desire as paying customers!