Community Forum

closed captioning

Frequent Visitor

closed captioning

Can someone please explain the no captions issue on Xfinity streaming website only on IE11 and MS Edge?  

Expert

Re: closed captioning

@Pa-Chris wrote:

Can someone please explain the no captions issue on Xfinity streaming website only on IE11 and MS Edge?  

try using chrome browser for streaming. they incorporate the flash into the browser so you should not have the same problem. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately Chrome and Firefox only support up to 720P from what I can see.  I've tried both browsers and while the closed captions work fine, the video and audio is somewhat choppy.  I've got around 70 Mb/S download speed so I don't think the connection is to blame.  On Microsoft browsers, I get a much smoother stream so I can watch Netflix, Hulu and others with closed captioning.  It's just Xfinity Stream that doesn't show Captions.  Very frustrating.  Sounds like an Xfinity issue to me.  Comcast service rep told me that they don't support Microsoft Edge.  It's clearly stated on their website that EDGE, Chrome and Firefox are recommended for streaming!

Here's the direct quote from the Support website:

"Supported Browsers

XFINITY Connect officially supports the following browsers:

For PC

• Internet Explorer 8 or higher
  • Firefox 26 or higher
  • Chrome 31 or higher

For Mac

• Firefox 26 or higher
  • Safari 6.1 or higher (with Mountain Lion OS)

For optimal performance we recommend these browsers:

• Firefox 3.5 or higher
  • Safari 3 or higher"

I've also tried Internet Explorer 11 numerous times.  Same issue.  I have IE11 setup just the way I want it so that would be my preference.

Bronze Problem Solver

@Pa-Chriswrote:

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately Chrome and Firefox only support up to 720P from what I can see.  I've tried both browsers and while the closed captions work fine, the video and audio is somewhat choppy.  I've got around 70 Mb/S download speed so I don't think the connection is to blame.  On Microsoft browsers, I get a much smoother stream so I can watch Netflix, Hulu and others with closed captioning.  It's just Xfinity Stream that doesn't show Captions.  Very frustrating.  Sounds like an Xfinity issue to me.  Comcast service rep told me that they don't support Microsoft Edge.  It's clearly stated on their website that EDGE, Chrome and Firefox are recommended for streaming!

Here's the direct quote from the Support website:

"Supported Browsers

XFINITY Connect officially supports the following browsers:

For PC

• Firefox 26 or higher
  • Chrome 31 or higher

For Mac

• Firefox 26 or higher
  • Safari 6.1 or higher (with Mountain Lion OS)

For optimal performance we recommend these browsers:

• Firefox 3.5 or higher
  • Safari 3 or higher"

I've also tried Internet Explorer 11 numerous times.  Same issue.  I have IE11 setup just the way I want it so that would be my preference.

I get CC on MS edge, after video starts playing, click on gear icon for settings (lower left corner), click on CC setup, click update. After doing this it worked on my system

Frequent Visitor

Still no luck..

Expert

@Pa-Chris wrote:

Still no luck..

have you tried to use the chrome browser?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!