Community Forum

cant watch dvr on laptop

Contributor

cant watch dvr on laptop

today sundely i am not able to watch programs i have recorded on my dvr,  on my laptop. I open chrome. click on bookmark say conecting to experinces. it conects shows all recorded programs as normal. Then when i select a show it just shows 3 dots and will not load. I have windows 10. have tried loging out and in. restarting laptop, modem, and dvr tv box without any luck.ty also cleared catch and cookies in chrome.

On edit i was able to stream useing microsoft edge. Maybe someone can explain to me why i had to start useing chrome instead of firefox because sound is messed up. I now cant use chrome to stream because it will not load. so i must use microsoft edge.

ON another edit i got chrome to work but the sound is distorted. Now all browser have distorted sound. I can watch on demand fine but i record shows so i doant have to watch commericals. when my wife and son get home i will try on their laptops. all other streaming works like youtube. is only on comcast site.

New Poster

Re: cant watch dvr on laptop

I am having the same problem, it was working on Monday (though very poorly) but as of Wednesday night, it won't load - the same issue with the three dots. I tried to watch the same program on my phone, but whenever I tried to fast forward through commercials it started skipping all over the recording and I couldn't get it to play for longer than a few seconds. It only worked when I let the commercials play. 

I have contacted them twice, they don't seem to know what the problem is. They reset my box remotely last night but the problem is not with the box, it's with the online streaming of DVR shows. My theory is they are trying to push everyone off of online DVR and towards On Demand, which they seem to be starting to charge for - on top of what we're already paying for cable. It's ridiculous. Will update if I get a better answer for you. 

New Poster

Same thing here.

The problem is only with Chrome. I tried watching DVR videos on Internet Explorer and it works.

Also, we cannot start a recording from the app on our phone or even from the laptop anymore. We can only setup a recording from the box from home.

Services provided by Comcast is getting really bad ... not worth it anymore !

Regular Visitor

After two hours on the phone with Tech support I was told there is litigation involving Tivo that forced them to remove the functionality.  We can no longer  record content to our DVRs from a laptop, chrome won't even let you watch what you already have recorded.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/tivo-sues-comcast-x1-patent-infringement-1202661161/

Regular Visitor

Last night Chrome wouldn't allow me to watch content stored on my DVR as it had not for the ppast three days.  IE was found to be working finally last night after two calls and two hours on the phone with tech support.  This morning I wake up and IE doesn't work anymore either.

This is really unacceptable, considering I pay over 2k a year for this service that I am unable to use use as promised when it was sold to me.  I am off to go buy a few Tivo boxes since I am getting no relief or assistance from Comcast.  No need to pay for service from Comcast they refuse to provide

Contributor

this is some weird bug i have found with chrome if i click on "for you" i can stream again but if click on "recordings" i get the three dot thing loop.

New Poster

Thank you Stormspotter ! it works !

Frequent Visitor

Same with DIRECTV, so don't bother to switch it worked in 2016 because it shows a movie I purchased for my Christmas present for myself! And a few other shows from DVR. I have a feeling it's the copyright law that says your able to watch for personal usage and there afraid you can use your DVD ROM on the laptop, because my Son gave me a copy of Bourne Supremacy that was the only one I didn't have. After spending along time with tech support on DTV and them still insisting that as long as you have Flash player you can watch on laptop! Nope because Flash player isn't compatible with windows edge and chrome is getting rid of it. I finally see on the DTV community that you have to have genie go to view on the laptop why would a person with one TV and live in a apartment want to genies? Rules keep changing and because of outsourced people no one knows what is what.

I don't want anymore community form email! I don't have time to delete thousands until I can figure out how to only get the ones I looked at
Tags (1)
New Poster

@Customer70.  I'm having the exact same issue as everyone else.  I also have the same feeling as you.  I've been looking at these forums for the past two hours and none of these issues are being fixed by Xfinity.  They don't seem to care and I'm getting really annoyed by this.  They charge so much money and don't fix problems for their customers.  I'm having several issues with watching recordings on my laptop.  This 3 dots issue.....cloud on laptop is 99% full, but home DVR is only at 38%.....etc.  These issues go all the way back to the beginning of 2016 and I only find workarounds.  No actual fixes. 

Xfinity....if you are reading this.  FIX YOUR ISSUES.  It's getting ridiculous.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Xfinity-TV-website-is-no-longer-working/td-p/28...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Cloud-DVR-deleted-recordings-but-should-have-ple...

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XFINITY-Stream-Website/Cloud-dvr-recordings-corrupted/m-p/3007523

New Poster

I have the same problem except I use Chrome and have been going round and round with tech support for three weeks now.  The initially insisted it was an issue with my browser until I pointed out I could stream from the for you recently recorded webpage fine but not from the saved recordings webpage.  I updated the browser and it still was the same issue.  Then they tried to tell me it was my modem (I don't rent theirs I own my own)   They escalated my ticket to the highest level three tech support who after four more calls who told me it was an issue with my internet service signal being weak and a technician visit would be needed. He came today and found no issue with my internet and so he called in and a woman read him some memo about there being a "known issue" with the streaming portal and that until they resolved it you could not watch your DVR recordings over the internet, he then hung up his phone and apologized because there was nothing he could do and he left. I am just really tired of my time being wasted, being lied to and paying for service I cannot use. All I want is what they promised me I could have when I signed this two year contract, the ability to manage and watch recordings on my DVR from anywhere.  They seem to have broken their streaming portal hurridly trying to comply with the courts order they stop infringing on Tivo's patents and just aren't willing to confess that is the issue. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-lawsuit/tivo-hits-comcast-with-new-round-of-patent-l...  It used to work very well, now it's mostly useless for those of us that record content to watch without commercials or travel extensively for work and expect to be able to watch or schedule on the go as we were promised when we signed up.

New Poster

Its because Tivo is suing copmanies like Comcast for patent infringment https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-lawsuit/tivo-hits-comcast-with-new-round-of-patent-l...  

New Poster

Not sure about where you live, but on the west side of Houston, there is no one to buy service from except comcast and dish and I m counting the days until I can get Uverse here.  I had comcast for 25 years until one day I was just tired of their complete lack of customer service and after 25 years I moved to Uverse because I had great customer service from them on my mobile phones.  I was never so happy with a cable service as I was with Uverse.  Unfortunately I moved four miles down the road and found I could not get Uverse at the new house and was forced to go back to Comcast. This experience with the DVR and streaming portal has confirmed for me as soon as I can find a suitable option like Uverse I will be done with Comcast forever.

Frequent Visitor

Glad I found this thread.

Same problem.

I noticed this week that I can't watch recorded shows on my laptop (yes, I'm using Google Chrome).  I can watch them on my iPad.

Live streaming works on both.

I spent about an hour on the phone last night with Customer Support.  Clueless.  Worthless.

What will it take to get Comcast to fix this problem?

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, stormspotter!

Regular Visitor

Im having the same problem on my chromebook. If I go to tv.xfinity.com>saved>recordings>program>watch , I get the three dots and the window is non-responsive. If I go tv.xfinity.com>for you>just recorded>program>watch, the recording plays fine.

The issue seems isolated to tv.xfinity.com, as everything works fine on my main x1 box, Roku's, and ios apps.

Official Employee

Hi @swieland

I was able to follow the steps you provided to see if I could duplicate this issue and the same thing happened to me. Since you are currently working with my peer @CCAmir on Reddit, I'm going to close this conversation so we don't have too many people working on your account at once. If there's anything more we can assist you with in the future, please feel free to reach out. 

Regular Visitor

I have exactly the same problem as you've described.  Xfinity streaming worked on Chrome (Windows 10) on my laptop just a couple months ago and won't run well now.  Works fine on Firefox and Edge.  Yet, it'll run on Chrome on my desktop (Windows 10).  Really appreciate the tip to watch at least some of the programming via "For You."  Called Xfinity tech support today, spoke with first rep then level 1 tech rep; they offered no solution or explanation.  So looking forward to seeing what others discover to fix this very annoying issue, VERY ANNOYING.

Regular Visitor

It's fixed!  Can't tell if the fix was Chrome or Xfinity, but it works again for watching recorded programs.