Community Forum

can't turn off closed captioning

Regular Visitor

can't turn off closed captioning

can't turn off closed captioning following changed display layout in Chrome. I did not turn cc on and am very annoyed by such setting changes that accompany layout changes without warning.

Expert

Re: can't turn off closed captioning


@skeptical4ever wrote:

can't turn off closed captioning following changed display layout in Chrome. I did not turn cc on and am very annoyed by such setting changes that accompany layout changes without warning.captions1.jpgCaptions streamsite


 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Visitor

Re: can't turn off closed captioning

Don't treat me like I'm stupid! There was no "off" button on the popup launched by the control you pointed out, and no close button either. Once launched, the settings popup could not be closed without closing the browser window and reconnecting. The closed captioning just appeared on its own, coinciding with layout, menu, and behavior changes, and not triggered by any action on my part.

 

It turns out that there was a platform update which messed up the display, including the setting you pointed out. The required fix was clearing all cache and history and relaunching the browser. This I learned via chat.

 

That kind of conflict of data is exactly what is supposed to be shaken out in QA prior to launch. THis is not the frst time setting preferences have been changed by coder error during an update, including the device being treated as a new device by the site when it is not. It's just sloppy coding and a lack of thorough QA.

Expert

Re: can't turn off closed captioning


@skeptical4ever wrote:

Don't treat me like I'm stupid! There was no "off" button on the popup launched by the control you pointed out, and no close button either. Once launched, the settings popup could not be closed without closing the browser window and reconnecting. The closed captioning just appeared on its own, coinciding with layout, menu, and behavior changes, and not triggered by any action on my part.

 

It turns out that there was a platform update which messed up the display, including the setting you pointed out. The required fix was clearing all cache and history and relaunching the browser. This I learned via chat.

 

That kind of conflict of data is exactly what is supposed to be shaken out in QA prior to launch. THis is not the frst time setting preferences have been changed by coder error during an update, including the device being treated as a new device by the site when it is not. It's just sloppy coding and a lack of thorough QA.


captions2.jpgCaption showing control

as you can see the on/off control is there.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Visitor

Re: can't turn off closed captioning

You should stop replying now. I wrote that the popup did NOT have an off button, and it did not. It was messed up. It did not look like your image capture. You are NOT helping and do NOT understand the problem.

Expert

Re: can't turn off closed captioning


@skeptical4ever wrote:

You should stop replying now. I wrote that the popup did NOT have an off button, and it did not. It was messed up. It did not look like your image capture. You are NOT helping and do NOT understand the problem.


is your problem resolved now?


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).