Community Forum

can't cast xfinity to chromecast

New Poster

can't cast xfinity to chromecast

Can't find the cast option on my Samsug Galaxy 4 to stream comcast/xfinity progarms I recorded. WSorks with my laptop.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: can't cast xfinity to chromecast

@birdlady00wrote:

Can't find the cast option on my Samsug Galaxy 4 to stream comcast/xfinity progarms I recorded. WSorks with my laptop.

Yes, casting is blocked using a mobile device, but works using a pc.

New Poster

you mean natively? through chrome?? what a joke.
Bronze Problem Solver

@tvguy225 wrote:
you mean natively? through chrome?? what a joke.

The xf app blocks mirroring on mobile devices. The mobile OS's reports whether mirroring is being used, if it is, the app won't allow streaming.

New Poster

Criminal. Xfinity seems to consistently strip their customers of products they pay for (dearly).

Expert

actually the use of a TV as a 2nd screen is allowed via a PC. use the Chrome browser and start streaming then press the icon (should be in your Chrome tool bar) and select the device and it will start streaming to the Chomecast dongle. (just checked to be sure still worked and it did)

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Shouldn't be expected to own a PC computer to stream television service to your television when you are paying for it. If I want to be able to stream it from my phone while my phone is on my home wifi, and my TV is on my home wifi, I should be able to do so. Not everyone owns a computer.
Expert

@Jenzabell wrote:
Shouldn't be expected to own a PC computer to stream television service to your television when you are paying for it. If I want to be able to stream it from my phone while my phone is on my home wifi, and my TV is on my home wifi, I should be able to do so. Not everyone owns a computer.

that is the only way to cast to your TV. you pay for TV service. the stream capability is a free service and hooking up a TV screen bypasses Comcast's revenue model.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I am paying for it, just the streaming service, and not able to use it. Ridiculous! Amazon does the same thing with chromecast. It's silly
New Poster

RIGHT??????😖😖😖
New Poster

Except the part where I pay 100$ a month for my cable service account that I can stream cast on my phone; but not if it's casting! WOW. Blackmail Much?
New Poster

I wonder why everyone is cutting the cable 😂😂😂
Expert

use a desk/laptop and the chrome browser and you can cast to a chromecast device (it is a grandfathered function).

New Poster

Hey Rustyben - have you tried casting from a Google Chrome browser page lately? We just set up Xfinity service, and I'm having issues with my Samsung smart TV with built-in Wifi... I go to Xfinity Stream on my laptop and try to cast to my Chromecast dongle (gen 1) via Google Chrome. It works for 1-3 seconds then the video freezes (audio continues) even though on my laptop the video is playing fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Bryan

Expert

@evergreengunnie wrote:

Hey Rustyben - have you tried casting from a Google Chrome browser page lately? We just set up Xfinity service, and I'm having issues with my Samsung smart TV with built-in Wifi... I go to Xfinity Stream on my laptop and try to cast to my Chromecast dongle (gen 1) via Google Chrome. It works for 1-3 seconds then the video freezes (audio continues) even though on my laptop the video is playing fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated! -Bryan

your connection to either or both of the dongle or laptop is not sufficient or the PC is lacking resources. I just tried from a win10 pc and a very inexpensive chromebook to my gen 1 dongle and it works fine.

New Poster

Re: Can't cast xfinity to chromecast (July 2019)

As of July/2019 I have not been able to Cast from Google Chrome using Cromcast...Not sure what changed.

Official Employee

Re: Can't cast xfinity to chromecast (July 2019)

As of July/2019 I have not been able to Cast from Google Chrome using Cromcast...Not sure what changed.

coyotenegra, Thanks for posting! Where are you casting it to?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@evergreengunnie wrote:

your connection to either or both of the dongle or laptop is not sufficient or the PC is lacking resources. I just tried from a win10 pc and a very inexpensive chromebook to my gen 1 dongle and it works fine.

@Rustyben I am having the same issue.  Other systems such as Youtube, HBO, Netflix, ect... all work from their sites.  It is only Comcast that has this issue

Expert

@eathompson2294 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@evergreengunnie wrote:

@Rustyben I am having the same issue.  Other systems such as Youtube, HBO, Netflix, ect... all work from their sites.  It is only Comcast that has this issue

you must be using a pc or chromebook (not linux) and the chrome browser to use chromcast. be sure the chrome browser is up to date (menu: help>about). then open the xfinity stite and select the top right 'three stacked dots' chrome menu. go down from 'new tab' to cast... 

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@eathompson2294 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@evergreengunnie wrote:

you must be using a pc or chromebook (not linux) and the chrome browser to use chromcast. be sure the chrome browser is up to date (menu: help>about). then open the xfinity stite and select the top right 'three stacked dots' chrome menu. go down from 'new tab' to cast... 

@Rustyben Check for all of them and the same problem happens

Expert

@eathompson2294 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@eathompson2294 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@evergreengunnie wrote:

@Rustyben Check for all of them and the same problem happens

using the chrome browser go to https://my.xfinity.com/?cid=cust and select cast from your chrome menu. do you see the cast menu? did you select the one attached to the TV you are watching? did the web page appear on the chromecast device when you changed your TV input to the chromecast dongle HDMI port?

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jenzabell wrote:

that is the only way to cast to your TV. you pay for TV service. the stream capability is a free service and hooking up a TV screen bypasses Comcast's revenue model.

That is patently false and removes culpabilty from Xfinity so I assume you are a paid servant or hoping to be one.  Consider this free Xfinity service which DESTROYS your logic:  Xfinity Stream App on LG or Samsung TV's.  I have Internet only service.  Currently I have only a cell phone and a two year old LG Smart TV.  I can download app on phone.  I can in theory do the same with laptop and casting stick.  But.......wait for it..... Xfinity also has an app baked into the smart TV that allows this streaming as well.  The downside for me and probably 25 million other Xfinity customers is my 2 year old TV is not one of the 3 model series currently working with this new Xfinity app.  So back to my phone.  No reason to block this service from streaming via phone to TV.  As a previous poster said if all devices are on Xfinity network and you are paying for that service than it has ZERO TO DO WITH REVENUE and everything to do with lazy coding.  Period. 

Expert

@NopeWrong wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@Jenzabell wrote:

That is patently false and removes culpabilty from Xfinity so I assume you are a paid servant or hoping to be one.  Consider this free Xfinity service which DESTROYS your logic:  Xfinity Stream App on LG or Samsung TV's.  I have Internet only service.  Currently I have only a cell phone and a two year old LG Smart TV.  I can download app on phone.  I can in theory do the same with laptop and casting stick.  But.......wait for it..... Xfinity also has an app baked into the smart TV that allows this streaming as well.  The downside for me and probably 25 million other Xfinity customers is my 2 year old TV is not one of the 3 model series currently working with this new Xfinity app.  So back to my phone.  No reason to block this service from streaming via phone to TV.  As a previous poster said if all devices are on Xfinity network and you are paying for that service than it has ZERO TO DO WITH REVENUE and everything to do with lazy coding.  Period. 

i'm retired from a major retailer and volunteer my time. the roke and tv apps all are 'beta'. it was announced that it is 'currently free' for last 2 years as they test for customer owned equipment (TV/roku for example) not paying for a cable box. while it is free now, that is clearly subject to change as per the announcment of the beta stream app on this forum.