Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Xfinity TV Go Download Storage Location

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity TV Go Download Storage Location

Is there a way to move the downloaded movies from the App's default main storage drive location to the extended Micro SD drive that my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0" has or initially direct the download to that location and then play the movie from that drive?

Now I would like Comcast to tell me why they are unable to modify the app to allow storage at a designated storage location as everyone seems to agree it is a necessary function!

Accepted Solutions
New Poster

Re: Xfinity TV Go Download Storage Location

Exact same question... although I have more space on my tablet... not enough for a long trip... Get it together Comcast!

All Replies
Official Employee

No there's not
New Poster

Well, that single decision makes the entire app useless. My tablet has 1GB of RAM, 8GB of internal storage, and a 32GB SD card. The app uses internal RAM, so I can barely store one episode of a TV show. Totally useless. I bought the SD card for the purpose of storing video. Why would the app *not* use the biggest card?

New Poster

This is exactly why we dispise Comcast control freaks make this avbailable please or does comcast own a dram factory. You can still encode the file so it will only play on the device its was downloaded to if you don't know how to do that talk to apple they are experts at it. I purchase my Smiths album over 30 years ago  I'm sure Morrisy doesn't care how I listen to it but Control freaks like comcast and apple who are looking to make an extra buck care a lot under the premise of protecting the artist. Horse $h!T

New Poster

Dealing with the same frustration.  The help desk told me the app would download the movies to the same memory space where the app was installed.  I was able to move the app to SD Card (so my Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-P5210 told me), but the movies still downloaded to main memory.  Just uninstalled and then re-installed the app - guess what - there is no option to specify the memory space where you want to install it.  I'll move the app to the SD Card again and then try another download, but I don't expect better results.

Hey, Comcast Applications Product Manager - as a fellow Product Manager I spend a lot of my time talking and more importantly listening to customers.  So, a few of your customers here are saying that we'd really like the ability to specify the destination memory space when downloading movies to go.  The whole reason I bought the SD Card is to load it up with movies for my long plane rides to go visit customers.  Seems to me that the ability to use additional memory like an SD card is an important miss for this application.

New Poster

I concur with the other comments. The ability to designate the download destination is absolutely critical when you have a tablet with very limited storage space on the main device location. Comcast . . . Please give us the right to change the default storage location on our Android tablets so we can use the auxiliary SD storage card. Thank you.

Regular Visitor

Ditto the previous comments. I can barely store an episode on my device storage, so PLEASE let these get stored on the SD card!

New Poster

Exact same question... although I have more space on my tablet... not enough for a long trip... Get it together Comcast!

New Poster

It could be a great app if they had thought about storage
New Poster

Agreed, Comcast app is pretty useless if you can't designate where the files are downloaded.

Silver Problem Solver

It's probably out of their hands. The media companies probably want to force local storage for security reasons.

New Poster

can I watch a youtube video on my flat screen through xfinity or is there a way to view it directly through my tv. I don't want to download it, just play it on out out tv screen from my ipad.

New Poster

Has anyone found the space where the files are downloaded? I'd like to delete the files I've already watched. It seems that deauthorizing my phone in order to get rid of viewed files is a bit extreme

Frequent Visitor

I understand that the TV App does not allow downloads to be stored on the SD card instead of device storage, even though the TV APP itself has been moved to the SD Card.  

Does anyone know why this is set up this way?  Seems like a no brainer to store movies on the SD Card considering that most Devices don't have a lot of extra memory available.

Tags (1)
New Poster

So based on this thread, it is a year later and Comcast/Xfinity has YET to correct this issue. In trying to download some programs to watch on a long flight I will be taking in a few days, I am running out of internal storage space and unable to move the shows I was actually able to download, to the external memory card. This is an awesome feature, one I am sure the satalite companies are not even close to offering yet, and the Comcast Apps team did not plan for and still have not corrected this issue. Is it to be assumed that customers would just stream the shows?? Even as expensive as Comcast packages are, I still defend to others (and myself now) why I have stayed loyal. The purpose of the TV to GO app was to be innovative.. Comcast/Xfinity has manged to do that however, what good is innovation if it is not fully functioning to its ability?

Frequent Visitor

My storage was thankfully  cleared when I returned the downloaded movie to the DVR.

New Poster

I have the same concern. The inability to store downloaded content on an SD card does nothing to "protect the content" from play on unauthorized devices. That is the function of whatever DRM (Digital Rights Management) system that is used. Any parties with the motivation and capability to circumvent DRM would find exporting data from native storage a trivial exercise. If intentional decision was mad not provide this capability on the basis of securing intellectual property, it is founded on gross misperceptions, serving only to interfere with a considerable percentage of customer's legitimate use of this service.

Silver Problem Solver

curiousgh wrote:

Has anyone found the space where the files are downloaded? I'd like to delete the files I've already watched. It seems that deauthorizing my phone in order to get rid of viewed files is a bit extreme

I have, but it's been quite some time, so I don't remember the exact path. It was something that I needed to use root access to get there, and even then I don't think the files were named obvious things like show names, but instead, were a bunch of small files named random numbers, and weren't even stored in a normal video format.

However, if simply deleting the shows you watched is your goal, you don't need to do this as the app lets you delete shows...

New Poster

No, you cannot watch a youtube video through xfinity.  You need something that will allow you to send media to your tv from your computer.  This can be done via a direct cable (vga or hdmi) or using something like chromecast, apple tv, or your built in tv application allowing youtube.  

Xfinity will not allow you to do it, or not that I am aware of.

Contributor

Do you think this will ever be fixed?

Silver Problem Solver

If you have android, I think there are apps out there that let you redirect an app's data to an SD card, but you probably do need root to do it. It would be better if the XFINITY TV app just supported it natively though.

However, keep in mind that you can only have a max of 10 things downloaded on the device at a time, so don't go thinking you can stick in a super huge SD card, and download hundreds of shows to it.

Expert

Year+ old thread being closed.