Community Forum

Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

New Poster

Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I recently added Stream TV to my account because the sales rep told me that I would be able to watch on my TV without a cable box.  I have been able to download the Stream TV app to my phone, but when I look in the google play store on my Android TV, I can't find the app.  I have also looked for the app on my PS4 and Xbox 360 and have been unable to find it.  
 
I tried to cast from my phone to my TV, but the app tells me that those options are disabled.  
 
I put the APK file from my phone on to a USB stick and loaded it on my TV, but it crashes a few seconds after I load it.  
 
I only added the Stream TV service because the sales rep told me I could watch it on my Android TV without a cable box.  Since this is how the representative sold me this service as described, I assume that I must be doing something wrong. 
 
How do I make the Stream TV app work on my TV?  Is there a special link for Android TVs?
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@TheThirdStrike wrote:
I recently added Stream TV to my account because the sales rep told me that I would be able to watch on my TV without a cable box.  I have been able to download the Stream TV app to my phone, but when I look in the google play store on my Android TV, I can't find the app.  I have also looked for the app on my PS4 and Xbox 360 and have been unable to find it.  
 
I tried to cast from my phone to my TV, but the app tells me that those options are disabled.  
 
I put the APK file from my phone on to a USB stick and loaded it on my TV, but it crashes a few seconds after I load it.  
 
I only added the Stream TV service because the sales rep told me I could watch it on my Android TV without a cable box.  Since this is how the representative sold me this service as described, I assume that I must be doing something wrong. 
 
How do I make the Stream TV app work on my TV?  Is there a special link for Android TVs?

I'm sorry but the agent was incorrect - perhaps they were confused about Android mobile devices versus Android TV devices. There is an app for Roku which is in public beta.  Otherwise, you are limited to watching on mobile devices since AirPlay and Google Cast are restricted due to programmer rights.

 

You can, however, watch select programmer apps on Android TV by signing in with your Comcast username and password (e.g. HBO Go, I believe is supported).

 

-ComcastDan


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

This is more incorrect information as Comcast blocks the ability to sign into premium 3rd party subscription sites (HBO go, starz, Showtime anytime to list a few off the top of my head) with Android TV apps.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

To make matters worse, they don’t allow you to cast from the app. I just want to watch something in 1080P which I can do via the app. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

You should probably inform your marketing department that we are unable to use Android devices. I, uselessly, bought an Android computer device specifically to watch Xfinity Stream after being told that all I needed to do was to hook a computer, on my home network, to my tv and I'd be all set. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I have had success casting to my Android TV from my laptop, but the Android app does not allow you to cast it from your phone or tablet. Also, I attempted visiting the Xfinity Stream website with Chrome browser in desktop mode on my TV, but it displayed a message stating that the Stream website is only compatible with Windows and Mac OS devices. So, that was a no-go.

 

So, your only option for successfully streaming to your TV, in my experience, is by casting from a Windows or Mac device. I read something at some point that someone had success rooting their Nvidia Shield TV and installing the TV Stream app, but I have not attempted rooting my Shield or my TV, so I cannot confirm that it works.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I just got off the phone with Comcast and although there have been consistent complaints about the lack of third party streaming app support on Android TV, they're apparently "currently working on it." I find it hard to believe that they support Apple TV, Samsung TV, Roku TV, and Amazon Fire TV, yet the issue with Android TV is only because they haven't finished. There has to be a more logical and probably infuriating reason as to why they do not offer support for Android TV. It's ridiculous how all the large ISPs are listed except for Comcast, just another example of poor service. 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I agree this is not fair, that we cannot enjoy xfinity stream, because you guys won't make a app for andriod tv boxes, or even apple boxes, how can we enjoy streaming cable we pay for already? sometimes i want to watch a certain show and cant even cast it, cant do nothing but watch it on the phone, this is 2017! we should have the app avalible to us 

Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I can't get the xfinity TV app to work on my android marshmallow. Works fine. On my other phone with marshmallow? I also had to install Netflix via apk file. Play store said. Phone was not compatible. It's android 6.0
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

It’s not on fire tv or fire stick. I can only watch xfinity stream on my Apple device which by the way suks because I don’t want to be on my phone after work I just want to relax and watch tv but I can’t
Regular Contributor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@fmc08 wrote:

I just got off the phone with Comcast and although there have been consistent complaints about the lack of third party streaming app support on Android TV, they're apparently "currently working on it." I find it hard to believe that they support Apple TV, Samsung TV, Roku TV, and Amazon Fire TV, yet the issue with Android TV is only because they haven't finished. There has to be a more logical and probably infuriating reason as to why they do not offer support for Android TV. It's ridiculous how all the large ISPs are listed except for Comcast, just another example of poor service. 


They don't support Amazon Fire TV. Not that I have seen. I even tried side-loading the Xfinity Stream app on both the generation 2 Fire TV, and a 2017 Nvidia Shield TV, and the XFinity Stream app just crashes. The XFinity app is not available on the Google Play Store for the NVidia Shield TV, even though the Shield TV runs full Android 7.x, which is why I tried side loading it.

 

I also have not seen any support for Apple TV or Samsung TV. Only Roku. Android TV, as stated above is currently not supported, even when you try and side load.

 

In all my testing, and hopes to watch XFinity Stream TV on something other than my Android phone, Android tablet, or Roku, I have only been able to hook a PC to our TV with an HDMI cable and watch XFinity Stream TV via a web browser. However, even the newly supported Firefox browser on Amazon Fire TV will not run Stream TV. It simply redirects you to the Xfinity app on Amazon, which does not work on the Fire TV. The Xfinity Stream App on Amazon appears to only be for the Fire tablet.

 

Hope this helps others.

Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

Hello all, the information that (DKPeppard) shared is correct. You cannot use our app (Xfinity Stream) to stream to your TV using a fire stick or mirror the screen on any device at this time. You can purchase a Tivo or Roku device to use our app to stream onto your TV if you don't want to rent a cable box from us. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I have Amazon Fire TV and have not been successful with it either. Over half of the network apps will allow you to sign in with a cable provider but Xfinity isn't listed as an option. Comcast doesn't want you streaming on a TV. Period. If they let us do that, then they can't charge us all for the boxes! Comcast needs to wake up and realize people are fed up with the money they are being charged unnecessarily. Streaming TV is everywhere. It's 2018, they need to evolve like all the other companies yet they are continually "working on it". Can't even stream via my tablet/phone that is connected by an hdmi to my TV anymore. We used to have that option but they blocked that over a year ago. Greed.. All it is.. pure and simple greed. Tried every way possible to get xfinity stream onto fire tv box, roku, and even checked into the Nvidia. No option to freely download directly from device and if sideloaded, it still doesn't work properly.
Official Employee

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

 

Hello guest87, I understand that you desire to view all of your TV subscriptions outside of the Xfinity stream app. We do listen to customer feedback, please click on this link and submit your request to our management team so that it can be considered.


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I submitted feedback.  I hope others do the same, it's really time for Comcast to step up and support one of the best platforms out there.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

This is part of what I received back:

 

"I do want to assure you that Comcast is not blocking the streaming show of HBO Go or Showtime Anytime. As long as you have s subscription to both, you will be able to view them on any computer, table or mobile phone. I do apologize that at this current time Comcast does not have an agreement with Nvidia to allow streaming. You can contact the manufacturer of the devise to find out more information."

 

Agreement with Nvidia to allow streaming?  This sounds like Comcast wants money to enable HBO Go, Showtime Anytime etc to work on Nvidia Shield.  Those apps on the Shield work perfectly well with most other ISPs... hmmmm.

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

Soooo, I appreciate you telling us that it won’t work. I think the main question is; when will it be supported?
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

First of all, this is true regarding wanting to stream rather than rent cable boxes. Clearly Comcast has no intention of allowing anyone to stream rather than pay 9.95 a month for a cable box without a fee. Currently, the Xfinity Stream (beta) app is ONLY available on Roku devices and even when you log into it, it says when it leaves the beta state, a charge will be incurred for using the service, likely $7.95 (the price of a cable card). SECOND OF ALL, it isn’t lack of NVIDIA support, it’s the platform!!!!! Android TV is currently the only well-known platform that Comcast doesn’t allow 3rd party app support for anything! Showtime Anytime, NO, HBOGo, NO, STARZ, NO, MaxGo, NO!!!! I refuse to give them money for premiums for this reason....I pay for Showtime Now and when HBO is no longer free, I will pay for HBO Now. It’s better that way anyway because Comcast’s crappy boxes will never support 4K when these apps will so stop giving them your premium channel money!!!
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I found an old version of Xfinity stream.. called Xfinity TV, before it was called stream. I have an old android media box running Jelly Bean. This old app works perfectly on my old Android device. I am able to watch FULL TV line up, along with FULL ON DEMAND shows/tv/movies after I login to my Xfinity username/password via my old android tv media box with the old Xfinity TV app. 
 
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I beg to differ ComcastDan.  The way I read the 22 April 2016 FCC Brief, MVPD's are encouraged to provide alternate platforms for viewing and , if fact, Xfinity TV used to work with ChromeCast but that functionality was disabled with Xfinity Stream near as I can tell.  For those of us who travel, it would be nice to be able to access the content that we pay so dearly for on something bigger than a mobile phone or tablet when we're away from home. The Roku solution is a non-starter as it only works when connected to xfinity internet.

Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@jmanderson42 wrote:

I beg to differ ComcastDan.  The way I read the 22 April 2016 FCC Brief, MVPD's are encouraged to provide alternate platforms for viewing and , if fact, Xfinity TV used to work with ChromeCast but that functionality was disabled with Xfinity Stream near as I can tell.  For those of us who travel, it would be nice to be able to access the content that we pay so dearly for on something bigger than a mobile phone or tablet when we're away from home. The Roku solution is a non-starter as it only works when connected to xfinity internet.


the producers of content (that pay for the the talent and production costs) determine how their programming is allowed to be distributed and that has nothing to do with the FCC/FTC. Comcast offers the Stream TV app at no additional charge to enable us to watch on our smart devices. The Roku is still in a public free beta if you would like to try the current stream app beta in your home.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I came here specifically because I was considering moving back to Comcast for TV, internet and mobile. Currently have ATT for internet and mobile and PS Vue for TV. If comcast were up with every other provider and offered apps across all platforms it would have been the final sell for me. I guess it should it should not be surprising that Comcast is still the most restrictive and cares little about customer service.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I have the stream app on my phone.
Works fine. Also if you have a Roku and if you have Showbox or terrarium TV on your phone you can cast from your phone through your TV and watch a wide arrange of movies and TV shows. You have to download "All Screen" from Roku store and from the Google play store for you phone. Must have on both devices.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

Looks like there will be an Xfinity App for ALL devices within the next year:

 

https://www.fastcompany.com/90205212/comcast-is-totally-ok-with-you-not-having-an-xfinity-set-top-bo...

 

Personally, can't  wait for Fire TV, Android TV and Samsung.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

Tried the Roku box but only works on xfinity WiFi. No help for RV travelers. How about starting by letting xfinity stream app on phone or iPad screen cast to smart TV or connect via HDMI.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I downloaded the Xfinity stream app. I repeat "STREAM" app onto my Android TV box. Downloaded and installed fine. Won't play. Says to disconnect casting and HDMI capabilities. I find it very strange that I can download and install a streaming app that doesn't stream. Lastly, the only reason I really want this app (seems like a very simple task) is for my Android box in my room as I have new hardwood floors that I am not about to go drilling holes in for a cable.
Any help would be great. Any more excuses as to why I can't complete this seemingly elementary task please don't respond.
Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@Parisian2017 wrote:
I downloaded the Xfinity stream app. I repeat "STREAM" app onto my Android TV box. Downloaded and installed fine. Won't play. Says to disconnect casting and HDMI capabilities. I find it very strange that I can download and install a streaming app that doesn't stream. Lastly, the only reason I really want this app (seems like a very simple task) is for my Android box in my room as I have new hardwood floors that I am not about to go drilling holes in for a cable.
Any help would be great. Any more excuses as to why I can't complete this seemingly elementary task please don't respond.

there was a recent article that stated the app would work on many more TV set brands/models toward the end of the year. right now the Samsung models are being rolled out.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I have asked the same quastion lmost a year ago and guy from xfinity (not rep!  - someone from business) totold me that this app should be ready for use in the end of the year. Look like it will not.


@ComcastDan wrote:

@TheThirdStrike wrote:
I recently added Stream TV to my account because the sales rep told me that I would be able to watch on my TV without a cable box.  I have been able to download the Stream TV app to my phone, but when I look in the google play store on my Android TV, I can't find the app.  I have also looked for the app on my PS4 and Xbox 360 and have been unable to find it.  
 
I tried to cast from my phone to my TV, but the app tells me that those options are disabled.  
 
I put the APK file from my phone on to a USB stick and loaded it on my TV, but it crashes a few seconds after I load it.  
 
I only added the Stream TV service because the sales rep told me I could watch it on my Android TV without a cable box.  Since this is how the representative sold me this service as described, I assume that I must be doing something wrong. 
 
How do I make the Stream TV app work on my TV?  Is there a special link for Android TVs?

I'm sorry but the agent was incorrect - perhaps they were confused about Android mobile devices versus Android TV devices. There is an app for Roku which is in public beta.  Otherwise, you are limited to watching on mobile devices since AirPlay and Google Cast are restricted due to programmer rights.

 

You can, however, watch select programmer apps on Android TV by signing in with your Comcast username and password (e.g. HBO Go, I believe is supported).

 

-ComcastDan


 

New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/16/android-tv-app-comcast-xfinity-coming-2018-sony-tvs-first/


@cscoppa wrote:

I submitted feedback.  I hope others do the same, it's really time for Comcast to step up and support one of the best platforms out there.


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

So, the Xfinity solution to streaming is the Roku box. Great! But only works when connected to an Xfinity WiFi. Therefore useless for access while traveling in my RV which is my beef.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I can say the Xfinity streaming app is working on my Sony X900E 4K HDR TV. 

 However A friend of mine has the nvidia shield and no matter what the Xfinity streaming app does not work. The app will load and you're able to login pulls down all the shows and in "All Channels" options, it will pull down the entire TV Guide. Once clicked on a Channel network those dots show up in the middle of the screen like it's getting ready to start streaming. But an error message comes up saying sorry..... disconnect casting and HDMI capabilities...bla bla...

Called Comcast and spoke to a rep for help and information. Describing exactly the problem with the nvidia shield not able to stream using the app. But works on my Sony Tv. The Comcast rep I was surprised that it was even working on my Sony TV. Basically had no answer as to why it was not working on the shield.  His best knowledge was it's not compatible for neither Sony or Nvidia Shield. 

 But yet it's working perfectly fine on my Sony. Seems to me that this Comcast rep is out of touch I'm more less wanted to get off the phone. Leaving it up to the paying customer to research on their own to find out answers. Very Sad 

I have been with Comcast since the day they took over the internet business. I am starting to have second thoughts when leaving Comcast once my contract expires. <Edited for violating forum guidelines> . Awful lot of money per month per year people such as us pay Comcast for service. <Edited for violating forum guidelines> Comcast is not a poor Company by far I feel that they need to spend a little bit more time and listening to their paying customers and keeping up with the market demands. Also training or hiring much more skilled people to become their employees when dealing with paying customers.<Edited for violating forum guidelines>

 I'm sure my message on here will go unnoticed and unread by Comcast. 

 Very sad Comcast was once a good reliable Corporation now it seems they could care less about the little people.... just my opinion and experience in my observation from Reading many forums...

 Good day....

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

My issue is that I can stream Xfinity video to my iPad just fine when I'm traveling; however, as soon as I plug in an HDMI cable to cast the video stream to my RV TV set, I get an error message and the streaming stops. The reps at the local Comcast store told me to get a Roku box. It has the Xfinity streaming app built in. So, I did. That worked fine but only when connected to Xfinity WiFi, so basically only at home. As soon as I connected the Roku box to my mobile hotspot, it quit working. No solution. When I first started traveling with my RV in 2015, it worked. In fact, I could even cast the Xfinity stream from my Android phone to the TV via Chromecast. Not any more. Thus my comment: the price goes up while the service provided goes down.
Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@jmanderson42 wrote:
My issue is that I can stream Xfinity video to my iPad just fine when I'm traveling; however, as soon as I plug in an HDMI cable to cast the video stream to my RV TV set, I get an error message and the streaming stops. The reps at the local Comcast store told me to get a Roku box. It has the Xfinity streaming app built in. So, I did. That worked fine but only when connected to Xfinity WiFi, so basically only at home. As soon as I connected the Roku box to my mobile hotspot, it quit working. No solution. When I first started traveling with my RV in 2015, it worked. In fact, I could even cast the Xfinity stream from my Android phone to the TV via Chromecast. Not any more. Thus my comment: the price goes up while the service provided goes down.

the Roku app is still in beta. final functions have not yet been  given.  you might want to use a desk/laptop in your RV so you can use Chromecast or an HDMI cable to view TVgo channels, much of the on-demand service, as well as completed recordings.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

You may be a "customer expert" but you still don't get it. I can stream directly to my iPad using unlimited 4G LTE data from my mobile provider which provides the best video quality. To stream to my laptop requires that I pay a bit extra to get unlimited 4G LTE hotspot performance to connect the laptop to the internet. The video quality is impacted by the number of devices in the path to say nothing of having to have an extra device tied up just to get streaming video to my TV.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I’m really curious how you got the app for your TV.  Did you get it from the google play store?  I have a very similar TV, Sony X850, and cant find the app anywhere.  Any help or insight is appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

I have no clue why anyone would want the app for a TV in your house or a Roku. What benefit is there over the cable box? Minor cost savings perhaps but inceased complexity.
Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@jmanderson42 wrote:
I have no clue why anyone would want the app for a TV in your house or a Roku. What benefit is there over the cable box? Minor cost savings perhaps but inceased complexity.

it is wireless (capable). It can use eithernet (instead of coax). it is currently free while in beta (saving $10/month). The other channels give you even more options for the TV viewing experience. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

It may be a minor cost to you.
But each box $6 bucks per month ( inverter box) for more than one tv adds up X1 box much more per month if you don't own your own cable modem they charge you rental fee for that as well.
I dont believe in wasted money to give comcast when my bill is high enough.
If there is a free way to save money of doing things that comcast offers the question should be "why not take advantage of their free app and streaming service"... If your not aware Comcast just (1/1/2019) did a 3.3% increase for both broadcast fee and sports regional fee.<Edited for violating forum guidelines>
Some people may be on fixed incomes. <Edited for violating forum guidelines> I admit they try to put affordable packages together <Edited for violating forum guidelines>
However Comcast advertises that they have a low income service program for individual customers that cannot afford cable TV or Internet. But when inquired about such programs there excuse "not in your area"... especially when the known area happens to be low property living in HUD homes... Go figure...
Cheers PAL,

Frequent Visitor

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

The site that I post it is not illegal. The site gives the older Xfinity streaming apps. The newer Xfinity streaming apps tend to have a problem the older ones seem to work fine.
Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.


@Coppernet wrote:
The site that I post it is not illegal. The site gives the older Xfinity streaming apps. The newer Xfinity streaming apps tend to have a problem the older ones seem to work fine.

when you bypass your TV's app store and make your TV appear to be an android tablet (the apk) and use software in that manner, the Digital Millinium Act is violated. the streaming serivce is DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. Ask any lawyer what the penalties are (fines and prison time). simply use a legal Roku device at the moment or rent a set top box and enjoy sleeping easily at night.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Xfinity Streaming app on Android TV.

Year and a half old thread now being closed and to prevent further degradation.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!