Community Forum

Xfinity Streaming and Chromecast

New Poster

Xfinity Streaming and Chromecast

Considering dropping our traditional Comcast service and going with the streaming service...much more economical...but my TV isn't 'smart'.  Can I 'cast' the streaming service to my TV?  Question #2: does the streaming service offer HD?  

Thanks! 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Streaming and Chromecast

dnl wrote:

Considering dropping our traditional Comcast service and going with the streaming service...much more economical...but my TV isn't 'smart'.  Can I 'cast' the streaming service to my TV?  Question #2: does the streaming service offer HD?  

Thanks! 

If you use a pc you can cast using devices like chrome cast or just use an hdmi cable.

Yes some channels are in HD -

"Does XFINITY Stream package include HD channels?
Yes, most channels included in your XFINITY Stream package lineup are available in HD."

Source - https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/stream-faqs/

New Poster

I know I can use a PC, but can I cast to the TV from a phone or tablet using Chromecast or Viziocast (from my soundbar)?
Bronze Problem Solver

dnl wrote:
I know I can use a PC, but can I cast to the TV from a phone or tablet using Chromecast or Viziocast (from my soundbar)?

Casting or mirroring of any kind the screen of a mobile device is blocked when using the app to stream

New Poster

I just had an agent tell me you can cast from a phone but you say you cannot. I believe you because it does not work. The sales agents will tell any lie to get you to sign up.
New Poster

I would suggest giving YouTubeTV a try. Lower price/channel lineup and Chromecast support.

New Poster

We must have had the same sales rep. Bunch of liars!!!
New Poster

I was just told the same lie by an agent in Federal Way!
Expert

@berniespring wrote:
I was just told the same lie by an agent in Federal Way!

it is a national problem but seems to affect the northeastern states area more often. Comcast has not give an estimated time of repair.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

I have the same problem. I can Chromecast from my PC, but cannot on my Samsung Tablet.

CAN SOMEONE HELP????!!!!!!!!!!!

Expert

@JP717 wrote:

I have the same problem. I can Chromecast from my PC, but cannot on my Samsung Tablet.

CAN SOMEONE HELP????!!!!!!!!!!!

the tablet is not allowed to chromecast to your TV. PCs are grandfathered in to the rules (allowed).

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Shucks, guess that's right answer. Appreciate it.

Trying to rebroadcaste on TV in a garage, while exercising with full control.

Guess that ain't gonna happen ^^

Expert

@JP717 wrote:

Shucks, guess that's right answer. Appreciate it.

Trying to rebroadcaste on TV in a garage, while exercising with full control.

Guess that ain't gonna happen ^^

there is a wifi set top box (Xi5) that also can connect via ethernet that might work for you. Possible to pull a coax cable under 200 feet to the garage?

New Poster

YIPES, I am an engineer but too much headache ^^

Thanks for the concern.

Much blessings,

New Poster

Really silly. What’s the diff between tablet and pc? Get with the times Comcast. We still see your stupid ads when we Chrome cast Jeez.
Expert

@CapeFrank wrote:
Really silly. What’s the diff between tablet and pc? Get with the times Comcast. We still see your stupid ads when we Chrome cast Jeez.

pc's use of a tv as a second screen monitor precede DMCA HDCP regulations. and the use is grandfathered into the rules/laws/regulations. Not so for tablets and other smart devices.

New Poster

Thanks for last comment. Too complicated..

may mean Xfinity does not want to help Chromecast? Not,,

Oh well, less TV maybe better for a peace of mind, LOL

Cheers,

Contributor

thus the reason they launched the app replacing the web version --- always wondered why not both .. now we know ... horrendous even if it is because of regulations and not XFINITY's fault (jury is still out I think) - how many times are they going to be allowed to capitalize on something we have already paid for several times over ? In my case I pay for the TV service that includes content, then I pay for Internet to be able to stream such content to all devices including tablets and phones, and I pay for an X1 DVR to be able to record such content - yet I am not able to stream such content to all of the devices .. hmmm I wonder how long before they allow streaming on devices as long as they just happen to be on XFINITY Mobile (I have AT&T) ? Or perhaps they already allow that :-)

@mvenanzi

Expert

@Anon1003785 wrote:

thus the reason they launched the app replacing the web version --- always wondered why not both .. now we know ... horrendous even if it is because of regulations and not XFINITY's fault (jury is still out I think) - how many times are they going to be allowed to capitalize on something we have already paid for several times over ? In my case I pay for the TV service that includes content, then I pay for Internet to be able to stream such content to all devices including tablets and phones, and I pay for an X1 DVR to be able to record such content - yet I am not able to stream such content to all of the devices .. hmmm I wonder how long before they allow streaming on devices as long as they just happen to be on XFINITY Mobile (I have AT&T) ? Or perhaps they already allow that :-)

@mvenanzi 

subscription pays for home TV and internet service and gives you access to other unbilled benefits. the App for smart devices did not replace the streaming website it is just another way to access many of the items in the subscription. If you have a TV with HDMI port open you can use a TiVo or a Roku (in public beta), or chromecast device to stream from a PC. you can play your linear and ondemand and cloud DVR recordings in your home on any smart device, desk/laptop for supported secure operating systems.

Contributor

still looking for additional information in the reply here

i believe the app indeed replaced the site, for the reasons already stated = most importantly, to keep customers from streaming content they already pay for over devices they already own without going through devices that will ultimatley result in additional monthly charges

with all of the multiple prior responses here, you can see that the issue is clearly not how to stream to the TV using a PC ..

it is about streaming to the TV using a device such as a smartphone or tablet, which you used to be able to do usiong the web version as I recall - not with the app

Roku sounds great until you do the research and buy a Roku enabled TV or a stick .. only to find that by "beta" Xfinity really means "soon to become an additional outlet monthly fee"

From what I have found, the plan is to charge customers for yet another an additional outlet (10 bucks/mo) or if you can prove that the Roku is the "primary" way you access xfinity,

then you might save a couple of bucks and pay around 8 bucks instead

again, to be fair, the banning of streaming over devices may really just be about recent regulations or standards related to copyright issues - but xfinity appears quick to capitalize on them if so

complaint remains intact. Figure out how to allow users to stream without paying for the content a third or fourth time.

New Poster

Get a Roku! They have a free Xfinity Beta App that works great! It is basically like having an additional box.

New Poster

The Roku streaming of Xfinity only works without a fee until they finish the beta. After that it will be $10 a month, EVEN THOUGH YOU OWN THE ROKU. Better to stream via one of Comcast's devices. At least if it breaks, they owe you a new one.
Contributor

exactly ... amd good point about just keeping a Comcast device if they are going to charge you $10 anyway

OR ... they could let us stream like we always did through URL not App

starting to weigh the merits of streaming subscriptions only and extremely limited Comcast service ..... not there yet though

@Wkand1977 wrote:
The Roku streaming of Xfinity only works without a fee until they finish the beta. After that it will be $10 a month, EVEN THOUGH YOU OWN THE ROKU. Better to stream via one of Comcast's devices. At least if it breaks, they owe you a new one.

Contributor

sort of - it will be $10 a month unless you can convince COmcast that your primary device is the Roku in which case you might save ... wait for it ...   about $2 per month ... what a deal for content we've already paid for through devices we already own over Internet service we are already paying Comcast for ..

Expert

use of a chromecast device with a desk/laptop is grandfathered in and free. it does use the streaming TV website. there is no charge for using the chromecast with a lap/desktop computer

New Poster

Comcast. You make it absolutely impossible for honest people who are already paying you, to watch tv in their bedroom without a bunch of totally unecessary complications.

I exclusively watch netflix and amazon everywhere else in the house and in our outdoor theater because of this. You are really shooting yourself in the foot for no reason, just to try and enforce silly early 2000's style DRM rules that do nothing to stop theft. You're becoming a dinosaur. 

New Poster

Oh how Comcast laughs as we get the what for. Nothing can ever be convient for the peasents, go forth and spend!