Community Forum

Xfinity Stream no longer works in Chrome, Opera, IE, or Edge

Highlighted
Contributor

Xfinity Stream no longer works in Chrome, Opera, IE, or Edge

I was just watching Xfinity Stream and was prompted with a message to update for the latest features, but after doing so, the play button no longer works on anything.  I use Chrome Stable, but since I know canary uses separate settings being bleeding edge, I tried that to rule out anything in my config and its doing the same thing.  I know Opera uses the same rendering engine and it also behaves the same way.  I tried Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge and get the same behavior.  Only Mozilla Firefox is actually playing content for me right now.

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Stream no longer works in Chrome, Opera, IE, or Edge

Tried to load it again in Chrome and it started working.  I got a notice to reload a new version in my Firefox stream, so they appear to have noticed the issue and fixed it.

Contributor

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Another update got pushed and its broken again.  This time, Firefox is broken, too.

Frequent Visitor

Streaming has never consistently worked for me on any browser or platform. I have had many conversations with customer service that have lasted as long as a movie.

@MadCabbit wrote:

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Another update got pushed and its broken again.  This time, Firefox is broken, too.

Regular Contributor

Make sure Shockwave flash is set to "always activate" in extensions, that was my problem with Firefox.

New Poster

How do you make that setting?  I have the same problem.  Oddley the stream works on my tablet but buffers a lot

Contributor

I've manuallyu activated it and, while it was working earlier, its not working now.  I just set it to always activate and its still not working for me.

New Poster

I am having the same issue using Chrome. 

Contributor

The rep tried to tell me it was corrupt metadata or something on my account.  He tried to fix it and said it would take an hour, but it didn't fix the problem.  Given the updates that I saw pushed, I'm still betting its something they broke for all users, especially now that I've seen a couple other people on the forums here also having problems.

Expert

@MadCabbit wrote:

The rep tried to tell me it was corrupt metadata or something on my account.  He tried to fix it and said it would take an hour, but it didn't fix the problem.  Given the updates that I saw pushed, I'm still betting its something they broke for all users, especially now that I've seen a couple other people on the forums here also having problems.

when playing on chrome do you get a error message and error number?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Not working on multiple browsers for the past 2 days.

New Poster

I get no errors, the 'Watch' textual link is dead. Using Win 7, current versions of FF, Chrome, IE

Contributor

@GunRatz wrote:

I get no errors, the 'Watch' textual link is dead. Using Win 7, current versions of FF, Chrome, IE

Same here, clicking Watch or a play icon does absolutely nothing as if I hadn't even clicked it.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

Just to be clear, I used to work technical support for Comcast.  I know how to troubleshoot a browser issue.  The problem exhibits the same exact issue no matter which browser I use, and yes, flash is enabled.  Since I got a message from the site itself pushing an update, I'm guessing whatever got pushed to the server broke things.  At this point, can you confirm if you're able to go to tv.xfinity.com and get anything to play, because I'd be more interested to know how widespread this really is, and I've yet to see anyone posting saying the site actually works for them since it broke last night.

Expert

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

Just to be clear, I used to work technical support for Comcast.  I know how to troubleshoot a browser issue.  The problem exhibits the same exact issue no matter which browser I use, and yes, flash is enabled.  Since I got a message from the site itself pushing an update, I'm guessing whatever got pushed to the server broke things.  At this point, can you confirm if you're able to go to tv.xfinity.com and get anything to play, because I'd be more interested to know how widespread this really is, and I've yet to see anyone posting saying the site actually works for them since it broke last night.

unfortunately, since the streaming website is just HTML, something else is asking to update. you might check your Chrome extensions and see if something else is tunred on. in your settings menu type flash and the bottom of the menu will have a line that highlights and change flash to 'off' (meaning always let flash run).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

unfortunately, since the streaming website is just HTML, something else is asking to update. you might check your Chrome extensions and see if something else is tunred on. in your settings menu type flash and the bottom of the menu will have a line that highlights and change flash to 'off' (meaning always let flash run).

No, this was an actual Xfinity in page lightbox popup stating that they needed to update the version to the newest, something like "for a better viewing experience".  It was worded in Comcast PR speak basically.  I know the difference between that and a plugin/extension popup.

New Poster

No error messages in Chrome - the Watch button just does nothing.

New Poster

I am having the same issue in Google Chrome. It worked for a little bit yesterday and now is broken again.

Expert

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

No, this was an actual Xfinity in page lightbox popup stating that they needed to update the version to the newest, something like "for a better viewing experience".  It was worded in Comcast PR speak basically.  I know the difference between that and a plugin/extension popup.

a web page doesn't 'need' any updates it is the most up to date automatically. Did you try turning off all your Chrome extensions?

New Poster

It's definitely an Issue on Comcast's end.  

As soon as I did their update the watch option no longer works for me either.  The update killed it in Safari and in Firefox for me.

It sounds like it doesn't matter what browser you use.  The update is the problem.

New Poster

I figured out how to fix the problem on my own.

In my browser general settings the update caused "CONTENT BLOCKERS" to be turned on for the xfinitiy website by default.  I turned "CONTENT BLOCKERS" back off and now the watch option is working again for me.

New Poster

Like the others above, I started having a problem just after a in-screen pop-up from Xfinity.  I applied it and after that the WATCH button (on any of my saved recordings, on any TV GO channel, any streamable live TV Channel) will not work.  You click WATCH and it simply does nothing.

I am using both Firefox (up to date but 'refreshed' anyway just in case) and Safari. Issue is same regardless of brower used.

Yes, I have cleared cache and cookies.  No help at all.

Yes, I have Flash activated, and in my Firefox Plug-ins I have Shockwave set to "always activate". 

For good measure I checked to make sure flash was still permissioned and activated after this install, using the icon that appears in the URL bar. I also checked by Plug-in to ensure "always activate" was still set that way.

I have restared the browser at least 5 time since yesterday

I have restarted the computer twice, in case of any pending updates.

None of these actions helps at all

New Poster

content blocker is not the issue  =  Xfinity is not blocked in my browser settings.

New Poster

I watch on IE 11 on a Windows 7 machine.  I have been watching this way since the beginning of the year.
That "update" came up on me today and afterwards i couldn't get anything to play.  Tried on Chrome, same deal.  I refreshed & reloaded both browsers, still no play.  Even restarted PC.  After that, i could see the shows and play button, but after i hit it, nothing happened.
Using just IE, i reloaded again and am now watching Suits S8E3, yeah.
just hope that their update mellows out.

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

a web page doesn't 'need' any updates it is the most up to date automatically. Did you try turning off all your Chrome extensions?

Yes, I've tried turning off extensions.  The message struck me more that something was changed server side that didn't match the browser cache and it was just forcing a page refresh (that's all it really did), it was just worded like it was an update.

Contributor

I just tried reloading again and now its working for me again.  Hopefully it doesn't break again.

New Poster

Mine streaming is not working at all. I clicked where it asked to update and now the screen looks completely different and nothing loads - at all.  So frustrated as I depend on the streaming every day. 

New Poster

Exactly the same with me. 

New Poster

exactly what happened to me - cannot see a single program

New Poster

With this same problem, tech support had me  sign out of Comcast in my browser and then log in manually to the home page. Clicking on my Xfinity Stream favorite then got me going again - resumed, played and watched live tv. I am not sure if they reset anything, but I am up for now!

New Poster

log out , go to main xfinity.com account page , login and then go to video page. I had been having this same poblem for the last two days and this fixed dvr playback and live tv for me 

New Poster

Thank you

New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

RustyBen you're not helping at all. Just taking up space.

New Poster

thanks

Worked for me, thanks. 

I was having issues with chrome and firefox and nothing else was working. Logging out and back in through the xfinity home page worked

Expert

this thread is for website streaming TV. It has requirements as to operating system and up to date browser. Currently requires up to date flash. The web page needs no other program that 'must be updated'. The site is HTML and needs no extensions. Flash is safest in Chrome as the coders have integrated flash and runs it in a sandbox of memory which maximizes security. If something is asking you to update just close and reopen the browser and go to the browser window and select 'help' then 'about'. you will see the current version and either 'up to date' or will see the browser performing the update. If updated the browser usually asks to relaunch.

Regular Visitor

Same for me.  Since supposed update, can't stream anything, refgardless of which browser.  I can get browser streaming with no problem on my phone and tablet.  No error messages.

Regular Contributor

How did you get an update?

Regular Visitor

The website just said there has been an update to improve the viewing experience. Just now I logged out of the site and logged back in as mentioned above. It works now  

New Poster

bennie2 - This worked for me - Thank you!!!

New Poster

Got it to work in Chrome, but not Firefox by signing out and back in.

Contributor

For reference, this is the kind of update message I was getting.  My service is still working at the moment, but this is not a message from a web browser extension.

xfinitypopup.png

Expert

@MadCabbit wrote:

For reference, this is the kind of update message I was getting.  My service is still working at the moment, but this is not a message from a web browser extension.

when you hover over the ok button do you see the link in the status bar? if you right click on it and open in a new window does a window open? what is the url address. I definitely would not 'install' from that popup. If using Chrome, click on the triple dots in upper right corner and select help then about. the update will show there for chrome if one is available and automatically update. 

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

when you hover over the ok button do you see the link in the status bar? if you right click on it and open in a new window does a window open? what is the url address. I definitely would not 'install' from that popup. If using Chrome, click on the triple dots in upper right corner and select help then about. the update will show there for chrome if one is available and automatically update. 

There is nothing to install.  The "Update Now" button just forces a page refresh.  This isn't a message from a trojan, its a lightbox popup from the site itself.  It's working for me now, anyway.  

Expert

@MadCabbit wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@MadCabbit wrote:

There is nothing to install.  The "Update Now" button just forces a page refresh.  This isn't a message from a trojan, its a lightbox popup from the site itself.  It's working for me now, anyway.  

comcast does not insert "lightbox popups" at all. something else is 'inserting' that into the HTML stream. glad it is working now.

New Poster

Hi ya'll, so today I am having issues playing on Opera. I do get an error message, as follows....

ftde.xact.3365.0

Any thoughts?

Figured it out... I am in private window and that does not allow Xfinity to play. If I open a regular Opera page, it works fine...

Thanks

New Poster

today is 12-30-18 and i got to sit on the phone with comcast for over an hour for the to end the call telling me it was a microsoft problem.  Since it works on microsoft edge browser and not google chrome, i think that's not true.  Bottom line, it's the end of the year and it still doesnt work on google chrome

New Poster

Well, it never asked me for an update.  it just refuses to work on chrome.  works in microsoft edge, so, unlike the comcast employee that told me it's a microsoft problem, I am smart enough to not further waste my time contacting microsoft when clearly its an xfinity problem.

Expert

@chandra303 wrote:

Well, it never asked me for an update.  it just refuses to work on chrome.  works in microsoft edge, so, unlike the comcast employee that told me it's a microsoft problem, I am smart enough to not further waste my time contacting microsoft when clearly its an xfinity problem.

when running on chrome do you get a message on the screen?