Community Forum

Xfinity Stream bit rate / resolution

Regular Contributor

Xfinity Stream bit rate / resolution

Does anyone if Xfinity stream via ROKU is also down rezzid like linear X1 Xfinity (live tv feed via cable box) ?

Expert

Re: Xfinity Stream bit rate / resolution

@Waqas1 wrote:

Does anyone if Xfinity stream via ROKU is also down rezzid like linear X1 Xfinity (live tv feed via cable box) ?

the answer depends on so much other information. the home X1 uses video streams on QAM channel and the same stream (in stereo) is provided to the just in time encoder to stream to smart devices and websites. The stream rates (feed) on cloud provided streams depends upon the speed/quality of your device's connection to Comcast. Comcast has to reduce the streamed content detail to send at lower and lower bitrates. this rate can change while you are watching via a stream app. Some cell data carriers limit video streaming to SD quality also.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I am referring to Xfinity Stream via the ROKU assuming you are on a WIRED/HOME WIFI Connection.  Same applies for cell phone.  The reason i ask, is because certain channels that are not availble in HD are availble via conventional X1 Linear Streaming are availble in HD via Xfinity Stream via Roku or mobile.  So assuming you have a tip top connection what would the bit rate be and would the resolution be superior to traditional xfinity linear x1 ?

My connection is absolute flawless download that is.  178 mbps down.  

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

I am referring to Xfinity Stream via the ROKU assuming you are on a WIRED/HOME WIFI Connection.  Same applies for cell phone.  The reason i ask, is because certain channels that are not availble in HD are availble via conventional X1 Linear Streaming are availble in HD via Xfinity Stream via Roku or mobile.  So assuming you have a tip top connection what would the bit rate be and would the resolution be superior to traditional xfinity linear x1 ?

My connection is absolute flawless download that is.  178 mbps down.  

the stream to the roku if internet is fine is same as for the QAM delivered stream on X1 (except for audio 2.0) . I've no idea why the roku would only get 2.0 but some have reported the stereo only. might just be for Roku in beta.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

so its compressed ?

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

so its compressed ?

the networks provide on local channels mpeg2 video streams and on cable HVEC which is recoded to mpeg4 currently. all mpeg are similar to zip files in that redundant parts of the image are not repeated. If that is what you call compressed, then yes. for lower bit rate needs (cell data speed limited) the stream can be stepped down in 'quality' so that the stream fits in the available down stream data stream. for in-home good wifi the stream will be 'full' stream with exception (unknown why) of audio being only 2 channel.

Frequent Visitor

2018 roku ultra, hardwired, 290-300Mbps tested with a laptop on that cable. Sports (basketball, football, hockey) on the Xfinity stream app look like absolute garbage. Most non-fast moving programs look great, but sports are unwatchable.  

Frequent Visitor

Re: XFINITY Stream on Roku

I have the newest version of the roku ultra, hardwired, 290-300Mbps tested with a laptop on that cable. HD Sports (basketball, football, hockey) on the Xfinity stream app look like absolute garbage, a pixelated mess. Most non-fast moving programs look great, but sports are almost unwatchable.  It's a night/day difference between the X1 box and the stream app.  Is this 'normal'?

Expert

@Dexter9 wrote:

2018 roku ultra, hardwired, 290-300Mbps tested with a laptop on that cable. Sports (basketball, football, hockey) on the Xfinity stream app look like absolute garbage. Most non-fast moving programs look great, but sports are unwatchable.  

usually this is for local stations only since there is no 'interlaced' channel via cable. have you tuned your roku to test patterns and set up the TV's HDMI interface for the Roku input HDMI port? what is the output of your roku resolution setting?

Expert

Note: I combined your cross-posts into one thread. please do not post same or similar information/question in multiple threads. 

Frequent Visitor

Sorry about the cross post.. I stumbled on a thread in this forum via a google search for my issue, then found a better spot for it.

The issue does seem worse on local channels. A recording of a football game from a local channel looks poor on a Roku (looks fine on the x1 box though). While a game playing on NFL network right now looks fine on Roku. 

This doesn't make sense to me.. Why would a recording look like it's much more compressed on the Roku than it does on an X1? It's not a bandwith issue

The Roku is set to 4k @ 60hz

Expert

@Dexter9 wrote:

Sorry about the cross post.. I stumbled on a thread in this forum via a google search for my issue, then found a better spot for it.

The issue does seem worse on local channels. A recording of a football game from a local channel looks poor on a Roku (looks fine on the x1 box though). While a game playing on NFL network right now looks fine on Roku. 

This doesn't make sense to me.. Why would a recording look like it's much more compressed on the Roku than it does on an X1? It's not a bandwith issue

The Roku is set to 4k @ 60hz

if the internet connection is good the roku should have same image as the x1 since both are mpeg4 or mpeg2. check the ouput settings of that set top box. is it at 720p? 1080p? then check the settings of the roku output resolution, does it match the set top box?  Note that each HDMI input has separate 'remembered' settings in your TV menu. you can set the brighttness, contrast, sharpness, color saturation, tint, and some advanced settings. normally if you set any 'game' setting to off the picture will look better.

Frequent Visitor

Both the X1 box and the Roku are set to 4k (2160p) 60hz, both HDMI ports support that, 2018 Samsung 8 series. I've even flip flopped hdmi ports, Roku recording always looks bad, x1 always looks fine.

No matter what, the recording on the Roku looks terrible, I have 2 sets with Roku ultras and a TCL 4k roku set. All are hard wired and all easily get 300Mbps speed tests.  This specific recording that I've been testing with  (NFL game on a local channel) looks highly pixelated on all Rokus, but looks fine on the X1 box.

I have no trouble at all getting perfect 4k content on youtube, netflix or amazon on any Roku.. Xfinity Stream app quality is just not good for some reason.

Wish I could figure out how to add a photo to this post

New Poster

Same problem here.  Unwatchable.

Expert

@Dexter9 wrote:

Both the X1 box and the Roku are set to 4k (2160p) 60hz, both HDMI ports support that, 2018 Samsung 8 series. I've even flip flopped hdmi ports, Roku recording always looks bad, x1 always looks fine.

No matter what, the recording on the Roku looks terrible, I have 2 sets with Roku ultras and a TCL 4k roku set. All are hard wired and all easily get 300Mbps speed tests.  This specific recording that I've been testing with  (NFL game on a local channel) looks highly pixelated on all Rokus, but looks fine on the X1 box.

I have no trouble at all getting perfect 4k content on youtube, netflix or amazon on any Roku.. Xfinity Stream app quality is just not good for some reason.

Wish I could figure out how to add a photo to this post

if you step back the roku to 1080p and set up the video on that port to get the best image (using for example the netflix 'test patterns' series) for brightness, contrast, gamma, sharpness) and turn off all preprocessing (like game/cinema, motion smoothing, etc).  You can change it back to 4k when using a 4k app like netflix). the TV probably has better upsampling circuitry for displaying the content on its own screen.

Frequent Visitor

I must say I have a new Roku 4K stick and running on wifi with a gigabit connection.  The xfinity stream looks quite good on a 40" set in 1080.  I set the Roku to 1080 and really it looks quite good.  I had one month free trial of Youtube TV and I must say it looked better, maybe even better than the X1 box on my big screen through Apple TV.  I have not tried the Xfinity streaming app on anything except the 40" LG and a 24" monitor and it looked good if not great on both...it may not look as good on my 77"