Community Forum

Xfiniti Streaming is skipping content

Frequent Visitor

Xfiniti Streaming is skipping content

When I navigate to tv.xfinity.com to watch my DVR tv shows, I've noticed that my 60 minute shows have 45 minutes of content.  And my 30 minute shows maybe have 22 minutes of content.  When I use my dekstop to watch my DRV shows, it is skipping content.  Meaning it skips from one frame to another.  This has occurred for the past two maybe three weeks now.  And it never used to do that.  I've tried watching my DVR tv shows not only on my desktop computer, but I tested it on another desktop computer at another location other than my home and I experience the same issue.  Both are on Google Chrome running Windows 10.  I tested this on IE as well - same issue.  How do I resolve this?

To add - when I watch my DVR shows at home on my TV, I don't have this problem.

Expert

Re: Xfiniti Streaming is skipping content

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

MsKrystin, I've seen your private message to Joe, so I'll follow up with you there. 

KenF

Frequent Visitor

Is there an update on this issue? I am having the same issue with my xtv.comcast.net site and the Xfinity Stream app on my phone. 

Frequent Visitor

I was told there was a known issue in my area, they are looking into it, but no ETA on a resolution.

Expert

@harkirath wrote:

Is there an update on this issue? I am having the same issue with my xtv.comcast.net site and the Xfinity Stream app on my phone. 

Does the home DVR copy of the same program play normally without skips?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Expert

@MsKrystin wrote:

I was told there was a known issue in my area, they are looking into it, but no ETA on a resolution.

Does the home DVR copy of the same program play normally without skips?

New Poster

I’ve been having the same issue for a month now. The home DVR does not skip, only if it’s on any devices (for me specially my iPhone and iPad) The only way I’ve found for this not to happen is to delete my recording and then watch the On Demand version of the recording, but of course have to sit through the commercials and don’t have fast forwarding functionality. If anyone finds out a fix to this, please let me know!! So frustrating...
Expert

@bethanyjacobs wrote:
I’ve been having the same issue for a month now. The home DVR does not skip, only if it’s on any devices (for me specially my iPhone and iPad) The only way I’ve found for this not to happen is to delete my recording and then watch the On Demand version of the recording, but of course have to sit through the commercials and don’t have fast forwarding functionality. If anyone finds out a fix to this, please let me know!! So frustrating...

@ComcastKenF has been responding to these posts. 

New Poster

Is there an answer to this issue? I have been having the same problem.

New Poster

I'm having the exact same issue, the new player overall streams VERY poorly since it's release...the skipping (seems sections were deleted) started today, HOWEVER, your Advertisments play flawlessly....go figure.

@ComcastKenF wrote:

MsKrystin, I've seen your private message to Joe, so I'll follow up with you there. 

KenF

Expert

@ComcastKenF monitors this thread when in office.

New Poster

I'm having this same problem. Please assist!

New Poster

Same problem here. Please advise

It appears like the app connection with the system is not strong enough and take seconds to reconnect, so the result is skipping comtent, disconnecting and reconnecting. 

Very frustrating

Any action from my side works, I have tried everything. 

New Poster

Same issue for me. Has been going on for months.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem.   Xfinity Stream plays real-time TV shows OK, but consistently skips parts of scenes and has trouble where it is within the playback, from one minute to the next, but ONLY with recorded shows.   My understanding is that Stream only plays from the cloud, NOT from the DVR.   I tried watching a couple of Xfinity recordings.  Unwatchable due to skips.   I moved closer to my WIFI and DOWNLOADED the same shows to my iPhone 6.   When played back, THESE SAME SHOWS SKIPPED IN THE SAME PLACES.

Thus, this is NOT a matter of Xfinity doing server load sharing, and us getting lapses during the switches.  No, this means the VIDEO FILE IS CORRUPTED ON COMCAST SERVERS.   There is nothing we can do about this by reloading Stream, rebooting, etc. etc. etc.   

Please fix this ASAP Comcast, or provide a monthly discount for services not rendered. 

Expert

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.

New Poster

My stream hasn't been working correctly for several months. The shows skip over 5, 10, 15 minutes. This happens on ALL devices. phones, tablets and computers. We can now only watch DVR'd shows on TV. I do not have a virus, and all updates have been done.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, and besides losing track of the playback location within the recorded file (skips, jumps, etc),  I also have continuing problems with multiple audio streams playing concurrently and lockups.  I can usually "fix" the multiple audio streams by jumping backward or foward, which seems to reset Stream's player.   These are problems with my recorded (Xfinity Cloud) shows.  The same shows play just fine on my DVR.   I can also usually play live TV shows on an iPhone 6 without problem.    I check download speeds to be around 24 Mbps.   I am pretty sure that some recorded files are corrupted on the server, as they seem to upchuck at exactly the same point at the same time in the playback, when played back multiple times.   This makes it unlikely (IMO) that the issues are due to switching between servers due to load leveling.    If it IS the latter, the is a repeatable aspect to this which should be easily identifiable.  

Contributor

I’m having the same problem on the Xfinity Stream app for Roku.
New Poster

I have been experiencing the same issues on multiple devices for several weeks now. The skips happen at the same spots in the show no matter what streaming device is used (Except for the cable box its self). This is obviously not a connection issue.

Please help resolve this issues

Expert

@dipasqut wrote:

I have been experiencing the same issues on multiple devices for several weeks now. The skips happen at the same spots in the show no matter what streaming device is used (Except for the cable box its self). This is obviously not a connection issue.

Please help resolve this issues 

there is a known issue that affects random customers for random amounts of time. It appears that during peak times some servers are at over capacity for programs to be recorded. The errors cause the servers to move customers around to less 'full' servers over time.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

Can you link to an official post with this knowledge, please, as well as whatever key words are needed when talking to customer support to get this problem taken seriously?

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben

You keep making the same statement about balancing server loads, while the data strongly suggests that this is NOT the cause.  Dynamically balancing server loads might well result in skips, etc., but such skips would NOT happen at the same time in the playback, when played repeatedly.   Nor, would the skips happen at the same point in the playback, AFTER BEING DOWNLOADED TO THE PLAYBACK DEVICE.   The files are corrupted, or the playback engine is messed up.    Please move on to some other excuse.  

Expert

@Mikie2 wrote:

@Rustyben

You keep making the same statement about balancing server loads, while the data strongly suggests that this is NOT the cause.  Dynamically balancing server loads might well result in skips, etc., but such skips would NOT happen at the same time in the playback, when played repeatedly.   Nor, would the skips happen at the same point in the playback, AFTER BEING DOWNLOADED TO THE PLAYBACK DEVICE.   The files are corrupted, or the playback engine is messed up.    Please move on to some other excuse.  

the issue is being worked on by Comcast and affects the recording itself when it is made. Comcast said it is being worked on, no manual fix is possible, that as server capacity is added, the systems migrates users from busier servers to less busy servers. 

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Mikie2

the issue is being worked on by Comcast and affects the recording itself when it is made. Comcast said it is being worked on, no manual fix is possible, that as server capacity is added, the systems migrates users from busier servers to less busy servers. 

Can you please link to an official source that acknowledges the problem and describes it as a capacity issue?  The only official posts I've seen on this probelm have only ever asked for more information.  I have not seen an official post that acknowledges the probelm and states that it's being worked on, no less that it's a capacity issue.

I've had 15-30 minute chunks taken out of normally scheduled recordings this week and it's pretty infuriating when this is, say, a live sporting event that does not repeat.  

Frequent Visitor

It's not a capacity isssue.    It's a file corruption issue.   In general, stuff is moved around at server farms all the time, without corruption.   Imagine if your bank lost chunks of your files.   Yeah, it's not exactly the same, but the ability to create uncorrupted files, whether moving stuff from server to server, or not, is in the end a programming issue.    

If you want to be the god-king of media, from creation to delivery, you'll have to step up, Xfinity!

Frequent Visitor

I just caught this live, watching All In with Chris Hayes, program ID 5064998174375437105, recording ID 8408709398533922112, at around the 18 minute mark.  I was watching it with a few minutes delay, when the program simply stopped, with the last frame frozen on the screen.  The progress bar was not moving.  

When are we going to get an official acknowledgement from Comcast about this issue?  If the DVR can not act as a DVR then the service is not worth the few hundred dollars a month I'm paying for it, and I'm sick of it.

Frequent Visitor

This is happening right now, as I'm typing this, still on MSNBC.  The live feed is not streaming either!  Program ID 5064998174375437105, recording ID 5120784063126795112

Edit: Yup, skips in fits and bursts about three minutes ahead, starting at about four minutes in.  Still going in and out.  Absolutely unacceptable.

Customer Service Diagnostics

Build number
OS
Windows 10
Browser
Chrome 66.0.3359.181
Flash version
Status
in home
Entitlements
tve-vod, tve-linear, cvod, est, clinear, cdvr
Last fingerprint
cloudtv_web_polymer_4.10.0_prod_1526692366538_56551
Stream provider
primetime
Video ID
tvgrid/listing/2006424105190100109/detail/?channelId=8152510188999567104
Stream ID
tag:xfinitytv.comcast.net,2013:channel-station:5608086763860174117:chNum:790:callSign:MSNBC#stream:format:HLS
Error code
TVAPP-00206
Error description
Loading of the specified resource has failed
Error aux info
http://ccr.linear-nat-pil-red.xcr.comcast.net/MSNBC_HD_NAT_18292_0_8348966700753924163.m3u8?format=r...
Video Provider
790 MSNBC
Video Source
TVListingDetail
Video Title
Rachel Maddow
Regular Visitor

This issue just started for me.  Same as everybody else described, show recorded on DVR but streaming on Safari browser.

If this is an issue of shuffling me to a new server, isn't that a one time event?  It should only impact one show.  But this seems to be most of my recent recording.  That would seem to indicate Comcast is under resourced as this is constantly happening.

New Poster

I have been having the same skipping problem for about a month.  Please advise.  

New Poster

I'm having this issue with shows I recorded through the Roku app. I get to a certain point in the show and can't get past it, it resets to the start. If I'm being particularly persistent, I can go back to the place it stopped and sometimes get another minute or 2 but essentially it's making these recordings unwatchable. Would love to see official response from Comcast/Xfiniti and word on when we might expect to see a fix.

Expert

@lmzbooklvr wrote:

I'm having this issue with shows I recorded through the Roku app. I get to a certain point in the show and can't get past it, it resets to the start. If I'm being particularly persistent, I can go back to the place it stopped and sometimes get another minute or 2 but essentially it's making these recordings unwatchable. Would love to see official response from Comcast/Xfiniti and word on when we might expect to see a fix.

the Roku can't access the home DVR only the cloud DVR. does the recording work on an X1 TV in the home?

Frequent Visitor

I recently started having the same problem.  I watch almost all my recordings through my PC or tablet and not through the DVR.  There's little point in the tv service or the DVR if I can't watch my shows on my PC or tablet.  The inability to schedule recordings online or through the app was already a pretty aggrivating change.  This issue better be resolved quickly, or they will lose this customer of 12 years.

New Poster

+1 for severe skipping on xfinity streaming website (cloud dvr), normal playback on home dvr.

(These forums could really use a "me too" button to show how widespread the problem is without everyone having to post a message IMO)

Frequent Visitor

Lots of posts about the problems. No posts with solutions, or even acknowledgement that the problem is being worked on. Is this forum just a waste of customer’s time?
New Poster

Same problem here.  Every means of watching except from the DVR is unusable.

New Poster

Same problem here. Recorded shows are skipping and incomplete, which makes the DVR feature useless/pointless/unusable/garbage. Please fix this problem COMCAST/XFINITY. We are paying customers after all so it's not like we're asking for a "favor" here. Thanks.

Expert

New Poster

I am having the same problem and have gotten no help at all from Xfinity. I pay my bill in full each month and receive fewer and fewer services! Online content is useless/worthless if it's incomplete. Come on Comcast, FIX THE PROBLEM! 

New Poster

Is there any resolution to this, or has it been ongoing? I have recently been affected, and ALL my shows skip and make them unwatchable unless I am watching directly on the DVR connected to the TV. What a useless service we are paying for if this is unresolved and not addressed when clearly many people are having this issue. And please, don't reply to me with the canned response I've seen about some overloaded servers. That is NOT the issue - the shows skip at the exact same time no matter what device I watch on, including on the web on my PC.

Frequent Visitor

Yeah.   All we have gotten for months is an extremely questionable canned response from a non-Comcast volunteer.  The "random events due to overloaded servers" does not fit the reported conditions (multiple reports), yet is the only response we get, and is clearly complete <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Circumventing Language Filter"> 

There are real customers who are experiencing these issues REGULARLY, and at the same point in cloud recordings.   If Comcast wants to actually DO something, I am happy to be an information resource and/or tester.   On the other hand, if the best Comcast can offer is a technical equivalent <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory/Political"> then forget it.  Misdirection and doublespeak doesn't fix software problems.    <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Frequent Visitor

It appears there is no fix for this so I cut the cable.  I will have internet and phone but no TV. I will miss some favorite shows but won't miss paying hundreds of dollars a month for DVR recordings that I cannot watch. 

Expert

@hooey wrote:

It appears there is no fix for this so I cut the cable.  I will have internet and phone but no TV. I will miss some favorite shows but won't miss paying hundreds of dollars a month for DVR recordings that I cannot watch. 

your home DVR service worked fine though, right? it was just the streaming of completed recordings?

Frequent Visitor

"your home DVR service worked fine though, right? it was just the streaming of completed recordings?"

Yes, yes, yes.   Read. The. Problem. Descriptions.

(although there are also issues with live TV streaming...)

WHY IS THERE NOT A COMCAST RESPONSE TO THESE ISSUES?

New Poster

I don't have a regular DVR, just the cloud DVR.

New Poster

I have been having this skipping problem for about 3 weeks now. When I try to watch shows on https://tv.xfinity.com/recordings half the time I get an oops we didnt expect that or the show only show 36 mins of and hour show and skips ahead all the time. I've tried calling and chat and both times about 45 minutes into the conversation, they just hang up or go away. They never mention a fix or even stating they know about the problem.

If comcast doesnt do something quick they will loose hundreds of thousand of customers.

New Poster

I’ve experienced this issue for over a year now. We have iPhones and iPads. Our systems and apps are always up to date. We regularly restart our devices. This happens on shows that we have downloaded and shows that we are just trying to watch from our DVR.

Once a show “skips” on one device, it skips on ALL devices. Sometimes the skipped content is less than 3 minutes for an hour long show. I’ve also had a show that was an hour long show up on my iPhone displaying only 22 minutes available. On my devices the entire show time will display as less than the recording on my DVR.

This is extremely obnoxious. Especially when you consider how much I am paying each month. Xfinity - when are you fixing this issue?
Frequent Visitor

Nothing but crickets from comcast reps in this thread??? But replying in others interesting.

Can someone from comcast update your customers on this issue please??

Adding  my experience for over a month now: 

DVR recorders have no issues when watching on TV with the X1 box. Try watching recorded shows in a browser, or streaming app skips a few minutes a random times throughout the one hour recording.

Frequent Visitor

Just had the best one yet.  A 60 minute show down to 8:31.  Xfinity has one more week to get their act together or I'm gone.  I'm not going to hold my breath though since there's apparently people who have had this "temporary and random" problem for months.  I'm not in IT, but it can't take a company like Comcast more than a month to get more servers in place, which is supposedly the solution to the problem.